U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 12:00 AM

576 posts, read 451,736 times

Advertisements

I am currently getting a mortgage arranged and want to move. I am curious about how many real estate agents you would contact? Would it be a bad idea to have several looking for a place in an area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:47 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,067,645 times
We chose a buyers agent listed with an established agency and he helped us find the right neighbourhood and Home in a week. He listened to what we were looking for and out lifestyle needs.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:53 AM

1,528 posts, read 731,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I am currently getting a mortgage arranged and want to move. I am curious about how many real estate agents you would contact? Would it be a bad idea to have several looking for a place in an area?
I think it's helpful to know why you think several agents looking for you would be better than one. It's a good idea to interview a few before you select one (and before any of them do any work for you or show you anything). But not try to work with more than one, in my opinion.

With the tools available today, simply finding a house is very easy. Even agents say that many people come to them already knowing what they want to buy or at least having a very good idea from internet.

So having multiple people out there finding houses for you will probably not lead to a better outcome. In fact it's likely to just create territory disputes and other distracting nonsense between agents. Not a criticism of agents as sales people of any kind need order and certainty over territory.

For example, any business that just hires a load of sales people and lets them all sell anything to anyone in a given market will likely create chaos and you'll be resolving territory disputes most of your time and the sales people will spend far too much energy making sure they will get paid rather than someone else claiming the sale. The clients will lose, the sales people will lose and the business will lose. Not much different trying to use multiple buyer's agents in the same area. Bad strategy for most.

Last edited by just_because; 03-24-2018 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 06:00 AM

33,059 posts, read 12,565,295 times
We usually contact about half a dozen before we find one that has a clue about what we are looking for.

Some just don't get it. One agent we contact in Minnesota showed us trailer houses out in the country though we were clear we were looking for a home in town. After a day of looking at old trailers on weed-infested plots, we moved on.

Others would only show us listings from their agency.

Realtors are now insisting that buyers sign a buyers agreement stating they will only look with that one agent. I would never do that.

Whenever we are looking for a house, we are serious about it and want to find a place pronto. We don't have time to waste with realtors who won't be of assistance with this.

Some are slow to respond. Keep lining up homes that won't work. Try to show us a half dozen homes and then say pick one.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 AM

31,654 posts, read 55,431,790 times
Quote:

Contact as many as you wish, to find one you think is a good match.

If contacting several, how would you settle on who would show you property and represent you in the transaction?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 AM

3,841 posts, read 2,071,903 times
Quote:
Yes. It is not a bad idea to interview several agents, but it is best to choose one you will work with. It is a bad idea to have several people out looking for you, each of which may be working the same territory with you and probably finding the same listings, all believing they are the one who would represent you in an eventual sale. An agent is using real time and real money and real gas to help you... and that's our job... but it isn't fair to use us if we have no promise of compensation at the end.

Many will require an buyer's agency agreement, and that's not a bad thing, in fact it's a good thing. Don't fear it, just talk to them about it. In some areas, it is vital to have a written agreement to ensure that the agent works for you, not the seller. In all areas, it clarifies the roles in the relationship. In turn, it promises that the agent will be compensated if you buy a home. And if you decide the relationship is not working, make sure you can break it. I know I would not want to work with a client who no longer wanted to work with me. And I think others here would agree, the purpose of the agreement is NOT to hold someone against their will if the relationship sours, it's to make sure there aren't multiple agents out duplicating work, all with the hope and promise of compensation at the end... when in the end, you are only buying one home.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:10 PM

5,889 posts, read 7,117,417 times
Certainly nothing wrong with speaking with a few different agents and finding a good fit. The only time I would recommend using multiple agents in an area is if it's a large metro area where agents tend to specialize in some sub-areas. i.e. In Chicago I wouldn't use the same agent for the south suburbs as I would for the north suburbs or even in the city.

In most areas, one agent should be able to help you.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:22 PM

8,861 posts, read 17,468,555 times
Quote:
Don't have a bunch start looking. They won't really commit to you. Instead interview as many as it takes to find a good one and commit to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or