U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 06:03 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,726,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh dear... here we go again. So tired of this.

Welcome to the forum. I think I can safely say that as realtors, most of us strongly disagree with that. I would appreciate if you would read our posts here and at least consider that the truth is we try to do the best job possible for our clients... including recommending the best and most thorough inspector(s).

Honest

Why tired? Real Estate today is about the easiest buck you can earn. So...why, "tired." Anemic?

And, of course you disagree.

Best job possible for your clients?

Do you think I was born yesterday?

You put food on your table via commissions. Nothing else. It's the commissions.

CLOSING = COMMISSION

Fact of life.

I'm merely informing a naÔve public just what is involved in purchasing real estate. Big purchase. Your priorities are first and foremost.

You make an honest living when you direct me to the real estate that I specifically am interested in, cut the fluff, quit wasting my time, and as a buyer agent, EARN your part of the commission by working in your "realtor ways" with the seller agent.

But...stay out of my inspection! That's a "me" thing. PERIOD!

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-31-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 06:32 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,050,555 times
If I do agree to work for you.... I do of course promise to do the best job possible for you.

If you really don't want my help with the inspection, I won't bother you or your inspector. No problem! I have to be there, because you need my key to open and close the house (in our area inspectors cannot get Supra keys) but I'll be over here in the corner.... chatting it up on City Data or something.

Get back to me and tell me what you want when it comes time to write the response. I can only assume you wouldn't really be this rude to me in person, or we would NOT have gotten this far in the process.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,531 times
Quote:
If I do agree to work for you.... I do of course promise to do the best job possible for you.

If you really don't want my help with the inspection, I won't bother you or your inspector. No problem! I have to be there, because you need my key to open and close the house (in our area inspectors cannot get Supra keys) but I'll be over here in the corner.... chatting it up on City Data or something.

Get back to me and tell me what you want when it comes time to write the response. I can only assume you wouldn't really be this rude to me in person, or we would NOT have gotten this far in the process.
Why is it rude if a client asks you to not be involved with the inspector?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:36 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,050,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Why is it rude if a client asks you to not be involved with the inspector?
That's not the rude part Boots!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:21 PM

7,694 posts, read 10,065,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Never EVER hire an inspector suggested by a realtor agent directly involved in your ongoing home purchase!

It's potentially a conflict of interest!

That realtor is interested in just one thing: THE COMMISSION! That requires a closing. Closing requires certain inspected things are right. Not "sorta" right, but as far as you (the buyer), right, as far as I'm concerned!

Home inspectors? Well that's a whole 'nuther story. Later.
So, what youíre saying, is you will hire someone to negotiate a deal on a house you will live in for 5, 10, 20+ years, that you donít trust not to violate a very central rule for pretty much every state licensing board and every association ethics rules? Thatís insanity. Why not just avoid them altogether and negotiate your own deal? And avoid the home inspector too.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:32 PM

7,694 posts, read 10,065,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you OK with buyer and agent attending inspections?

Following you around?
How often is that a nuisance, and how often not at all?
Iím fine with them being there. It can help as while I believe I produce a detailed report with good explanations and include lots of photos, some things can be shown and explained more easily in person. Itís easy to forget that most buyers do not have the year sof experience in construction that I have and donít know off the top of their head what Iím talking about and that they need more info. Having a back and forth discussion can help me understand what they know and donít know so I can explain it better.

Now, I wonít lie and say that some clients arenít more of a pain than others, or that it wonít take me a bit longer to do the on site part of the inspection if the client is there, especially if they hover too closely, but most donít and often it helps everyone. Most agents Iíve dealt with know enough about the hot button issues to be a help to their client. Now, when I get a new one that doesnít know what polybutylene is, I know Iím in for a bit of explanation, but thatís part of the job. I have to tailor what Iím saying to make sure I explain things well enough that I get the point across about whatís a problem without making it seem like the house needs to be condemned. But for me, personally, thatís fine as Iíve had to deal with people that know nothing about contruction all my career anyway. Aging an, itís all about looking at it from their point of view, that while I do it every day, they donít.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:20 PM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Iím fine with them being there. It can help as while I believe I produce a detailed report with good explanations and include lots of photos, some things can be shown and explained more easily in person. Itís easy to forget that most buyers do not have the year sof experience in construction that I have and donít know off the top of their head what Iím talking about and that they need more info. Having a back and forth discussion can help me understand what they know and donít know so I can explain it better.

