U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2018, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Mendocino, CA
858 posts, read 477,486 times
Reputation: 561

Advertisements

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...45_rect/15_zm/

In the picturesque surrounding of Hawaii, I see some homes have cesspool as wastewater solution. My understanding of cesspool is just an open pit where water gathers. Wouldn't this mean there is foul smell all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM
 
10,274 posts, read 6,510,807 times
Reputation: 10855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...45_rect/15_zm/

In the picturesque surrounding of Hawaii, I see some homes have cesspool as wastewater solution. My understanding of cesspool is just an open pit where water gathers. Wouldn't this mean there is foul smell all the time?
Do you mean a septic system and a drain field? Because those should not smell if they are taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Mendocino, CA
858 posts, read 477,486 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Do you mean a septic system and a drain field? Because those should not smell if they are taken care of.
No I am talking about a real *cesspool*. At least that's what is said in that particular listing:

UTILITIES
Power: Overhead
Wastewater: Cesspool

I think this is not septic, because some neighboring properties do say "septic" as opposed to cesspool. It seems there is a difference, but I don't know for sure. Hence my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2018, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Athol, Idaho
2,182 posts, read 1,057,258 times
Reputation: 3184
I sold a house with one of these and it is underground. I think you are thinking it is out in the open. No it didn't smell, but here people only have them because they are from decades ago and grandfathered in. If you decide to do any major work that requires a permit you have to replace it with a real septic. And you can't get a permit to build a new one. Hawaiis laws may be different.

I would describe it as a system like a septic, but with no tank. An underground hole/pit. Google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 05:29 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 727,401 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I sold a house with one of these and it is underground. I think you are thinking it is out in the open. No it didn't smell, but here people only have them because they are from decades ago and grandfathered in. If you decide to do any major work that requires a permit you have to replace it with a real septic. And you can't get a permit to build a new one. Hawaiis laws may be different.

I would describe it as a system like a septic, but with no tank. An underground hole/pit. Google it.
It could mean a lot of different things but it IS essentially a just a tank rather than a whole system of dealing with waste like a septic system is. So pretty much the opposite of what you say.

I know people with this kind of waste tank and they live in 'delicate' areas where a septic is not possible or permitted (which may explain why it might be more common in Hawaii but I don't know).

In the cases I'm talking about, it's essentially a modern, watertight tank that collects ALL of the waste (drains, toilets, washing machines, etc) from the property and it needs to be pumped out weekly or fortnightly as waste water has no other place to go. Crudely it's like a holding tank in a camper which collects everything and needs emptying frequently. Unlike a septic system which 'processes' the waste, leaches out the liquid, and only needs cleaning every few years or so.

other cesspools may differ from this - e.g. old leaky tanks that leach out liquid.

Last edited by just_because; 03-24-2018 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,833 posts, read 2,058,876 times
Reputation: 10577
I would definitely ask the listing agent about that.

There are a few areas around here that I know of, where the land is a big slab of granite, and there is no way to build a septic system. One area has water views and history that makes people want to live there anyway, and they pay for it by having a big holding tank that gets pumped every month or two.

Perhaps parts of Hawaii are that way too! Would not be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Athol, Idaho
2,182 posts, read 1,057,258 times
Reputation: 3184
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
It could mean a lot of different things but it IS essentially a just a tank rather than a whole system of dealing with waste like a septic system is. So pretty much the opposite of what you say.

I know people with this kind of waste tank and they live in 'delicate' areas where a septic is not possible or permitted (which may explain why it might be more common in Hawaii but I don't know).

In the cases I'm talking about, it's essentially a modern, watertight tank that collects ALL of the waste (drains, toilets, washing machines, etc) from the property and it needs to be pumped out weekly or fortnightly as waste water has no other place to go. Crudely it's like a holding tank in a camper which collects everything and needs emptying frequently. Unlike a septic system which 'processes' the waste, leaches out the liquid, and only needs cleaning every few years or so.

other cesspools may differ from this - e.g. old leaky tanks that leach out liquid.
We aren't talking about the same thing at all. What I am talking about did not have to be pumped out every week and was as I had described it. Looking at the wiki page for this and it means different things . What I'm describing is just one way to do it or maybe an older idea than yours. Anyway, they are something that isn't encouraged.

Last edited by I love boots.; 03-24-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 727,401 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
We aren't talking about the same thing at all. What I am talking about did not have to be pumped out every week and was as I had described it.
It's essentially a tank, no matter how often it has to be pumped out. Frequency of emptying it obviously depends on the usage, the size of it, if it leaches out, etc. But it's not like a septic with the absence of a tank, it's generally a tank with an absence of "a septic" (system).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:41 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 727,401 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would definitely ask the listing agent about that.

There are a few areas around here that I know of, where the land is a big slab of granite, and there is no way to build a septic system. One area has water views and history that makes people want to live there anyway, and they pay for it by having a big holding tank that gets pumped every month or two.

Perhaps parts of Hawaii are that way too! Would not be surprised.
Yes, that's exactly the kind that I've encountered. Great property but for whatever reason you can't have a septic system and the closest public sewer line might be miles away. Yes, the trade-off is the pain of dealing with the tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2018, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Athol, Idaho
2,182 posts, read 1,057,258 times
Reputation: 3184
[quote=just_because;51406467]It's essentially a tank, no matter how often it has to be pumped out. Frequency of emptying it obviously depends on the usage, the size of it, if it leaches out, etc. But it's not like a septic with the absence of a tank, it's generally a tank with an absence of "a septic"

If you Google it there is cesspool and cesspit. I am describing the second one. Either way, I wouldn't want either one but want to reassure the OP it is most likely not a stinky puddle on the surface of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top