U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times

Advertisements

I would start by asking what the neighbor's plans are, so I can plan for it... and perhaps let them know that if they wanted to place the driveway over *here*... it would keep the lights from shining in my windows at night, and keep them from having to drive by my house! - Or whatever benefit there is to him in doing it that way - if that's how it lays out. I don't know, not sure I'm picturing the layout, but I don't understand *not* at least trying to talk to a neighbor with whom there is a common interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 AM

3,545 posts, read 1,991,975 times
His property so I’d keep your mouth shut. Like a steel trap shut!

Old 03-24-2018, 09:19 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,500,789 times
I don't see how the OP could go to the neighbor and tell them to put a curved driveway, possibly adding extra cost, on their land to get to their own easement, changing the look of their front or side yard. You can always mention how much more fun sliding sideways on a curve is on ice or plowing out a curved driveway instead of a straight line.

I've heard a saying Doubt means don't. If you have doubts about it don't ask. It may not be rude or intended to be rude, but if it's taken as rude than it's your problem now.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:20 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times
IF there's additional cost, perhaps the OP would be willing to pay it.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would start by asking what the neighbor's plans are, so I can plan for it... and perhaps let them know that if they wanted to place the driveway over *here*... it would keep the lights from shining in my windows at night, and keep them from having to drive by my house! - Or whatever benefit there is to him in doing it that way - if that's how it lays out. I don't know, not sure I'm picturing the layout, but I don't understand *not* at least trying to talk to a neighbor with whom there is a common interest.
It's not a common interest. It's the OP's interest. Maybe the new homeowner will suggest you get black out curtains if a few seconds of headlights offends you so much.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:24 AM

1,528 posts, read 725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would start by asking what the neighbor's plans are, so I can plan for it... and perhaps let them know that if they wanted to place the driveway over *here*... it would keep the lights from shining in my windows at night, and keep them from having to drive by my house! - if that's how it lays out. I don't know, not sure I'm picturing the layout, but I don't understand *not* at least trying to talk to a neighbor with whom there is a common interest.
I don't really disagree.

But also the OP does have something to lose in terms of his/her continued use of the easement as if it were his/hers. Legally the neighbor presumably has to allow him/her to use it but he's new in the house and he might not fully appreciate all of this and may have a different attitude to THEIR use of HIS driveway on the easement. I don't necessarily mean that he would try to prohibit it but he can become 'prickly' about the OP's use of it.

This is part of why I cautioned having this discussion. They are not just any neighbor...they are a neighbor who depends on the use of HIS easement. If I were the new neighbor, I would be very sensitive to a neighbor who has an easement for MY land starting to talk like it's THEIR driveway/easement. Let's keep in mind that this is a new relationship. The new neighbor does not know all the history and may be protective that this neighbor does not abuse HIS easement and starting to talk about increasing traffic, etc throws up all kinds of red flags if I'm the new neighbor. The OP really needs to make sure that they don't give signals like this. It's not their easement, it's not a shared easement, it's HIS property.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Lets say the OP talks and the new owner agrees to go out of their way to make a curved driveway because they agreed and didn't think of the pros and cons.

Then it becomes a case of no good deed goes unpunished and the guy resents having had done this and now there is animosity with a neighbor.

Then you get outdoor security floodlights going into your windows all night, instead of a few seconds of headlights and hearing a car in a neighbors driveway that you would have heard anyway if it wasn't curved, and it's not traffic noise because it's not a constant hum and no one does 60 in their driveway.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

This is part of why I cautioned having this discussion. They are not just any neighbor...they are a neighbor who depends on the use of HIS easement. If I were the new neighbor, I would be very sensitive to a neighbor who has an easement for MY land starting to talk like it's THEIR driveway/easement. Let's keep in mind that this is a new relationship. The new neighbor does not know all the history and may be protective that this neighbor does not abuse HIS easement and starting to talk about increasing traffic, etc throws up all kinds of red flags if I'm the new neighbor. The OP really needs to make sure that they don't give signals like this. It's not their easement, it's not a shared easement, it's HIS property.
I don't think the OP even says they use that easement they said the house behind the property or something like that does. but why even push people's buttons when they are upset and can spend hours just trying to see what they legally can do to make you pay for being "rude" or resent what they did if they agreed to it.

It seems silly that people only consider themselves and are so selfish they want others to change their plans because of driveway noise or a flashing headlight. Something so trivial can create WW3.

If the noise bothers you invest in a sound barrier wall or if the lights bother you put up a wooden or plastic fence to block the light.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Lets say the OP talks and the new owner agrees to go out of their way to make a curved driveway because they agreed and didn't think of the pros and cons.

Then it becomes a case of no good deed goes unpunished and the guy resents having had done this and now there is animosity with a neighbor.

Then you get outdoor security floodlights going into your windows all night, instead of a few seconds of headlights and hearing a car in a neighbors driveway that you would have heard anyway if it wasn't curved, and it's not traffic noise because it's not a constant hum and no one does 60 in their driveway.
Or they decide to put a gate on the easement without discussing it with her. Trust me, easement disputes can be NASTY. The OP is lucky if they have not had any issues in the past. But it's a new neighbor and anything can happen now.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I don't think the OP even says they use that easement they said the house behind the property or something like that does. but why even push people's buttons when they are upset and can spend hours just trying to see what they legally can do to make you pay for being "rude" or resent what they did if they agreed to it.

It seems silly that people only consider themselves and are so selfish they want others to change their plans because of driveway noise or a flashing headlight. Something so trivial can create WW3.

If the noise bothers you invest in a sound barrier wall or if the lights bother you put up a wooden or plastic fence to block the light.
Ahhh...I think you are right. I misunderstood. I thought this was the OP's access route as well but I don't think that's the case after rereading. Ignore my comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or