Now, I wonít lie and say that some clients arenít more of a pain than others, or that it wonít take me a bit longer to do the on site part of the inspection if the client is there, especially if they hover too closely, but most donít and often it helps everyone. Most agents Iíve dealt with know enough about the hot button issues to be a help to their client. Now, when I get a new one that doesnít know what polybutylene is, I know Iím in for a bit of explanation, but thatís part of the job. I have to tailor what Iím saying to make sure I explain things well enough that I get the point across about whatís a problem without making it seem like the house needs to be condemned. But for me, personally, thatís fine as Iíve had to deal with people that know nothing about contruction all my career anyway. Aging an, itís all about looking at it from their point of view, that while I do it every day, they donít.
It is amazing to me that in our local market we have agents who don't know what polybutylene is.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:19 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,676,833 times
Quote:
It is amazing to me that in our local market we have agents who don't know what polybutylene is.
We have plenty of them !!

Old 04-01-2018, 05:23 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
We have plenty of them !!
You have to wonder if they ever read the NC Residential Property Disclosure.
Or were ever supervised by a BIC.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:24 AM

1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Quote:
Oh dear... here we go again. So tired of this.

Welcome to the forum. I think I can safely say that as realtors, most of us strongly disagree with that. I would appreciate if you would read our posts here and at least consider that the truth is we try to do the best job possible for our clients... including recommending the best and most thorough inspector(s).

Honest
Quote:
Meh.
When confronted with this, the best thing to do is to give the mope a list of all known bums, so you know that they are disqualified.
Allow me to be the voice of reason and moderation here.

Without even arguing whether Twinbrook's view is right or wrong, it's worth acknowledging that their view IS very commonly held, however one may personally feel about the issue. And even within the small sample of agents here, we've seen a spectrum of views and practices from recommending a single inspector (really?), to a panel of 3-5 (to minimize liability and make the client choose) to not giving any inspector recommendations at all. It's hardly a topic where the industry agrees. Include views of inspectors, state regulators, NAR, consumer watchdogs, and other industry professionals and you have a very wide range of views.

Twinbrook's views are not just shared among those who are anti-agent or conspiracy theorists. E.g, MA clamped down on the rules for inspector recommendations and their consumer information sheet even excludes agents from their list of 'good referral sources' for inspector recommendations. That's just one example but everyone in the industry knows that this issue is a hot one due to real or perceived conflicts of interest and liability issues related to recommendations.

If I were an agent, I would acknowledge this as a legitimate and common view even if I had different views myself. Mainstream industry sources discuss this issue and any consumer can easily see the view that recommendations can present conflict of interest issues. Why not just recognize this? Why are you shutting it down with such visible frustration? If you're too tired to answer a consumer's challenge on this point because you've heard it too often, I think you should step back and put it in perspective.

Diana, you know that I respect your professionalism but I am surprised that you reacted the way that you did. I can understand the frustration of the same argument again and again but this issue is not going away and I believe that consumers are going to get more and more aware of it and raise it more frequently. It's a common topic in many articles on buying homes and things to watch out for with agents. Rightly or wrongly, that's just the reality.

I won't even respond to MJ's use of the term 'mope' to describe a consumer who might hold this view. That's unacceptable and totally unprofessional. I'm not really sure what he's even trying to say in that sentence (give mopes a list of bums so you know they are disqualified - what the heck does that mean???) but it's clearly not the way a professional should be communicating when posting in their professional capacity. It's shameful and embarrassing for the industry. I think most would agree. When consumers see an agent getting that defensive and going into attack mode over something, they need to be concerned. Lots of red flags there. Such behavior does nothing to support your position and, in fact, undermines it.

To avoid misunderstanding, this post is about how agents react to differing views on this topic. I'm not arguing one view over another in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or