Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,427,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I disagree. Make smart choices, which aren't always comfortable choices. Find the best agent and they will understand your needs because they'll listen to you. ie-The agent that knows may be better than the agent you know, but talk to the agent you know to see if they know. You know? Best of luck on your purchase.
For a realtor? What's a smart choose? All realtors have access to MLS and can produce a list of available homes. Besides offer and paperwork, that's the bulk of what a realtor will do for the average client.

Plus, as a gay person, the OP needs a realtor who understands his unique needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:24 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,578,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For a realtor? What's a smart choose? All realtors have access to MLS and can produce a list of available homes. Besides offer and paperwork, that's the bulk of what a realtor will do for the average client.

Yeah I had no idea what that post was trying to say either. Bizarre. Oh well.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:03 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,105,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I would certainly consider some basic grammar/communication skills as an important qualification.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Yeah I had no idea what that post was trying to say either. Bizarre. Oh well.
if one CHOOSES to understand, it's understandable. If one is looking to pick an argument, it certainly can be seen as nonsense.

The best _________ is not necessarily someone you know, nor someone from the same demographic (in this case "gay") as you. The best _________ is usually a good listener and good at diagnosing the situation, laying out the options, and promoting a solution.

If OP's friend in Katy is asked to give him an honest diagnosis of his own (agent's) ability to properly represent OP, then OP will know whether his friend can represent him. Friend (gay or not) may even be able to counsel the OP on whether finding a gay Realtor is needed.

At the same time - the consumer needs to ultimately have comfort in their own head that the Realtor is the best fit. And if being ______ is part of that, isn't that acceptable?

Old 03-27-2018, 08:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,427,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if one CHOOSES to understand, it's understandable. If one is looking to pick an argument, it certainly can be seen as nonsense.

The best _________ is not necessarily someone you know, nor someone from the same demographic (in this case "gay") as you. The best _________ is usually a good listener and good at diagnosing the situation, laying out the options, and promoting a solution.

If OP's friend in Katy is asked to give him an honest diagnosis of his own (agent's) ability to properly represent OP, then OP will know whether his friend can represent him. Friend (gay or not) may even be able to counsel the OP on whether finding a gay Realtor is needed.

At the same time - the consumer needs to ultimately have comfort in their own head that the Realtor is the best fit. And if being ______ is part of that, isn't that acceptable?
Yeah, but isn't all of that summed up as someone the OP is comfortable with? Gay or not, I doubt the OP would be comfortable with a realtor who doesn't listen to him or offers options. It's an all inclusive package.

Also, we don't know how much input the OP needs from the realtor.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM

well, we'll need the OP to weigh back in.

some people are readily able to expand their horizons, and some have an innate need to avoid change. We don't know which the OP is.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I live in a large city, but have certain areas in mind that I want to buy in. I know of a realtor who I went to high school with who lives in Katy, but that’s not where I want to live. As a gay man, I think that a gay realtor would share my sensibilities. I don’t mind interviewing them to ask specific questions. Since I’m interested in buying an older home, some knowledge of architecture/construction would be nice too.
I don't think where the realtor lives should be an issue. You simply make your area preferences known from the start. But, be a bit open minded as often times realtors have some first hand insights into areas that consumers don't.
Good luck finding your dream home And, keep us posted.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:40 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,585,725 times
Most agents tend to focus on a certain town or even an area of a town. They are likely to be more familiar with the properties in your desired locale.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:57 AM

1,078 posts, read 930,471 times
Get a realtor who knows that market well. Even if they live somewhere else and not the specific neighborhood, that doesn’t necessarily discount them.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:31 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,606,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I live in a large city, but have certain areas in mind that I want to buy in. I know of a realtor who I went to high school with who lives in Katy, but that’s not where I want to live. As a gay man, I think that a gay realtor would share my sensibilities. I don’t mind interviewing them to ask specific questions. Since I’m interested in buying an older home, some knowledge of architecture/construction would be nice too.
I have known a lot of gay men, both as friends and as clients in my retail business, and the one thing you can say about all of them is that they are individuals, with individual needs and individual tastes. Unless you find a realtor who mirrors your exact tastes and needs, needing a gay realtor could muddy the water even more than a straight realtor, since you might trust their judgement TOO much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate