U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 10:20 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times

Advertisements

Right.... we get it. Some people are difficult and the answer might be no.

OKAY

On edit.... There's also some chance there is a favor this guy might want... wishes he could take down a tree of yours that blocks his view of the mountains. Maybe he travels a lot an would like a friendly neighbor that keeps watch over his place when he's gone. You. just. never. know. unless. you. ask.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 10:43 AM

10,271 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right.... we get it. Some people are difficult and the answer might be no.

OKAY

On edit.... There's also some chance there is a favor this guy might want... wishes he could take down a tree of yours that blocks his view of the mountains. Maybe he travels a lot an would like a friendly neighbor that keeps watch over his place when he's gone. You. just. never. know. unless. you. ask.
A pushy inconsiderate person would ask you to go out of your way and ask you to curve your driveway so it is not a direct line to your own easement. dot dot dot.

the difficult person would be the one asking you to change your driveway on your own land.

So you ask and they agree and now you are beholden to them?

You can ask about my tree, if you pay for it and give me some time to think about it I will weigh the options.

Asking someone to keep a watch while you are gone is good neighborly things not asking for you to ask you to change your driveway.

And we don't even know what the OP wants.

What if the new owner can just make a straight line to the easement they own, but the OP wants them to take some of their own lawn area to create a driveway all the way to the main road?

The OP is only thinking about themselves not about what's best for their neighbor or resale value, etc.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 AM

12,305 posts, read 10,052,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
No. The easement is on his land but was previously only used by a landowner behind his property. It runs along a fence row and the property line.

I understand he can do whatever he wants as it is his land. I am hoping he would consider a direct route to his house rather than going the extra distance down the easement.

I guess maybe the best course is to keep my mouth shut.
So it's all his land? Then I would keep my mouth shut. Be a good neighbor who minds their own business. If it's all his land, why do you care where he puts his driveway?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am concerned about additional traffic since the easement was only used once a week at most. Also because if he builds direct to the easement then I will be getting headlights shining on my house.

Like I said I understand he can do whatever he wants.
Traffic? It's a driveway to a house not a shopping mall. If you wanted control over who builds and how they build on the lot next to you, you should have bought and built a house on it the way you wanted it or kept it as additional acreage.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Lets say the OP talks and the new owner agrees to go out of their way to make a curved driveway because they agreed and didn't think of the pros and cons.

Then it becomes a case of no good deed goes unpunished and the guy resents having had done this and now there is animosity with a neighbor.

Then you get outdoor security floodlights going into your windows all night, instead of a few seconds of headlights and hearing a car in a neighbors driveway that you would have heard anyway if it wasn't curved, and it's not traffic noise because it's not a constant hum and no one does 60 in their driveway.
Totally wouldn't be the first time someone does this with floodlights! There was a thread on here previously complaining about the neighbor lighting their yard at night. The neighbor complained and they aimed the lights at her/his house. Sometimes it's just best to keep your mouth shut and not start the Hatfields/McCoys round 2.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:10 AM

1,528 posts, read 725,886 times
Quote:
So lets avoid all people because some are hard to deal with?

I say go talk to him, peaceably, and see. There IS a common interest in peace. The guy may have no opinion at all where his driveway goes, or it may help him for his own reasons, to ease a corner, or come in from a different place... he may actually like the idea. You never know.

If the relationship is going to blow up if you look at the guy sideways, then that's also good to know sooner rather than later.
Yeah but you're a nice person and you know how to deal with difficult people (not sure how I would know this...). And things just work out for you. You could probably ask them to put it completely on the other side of the property and they'd agree. But that's just you. Not everyone has that gift.

Last edited by just_because; 03-24-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Yeah but you're a nice person and you know how to deal with difficult people (not sure how I would know this...). And things just work out for you. You could probably ask them to put it completely on the other side of the property and they'd agree. But that's just you. Not everyone has that gift.
I thought you said grit. She's probably tell them to put a helipad in instead of a driveway and tell them to park on the street and they would do it , and then she would complain about the helicopter noise.

Instead I think the OP should tell the new homeowner that they can only own Prius or fully electric cars that don't make traffic noise, now if it's a Prius they can't go over 25 MHP on their own driveway so the gas engine doesn't start to cause traffic noise, also force them to make sure the headlights can be turned off while the car is driving up their own driveway so it doesn't startle you while you are in your home.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-24-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:01 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I think I'll just quit while I'm so far ahead on this one!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM

9,866 posts, read 8,007,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Does it directly affect you?

If not, nah, don't bother.

Or you could just have a friendly new neighbor conversation and ask how he came to the decision on where to place the driveway. At that point, ask if wants a different idea.

Not a big deal.
Of course it does. Why would he raise the issue?

Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think I'll just quit while I'm so far ahead on this one!
Yes great advice to tell a busy body to go to their neighbor's property and tell them where to place their driveway and become the laughing stock of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or