Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,485,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have to agree that even if houses below $50K do exist in some cities, they will still be less than desirable. You might regret that purchase. It might be a better idea to rent. There are plenty of advantages to renting.
I think there have been enough examples provided in this thread to show this isn't always true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
My sister and Brother in Law bought a home in Arkansas for under $20,000. Not sure how big the lot is, I was thinking 5 acres. They have spent $40,000 to date fixing it up. For them this home is a hobby of sorts. They own homes in California and Arizona. My brother in law wants to retire to Arkansas and both of them love the home they are fixing up. I guess it can be done.

On a side note, realize that the area they bought has no jobs.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,309,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think there have been enough examples provided in this thread to show this isn't always true.
Yes.

Either way, the OP didn’t specify the houses had to be in a desirable area. The only criteria were less than $50k and livable.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:48 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes.

Either way, the OP didn’t specify the houses had to be in a desirable area. The only criteria were less than $50k and livable.
Nor did he state they had to be updated lovely newer houses. He's looking for a decent home that is livable. There have been more than a few examples here of that.
I don't know why some people don't understand that part of the conversation. People are responding as if they themselves are being forced to move and live in them.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:26 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,397,795 times
Cando, North Dakota.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/6_zm/1_fr/?

I'm tempted to buy it myself except for the ND thing. Location location location.

(I'm just having fun. I passed through ND on vacation two years ago and thought it was pretty cool. Plan to go back there and hang out when I have more time.)

Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
This made me laugh outloud!
A lot of people have that response to Camden, NJ. I've never understood why Camden hasn't become more desirable. There ARE little pockets of OK -- and even nice -- neighborhoods. I do recognize that. But by and large, the city is a crime-ridden place, with more than its share of burned-out, falling-down buildings. Pity, because it is just a short train ride (under 10 minutes) from Philadelphia, which has had much more of a Renaissance in the last 20-30 years. After the housing crash in 2007-2008, I was expecting a developer to buy up huge chunks of Camden and re-develop it, but it never happened. I actually do hope Camden has its own Renaissance, but I'm not holding my breath. It hasn't happened in the almost-40 years I've been living in South Jersey.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM

717 posts, read 618,722 times
were you looking for a decent dog house or bird house?

Old 03-30-2018, 10:39 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My sister and Brother in Law bought a home in Arkansas for under $20,000. Not sure how big the lot is, I was thinking 5 acres. They have spent $40,000 to date fixing it up. For them this home is a hobby of sorts. They own homes in California and Arizona. My brother in law wants to retire to Arkansas and both of them love the home they are fixing up. I guess it can be done.

On a side note, realize that the area they bought has no jobs.
But if they plan to retire there, the lack of jobs shouldn't be an issue. Unless they are thinking of part time or seasonal jobs, perhaps.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 PM

164 posts, read 119,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of people get this impression that very rural is cheap, and that isn't necessarily so.

The town I work in is pretty much full blown Rust Belt. Drugs are everywhere. Crime is high. The house below is about a mile from a large paper mill. It smells awful most of the time. The job market is weak for anything about $15/hr or so. Would you want this house even though it's below $50k?
That's not a bad looking place.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:43 AM..

Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of people get this impression that very rural is cheap, and that isn't necessarily so.

The town I work in is pretty much full blown Rust Belt. Drugs are everywhere. Crime is high. The house below is about a mile from a large paper mill. It smells awful most of the time. The job market is weak for anything about $15/hr or so. Would you want this house even though it's below $50k?
I would if that's what I could afford. It's not horrible. It's a small older house that needs some work. It's not the end of the world. Everything I see is quite fixable and cosmetic. This house could easily be made livable. Estimated monthly mortgage is $275. It's much more affordable than an apartment and it sure as hell beats being homeless and living in your car.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate