U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 12:15 PM

13,743 posts, read 31,570,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Thank you for answering. I have no idea what a pipe boot is. Are we expected to know this stuff?
It depends on your brokerage. At my brokerage, yes, my agents are expected to know what they are because they crack about every 10 years or so out here if they are the rubber ones. Since we are water central out here understanding and being able to explain some basics of how water can penetrate homes out here is important. It is an easy repair, but it must be done to prevent roof leaks out here.

It is also standard practice at my brokerage that if we are getting a roof replacement as part of the deal that we negotiate to upgrade the pipe boots to the lead ones as they last longer so that the buyer doesn't have to worry about the rubber ones splitting after 10 years.

So in my opinion yes. You should know what they are and what purpose they serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:22 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,056,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You've never had a home inspector start by asking if there are any specific concerns that you have about the house?
Yes, but I don't follow them around.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I do because I learn so much. I don't go in attics or under homes though unless they are easily accessible spaces with tall ceilings. We have some big crawl spaces out here with exterior doors. I go in those, but I'm not crawling through the space in the master closet. The inspector can do down there with the critters.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:40 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,056,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I do because I learn so much. I don't go in attics or under homes though unless they are easily accessible spaces with tall ceilings. We have some big crawl spaces out here with exterior doors. I go in those, but I'm not crawling through the space in the master closet. The inspector can do down there with the critters.
And it really helps, if the inspector is going to flag something like a pipe boot, to know what it is, and what it takes to fix it, so you can clearly write the inspection response.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:29 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,725,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, at this point, I 100% agree, too!

Of course, I am quite accustomed to being 100% right.
This clearly is not a Stranger in a Strange Land moment. I am sure Robert Heinlein would agree!
[b]
Shocker.

Rep for the Heinlein reference. Another observation from the man; "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." R. Heinlein

Old 03-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
And it really helps, if the inspector is going to flag something like a pipe boot, to know what it is, and what it takes to fix it, so you can clearly write the inspection response.
Agree. I've met the seller and listing agent at homes before to point out the repair when the contractor was confused. It's a lot easier to do that if you are walking around and watching as the inspector points out the issues.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:45 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,728,623 times
Never EVER hire an inspector suggested by a realtor agent directly involved in your ongoing home purchase!

It's potentially a conflict of interest!

That realtor is interested in just one thing: THE COMMISSION! That requires a closing. Closing requires certain inspected things are right. Not "sorta" right, but as far as you (the buyer), right, as far as I'm concerned!

Home inspectors? Well that's a whole 'nuther story. Later.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-31-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 04:47 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,728,623 times
Quote:
Well...mistake #1.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:35 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,056,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Never EVER hire an inspector suggested by a realtor agent directly involved in your ongoing home purchase!

It's potentially a conflict of interest!

That realtor is interested in just one thing: THE COMMISSION! That requires a closing. Closing requires certain inspected things are right. Not "sorta" right, but as far as you (the buyer), right!

Home inspectors? Well that's a whole 'nuther story. Later.
Oh dear... here we go again. So tired of this.

Welcome to the forum. I think I can safely say that as realtors, most of us strongly disagree with that. I would appreciate if you would read our posts here and at least consider that the truth is we try to do the best job possible for our clients... including recommending the best and most thorough inspector(s).

Honest

Old 03-31-2018, 05:49 PM

31,611 posts, read 55,335,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh dear... here we go again. So tired of this.

Welcome to the forum. I think I can safely say that as realtors, most of us strongly disagree with that. I would appreciate if you would read our posts here and at least consider that the truth is we try to do the best job possible for our clients... including recommending the best and most thorough inspector(s).

Honest
Meh.
When confronted with this, the best thing to do is to give the mope a list of all known bums, so you know that they are disqualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or