U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 725,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I give buyers a list of about 20 inspectors, and name 5 or 6 that I've had do inspections that seemed pretty thorough. Then I tell them to pick one.
Avoids conflict of interest or claims of the inspector doing a lousy inspection in order to close a deal. Or claims that I may be taking the imaginary kickback that people so often accuse realtors of doing.
Yes, I nearly fell off my chair when I read that Mike recommends a single inspector. I didn't think anyone did that anymore. There's been so much heat, even in recommending a few. But if you do wish to recommend inspectors, you need to do it intelligently and avoid creating liability nightmares for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 01:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I recommend a home inspector.
He knows if he screws up regularly (no one is perfect) and my clients are impacted, he won't get the recommendation.

And, I work with any legitimate, licensed vendors my clients may choose over recommendations I make.
I have seen clients pick good inspectors. I have seen them pick real dunces. Both are within their right to choose.

"pass the home?"
Pass/Fail are not the inspector's concern.
They are providing you with a general assessment.

Now, should the basement wall have been cited in the assessment? Probably, yes.
You can't refuse to work with who your client chooses, licensed or not. It is their choice who does their inspection.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:04 PM

506 posts, read 222,834 times
So what's the bottom line? Should a potential buyer choose and pay for his own home inspector? And then make sure it's not included in one of the "closing costs"?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:08 PM

I don't recommend a certain inspector to clients. I recommend that most clients I have should hire one. It is always 100 percent their choice who it is. Most people don't know what they are looking at and it is a good idea to hire a professional. There are exceptions. My husband had over 35 years construction background and we have never hired an inspector. Why would we?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:12 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,440,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
It's bad practice today to recommend a single inspector. Even the generally adopted list of 3-5 recommendations is under a lot of heat in the industry.
You're wrong. I actually only give one inspector. I think he's the best inspector in my market. Why would/should I suggest to my client using someone I don't think is the best? I'm trying to figure out how it benefits the client more giving 3-5 names instead of the one I think is the best. BTW, more than one attorney I know recommend only giving the person we think is best for the job. Enlighten me?

Quote:
Inspectors aren't stupid, they know how agents get paid. Brandon's talking about 'false inspections' but clearly an inspection is an art and a science. There's a lot of gray area and judgment on what issues are identified, how they are described (in the report and verbally), etc.
I've never met a home inspector that I think would knowingly dupe someone into buying a lemon. I've good and bad inspections but I think it speaks more to the inspectors knowledge. I use a very thorough inspector. I want referrals from my buyers. If my inspector allows my buyer to buy a lemon then not only will I not get referrals or repeat business from that client but I might get involved in litigation. Honest, intelligent agents want a happy client and repeat business.

Quote:
It could be good for the client though if there is a problem and the client wishes to take legal recourse against the inspector due to missing a big defect (nobody is perfect as Mike says). If Mike has recommended the inspector, it's HIS inspector and now you have a pretty good case against Mike as well as the inspector and the seller. And even the seller might also have a decent case against Mike if negligence can be shown.
Can you find something to verify this? I disagree with it as you word the post. You made the claim, prove it please.

Quote:
Personally, I would run from an agent pretty quickly if he gave me a single inspector recommendation and started talking about how that inspector will want to do right by the AGENT because they have worked together for a long time and that he won't screw up because he wants to continue to get my recommendations. Yikes. Out of there! Time for a new agent.
First, you intentionally changed the wording in Mike's post to distort the connotation. Aside from that, what do you mean by "do right"? I would expect my inspector to "do right" and give my buyer a good and thorough inspection. Maybe "do right" means something different to you though?

Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I don't recommend a certain inspector to clients. I recommend that most clients I have should hire one. It is always 100 percent their choice who it is. Most people don't know what they are looking at and it is a good idea to hire a professional. There are exceptions. My husband had over 35 years construction background and we have never hired an inspector. Why would we?
Why not? I would argue if you have fiduciary responsibility that you should make recommendations of folks that you know do a good job.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
So what's the bottom line? Should a potential buyer choose and pay for his own home inspector? And then make sure it's not included in one of the "closing costs"?
FWIW, the inspections I've seen from my clients that picked their own inspector have generally been less than stellar. But it's your decision as a buyer on what you want to do.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM

1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Why not? I would argue if you have fiduciary responsibility that you should make recommendations of folks that you know do a good job.
I agree with boots. Wise to let the client decide. Keep it separate. Inspector should not be beholden to the agent and the inspector being beholden to the agent is not a good fundamental principle to guide if/how you give recommendations as MJ describes in his practices. The inspector should be beholden to one person...the client.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What if none of them seem do that great of a job? I have noticed that when a house falls out and another inspection is done different things are called out. If they are doing the same job, shouldn't the inspection reports reflect that? I feel that recommending one among those I know would be more of a liability. I have some doozy stories about inspectors, but maybe that's for another thread. Still for most buyers hiring one is better than not hiring one. I will agree on that.

I also think its important to point out that home inspectors don't inspect everything. Good idea to ask for the furnace inspected and septic done also. Big things that the home inspector won't do and a lot of buyers won't know to ask for.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:46 PM

3,829 posts, read 2,050,555 times
For my referral list, I choose the inspectors I know to be the most thorough, both with their inspections and with the report.

I would never recommend an inspector who I thought might gloss over something serious. If there's a deal killer in that house it's their job to find it not hide it. Many of our clients are first-time buyers without big savings accounts. If there is a foreseeable big expense coming they need to know about it.

If this deal falls apart for the right reasons I will still have a client. There are other houses we can look at :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or