U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 07:35 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,723,243 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done this the past year or 2 and how much does it cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 04:46 AM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
New construction home, or upgrading an existing home?

But, regardless, the stairway layout can have a great impact on the cost, too.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM

748 posts, read 672,368 times
Too many variable to quote an accurate cost.
I had oak stairs put into my PA house that had previously had carpet over plywood. I love it as I did not want any carpet in this house. There was some extra work involved and I had it done about four years ago. I think I paid about $2000-$2500 for the whole job with materials.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:05 PM

7,781 posts, read 6,128,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
New construction home, or upgrading an existing home?

But, regardless, the stairway layout can have a great impact on the cost, too.
it's new construction, that I know from post history.

It depends on a lot of variables - stair layout/quote being among the highest.

I'd add - it depends on whether it's real hardwood vs engineered on the stairs, and on the first floor. and on what the flooring on the second floor is.

If it's engineered first, carpet second, and they want to talk about actual hardwoods on the stair treads, pass (IMO).

But that's a "personal" opinion based on seeing all types. Professionally, what has your Buyer's agent input been?

Old 03-25-2018, 04:58 PM

8,852 posts, read 17,450,334 times
Probably depends on style and location. When I repped a semi-custom builder we charged $800 for it.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:48 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,723,243 times
Appreciate all the response so far.

Brandon, does $800 include materials?

BoBromhal, I haven't found new builds using non-engineered real hardwoods. As many Americans had, I was shocked when I first saw fake hardwoods. This was back in 2007. However, for stairs, I have no idea how they will use engineered hardwoods because the side that will be visible (not the top) would show slices.

However, if I get outsider to make me real hardwoods, they may not match the flooring and that is also important to me. I'm really curious how they would do the side.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM

8,852 posts, read 17,450,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post

Yes. 3 1/4 red oak treads stained to match stairs. If you went into something pricier depending on wood or plank width it could of course get more expensive. I'm also in an area where cost of living is affordable. Market pricing probably varies by location.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 AM

31,622 posts, read 55,349,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Appreciate all the response so far.

BoBromhal, I haven't found new builds using non-engineered real hardwoods. As many Americans had, I was shocked when I first saw fake hardwoods. This was back in 2007. However, for stairs, I have no idea how they will use engineered hardwoods because the side that will be visible (not the top) would show slices.

However, if I get outsider to make me real hardwoods, they may not match the flooring and that is also important to me. I'm really curious how they would do the side.
For engineered wood, there are a couple of possibilities for stairs.
The wood manufacturer may sell stair treads.
Or, they may sell tread nosing parts. The nosing is the edge you would see, and the rest of the tread completed with engineered wood.

There are some related photos here:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...6A&FORM=IQFRBA

Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM

19,043 posts, read 10,066,076 times
Have you confirmed your builder even offers this option? I built 3 years ago and my builder didn't. I have solid (not engineered) hardwood on the first floor and in the loft and hallway of the 2nd floor but carpet on the stairs in between because that was the only choice I had.

I've considered having wood treads put in but over time, I've made peace with the carpet. It's quieter, easier on the knees and I think safer esp. because my son takes his shoes off the second he walks in the door and I worry about him slipping on the stairs in stocking feet.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:59 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,322,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Have you confirmed your builder even offers this option? I built 3 years ago and my builder didn't. I have solid (not engineered) hardwood on the first floor and in the loft and hallway of the 2nd floor but carpet on the stairs in between because that was the only choice I had.

I've considered having wood treads put in but over time, I've made peace with the carpet. It's quieter, easier on the knees and I think safer esp. because my son takes his shoes off the second he walks in the door and I worry about him slipping on the stairs in stocking feet.

Our builder didn't over the option either and I probably wouldn't have done it at the time anyway for several reasons. For one I have kids and two the builder always charges more. That's fine if you would rather have the cost in your payments, but it can be done much cheaper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or