U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,457 posts, read 50,717,628 times

Advertisements

A realtor doesn't have to live in an area to be familiar with it. For a seller, I would think it better to use a local agent, because they will do their best to get a good price, since that helps keep their own home value up. For a buyer, that could cost you more if they don't fight as hard to get a lower price since it could affect their home's value. It's always best to use someone recommended by a trusted friend or relative that has used that agent before and been happy with their deal, to me that's far more important than where the agent lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 02:41 PM

9,321 posts, read 7,324,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I have known a lot of gay men, both as friends and as clients in my retail business, and the one thing you can say about all of them is that they are individuals, with individual needs and individual tastes. Unless you find a realtor who mirrors your exact tastes and needs, needing a gay realtor could muddy the water even more than a straight realtor, since you might trust their judgement TOO much.
Who asks for or trust a realtor's judgment?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:34 PM

17,604 posts, read 21,797,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I live in a large city, but have certain areas in mind that I want to buy in. I know of a realtor who I went to high school with who lives in Katy, but thatís not where I want to live. As a gay man, I think that a gay realtor would share my sensibilities. I donít mind interviewing them to ask specific questions. Since Iím interested in buying an older home, some knowledge of architecture/construction would be nice too.
I think it's best that they like that area. They don't necessarily have to live there. I have worked - unsuccessfully - with Realtors who, for one reason or another, have something against a certain area, and to prove they are right, only show junk there. Perhaps to prove they are "right" about the area?

Same with the "New House v. Old House" debate. If you are committed to buying an older home, and new construction or homes built after a certain time, leave you cold, DO NOT work with a Realtor who only likes new construction.

They will show you older homes (reluctantly) that are in major disrepair. Often they are in some way, connected to a builder.

Make life easier and work with someone who loves what you love!

Old 03-29-2018, 06:54 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,630,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The OP, for one. It is the subject of this thread.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:38 PM

24,738 posts, read 59,687,302 times
If you are just looking at a mass produced subdivision house you might get by with any licensed realtor. If you are looking in neighborhoods you need someone who really knows the area. Does the local sewer plant stink up your area in the winter (or summer)? Looking int he winter or early spring, does your realtor know the woods across the street are actually 100 dead ash trees? Do they know that a school, or factory or whatever is about the be built behind the house you are looking at? Are their plans to built a freeway through your prospective house in the next two years? Does your realtor know that in the past 60 years three dads have axe murdered their entire family in your prospective house? (if you care about that sort of thing). Is the lot next to your house the local high school smoking drinking and sex hangout, or worse yet a gang banger house, meth lab? We the property next door a Superfund site 18 years ago? Was your prospective house the site of a popular TV show so that freaky fans show up at your door every three hours?

Yes you need a realtor who actually knows the area where you are looking.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:15 AM

16,497 posts, read 20,042,833 times
Given the acceptance of Gay people everywhere today, and finding Gay people in any number of neighborhoods, and being Gay myself, I don't see the advantage of finding a Gay realtor if you could even find one today.

In every overly-Straight neighborhood I've lived in I always found acceptance.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:13 AM

7,163 posts, read 5,964,203 times
I would get the most experienced one with the most years of experience. Location doesn't matter much.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 AM

8,857 posts, read 17,461,540 times
Quote:
For a realtor? What's a smart choose? All realtors have access to MLS and can produce a list of available homes. Besides offer and paperwork, that's the bulk of what a realtor will do for the average client.

Plus, as a gay person, the OP needs a realtor who understands his unique needs.
Not at all true. There is a wide gap between the value of a true expert versus the average Realtor. This comment shows me you have little knowledge of the industry and therefore shouldn't be offering advice to consumers. Sorry, I know that sounds really mean but your advice can seriously cause financial and emotional damage to people.

The home buying process for a person is the same regardless of race, sex, gender, etc by the way.

Last edited by Brandon Hoffman; 03-30-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but isn't all of that summed up as someone the OP is comfortable with? Gay or not, I doubt the OP would be comfortable with a realtor who doesn't listen to him or offers options. It's an all inclusive package.

Also, we don't know how much input the OP needs from the realtor.
If the person he's most comfortable with is not good at their job, are they really the best choice? I prefer to work with people who are good at what they do.

If you were to invest 500,000 cash with someone would you pick just any financial adviser or would you make sure you had an expert in the matters financial advising?

If you were to have risky surgery, would go to your child's pediatrician for the surgery because you trust them or would you go to the best surgeon you can get with experience in the the type of surgery.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The person who interviewed agents to find an expert trust's (and if they're smart verifies) their agents judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or