U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:04 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,223,164 times

Advertisements

The property next door to me sold recently and the guy is already digging a well on the property. His new homesite is about even with where my house is and there is an existing easement along the property line.

He can either build the drive directly towards my house and connect to the easement OR he could put the driveway in at a point closer to the road and connect to the easement past my house. It would sort of be at an angle.

I am wondering if it would be rude of me to suggest the latter or should I just keep my mouth shut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:06 AM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times
If you have an alternative that might be better for both of you.... now would be the time to at least bring it up.

I have a feeling it needs a picture though! For us, and for the new neighbor!

Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 AM

10,270 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The property next door to me sold recently and the guy is already digging a well on the property. His new homesite is about even with where my house is and there is an existing easement along the property line.

He can either build the drive directly towards my house and connect to the easement OR he could put the driveway in at a point closer to the road and connect to the easement past my house. It would sort of be at an angle.

I am wondering if it would be rude of me to suggest the latter or should I just keep my mouth shut?
Tell him closer to the road would be better for him, tell him the advantages is less snow to plow after a snowstorm, Less cost with less asphalt, etc.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I don't know how to post a hand sketch to the internet but it would be a basic "left triangle" where the short side would be direct to the easement and the alternative being an additional 100 feet of driveway +/- .

There is more cost (but not much) in doing the angled drive and it would be a direct to his home instead of having to drive along the easement and then turning. There is probably little other advantage.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM

By easement do you mean it's your land but he has the right to build his driveway on it to get to the road?

Old 03-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
By easement do you mean it's your land but he has the right to build his driveway on it to get to the road?
No. The easement is on his land but was previously only used by a landowner behind his property. It runs along a fence row and the property line.

I understand he can do whatever he wants as it is his land. I am hoping he would consider a direct route to his house rather than going the extra distance down the easement.

I guess maybe the best course is to keep my mouth shut.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 1,792,183 times
Does it directly affect you?

If not, nah, don't bother.

Or you could just have a friendly new neighbor conversation and ask how he came to the decision on where to place the driveway. At that point, ask if wants a different idea.

Not a big deal.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
No. The easement is on his land but was previously only used by a landowner behind his property. It runs along a fence row and the property line.

I understand he can do whatever he wants as it is his land. I am hoping he would consider a direct route to his house rather than going the extra distance down the easement.

I guess maybe the best course is to keep my mouth shut.
Good guess, I don't even understand why you would care if it's his land.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Good guess, I don't even understand why you would care if it's his land.
I am concerned about additional traffic since the easement was only used once a week at most. Also because if he builds direct to the easement then I will be getting headlights shining on my house.

Like I said I understand he can do whatever he wants.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I am concerned about additional traffic since the easement was only used once a week at most. Also because if he builds direct to the easement then I will be getting headlights shining on my house.

Like I said I understand he can do whatever he wants.
I wouldn't consider a car going in and out of a driveway traffic and a few seconds of headlights is not going to blind you in your home. I think you are worrying too much about minutia that you have no control over. Let it go.

and now hearing the whole story, I think yes it would be rude to tell them where to place their driveway and a horrible way to start a neighborly relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or