U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2018, 01:55 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Reputation: 2062

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Wait, youíre telling me a sellers agent might have tried to put the best possible spin on something, but it didnít hold up to thoughtful scrutiny?

Like the one that called me randomly a few weeks ago when I stated that a truss had some damage. (I mean, it was probably due to constuction damage and had been there 30 plus years and I mentioned that, but it had a chunk at least half way through the chord or more, really, so I couldnít not at least mention it.) Anyway, the buyer asked for it to be fixed. Sellers agent complained and called me directly and wanted me to come look and approve it not needing to be corrected and wondered why they would ask to be fixed. (Oh and she would definitely use me for future inspections in the future, natch ) I told her, all due respect that had she been the buyerís agent, she wouldnít be doing her job if she didnít do the same and it would be just as cheap to have her husband GC that had built everything in Raleigh just fix it than even talking on the phone any further.

Anyway, tangent acquired and locked.



And MikePRU also gets it. Long term > short term.
Nice to see that the Sheriff did the right thing but yet another disappointing example of an agent overstepping bounds of power. Just every day business as usual...no bribes, no grandiose conspiracies or complicated fraudulent schemes. Just abuse of the power dynamic that's enabled by the system of referrals that's in place. Good reminder of the abuses that the system can enable. Of course we can all just TRUST that our agent would never play these games because he or she is so nice. And of course this will be the case with some.

There are a lot of agents here trying to separate themselves from the 'bad ones' who abuse things but isn't it also required, if not better, to address the system and the culture that is enabling this in the first place (i.e. the way referrals work)? It's well known that where there is potential for abuse and misbehavior, you can't just address it at the individual level and hope everyone 'stays good' or try to select staff who they think will 'be good'. Institutions like prisons, police forces, mental hospitals, etc work hard to dismantle cultures and systems that enable abuse. Addressing only one by one is like drinking from the fire hose.

And good reminder that the seller's agent is also a buyer's agent. I can imagine that the whole way this works can make it difficult to be an inspector at times. i feel sorry for those who are truly good at what they do and wish to do it ethically....but aren't so good at or don't wish to play all the political games. I have a feeling that the profession loses a lot of good people who are victims of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL

And, Yes, MikePRU and MikeJ get that long term vs. short term thing.
Explaining it to people with no values is like describing a sunset to a blind person.
I read MikePRU's posts. I knew MikePRU. I understood MikePRU's views. Sir, you're no MikePRU.

mic drop(pun intended)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Well I'm not an agent so it's not really my job to tell you how to do your job.
you've been telling us how we're doing our job wrong for a long time now. drop the subterfuge, eh?




the ethical requirements of a Realtor are the same regardless of their market.

Legal requirements generally ALLOW you to turn the entire thing over to the client. As such, if your ethics allow you to follow the contract, and allow the client to source and schedule whichever inspections they choose, then you're perfectly minding your personal ethical and legal state requirements.




you've told us time and again what you consider reasonable over a WIDE variety of specific and hypothetical markets, the vast majority of which you've never been client or agent in.



so, of 3 listed items, 2 of them deal with you covering your own ass. Not unexpected. And you're right - look in this topic - each of us is allowed to take our personal liability, based upon the legal requirements of each of our states, as the most sacred item. Each of us can hide behind "legal" and "ethical" by going to the language of the contract.

I haven't seen an agent on here say they don't at some level say "the inspector/lender/tile/etc/etc/etc are your choice But you should use MY inspector/lender/title/etc or else I won't work for you". Yet that is what you insinuate.




there should be no probably, likely, want to, or maybe about what you'd tell your client. You've had no issue telling us, definitively. You've taken more than enough time and bytes to decide how YOU would act.

what would you say when your client says "Just_because, we've only got
10 days to do all of this. I work, this is your area of expertise and why I have hired YOU. What should we do?"




You think we tell them ..."You don't need to be there at all - nothing to see here."

What about when they say "I don't have time to attend the whole/any of the inspection, Can't you just tell me what happens?"

You actually don't think that happens?

has nothing to do with your wordiness, just your desire to repeat the same hackneyed crap you specialize in, without telling anyone what you would ACTUALLY do.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
or, in the fewest words possible:

* 2/3 of my strategy would be limiting my liability
*1/3 of my strategy would be asking the client what they want.
Since when does saying you would do something mean that you're saying nobody else does it? Really, the command of even the most basic English and basic logic here is dreadful. How do you communicate with clients? I would expect these basic skills in a professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 06:10 AM
 
1,512 posts, read 564,668 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I read MikePRU's posts. I knew MikePRU. I understood MikePRU's views. Sir, you're no MikePRU.

mic drop(pun intended)
When you drop a mic, you shut up and walk away. Yet another thing you have no clue how to do.

And your last gibberish? Good grief, it looks like you need a break. However, throwing up a wall of garbage that makes no sense, and ending it by insulting someone else’s communication is just perfect. Perhaps you should realize that you’re the only one who continues to say that they can’t understand a post - the problem ain’t them, it’s you.

Last edited by RoamingTX; 04-04-2018 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Morrisville, NC
7,693 posts, read 10,065,987 times
Reputation: 6909
I’ve done plenty of inspections, where I’ve never met the buyer. We talked on the phone, they gave a check to their agent or paid with a credit card before the inspection and they didn’t come to the inspection. A couple where even their agent didn’t come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Reputation: 6882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
When you drop a mic, you shut up and walk away. Yet another thing you have no clue how to do.

And your last gibberish? Good grief, it looks like you need a break. However, throwing up a wall of garbage that makes no sense, and ending it by insulting someone elseís communication is just perfect. Perhaps you should realize that youíre the only one who continues to say that they canít understand a post - the problem ainít them, itís you.
yeah, I see this morning that I missed a \quote and so the first one was messy; mea culpa. but all jb did was copy paste my entire post and then make some odd charge at the end about my lack of communication.

fwiw, when it needs to be in writing for posterity, then I write an email. when the tone is important, or when otherwise appropriate, I use the old phone call or face-to-face method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 AM
 
3,174 posts, read 2,721,937 times
Reputation: 6477
I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't trust any inspector because they will overlook anything that could be construed as deal-killing because of their desire for future referrals from the agents involved. I suppose this would apply equally to a recommended inspector or a random guy found in a Google search.

tl;dr No inspector can be trusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
 
1,528 posts, read 725,070 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yeah, I see this morning that I missed a \quote and so the first one was messy; mea culpa. but all jb did was copy paste my entire post and then make some odd charge at the end about my lack of communication.

fwiw, when it needs to be in writing for posterity, then I write an email. when the tone is important, or when otherwise appropriate, I use the old phone call or face-to-face method.

NO, those are not my words.
Only the very last two sentences are. I just noticed that. Everything else should be quoted from Bo. I did not copy and paste anything. I just hit reply like everyone does and it came out like that.

Well your buddy Roaming said it was gibberish. Will he take that back now that he knows that they are your words and not mine? I don't want to see you two in an argument.

But seriously thanks for clarifying what happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Reputation: 30150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't trust any inspector because they will overlook anything that could be construed as deal-killing because of their desire for future referrals from the agents involved. I suppose this would apply equally to a recommended inspector or a random guy found in a Google search.

tl;dr No inspector can be trusted.
"Trust" makes the world go 'round.

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough."
Frank Crane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
8,844 posts, read 17,440,566 times
Reputation: 6194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't trust any inspector because they will overlook anything that could be construed as deal-killing because of their desire for future referrals from the agents involved. I suppose this would apply equally to a recommended inspector or a random guy found in a Google search.

tl;dr No inspector can be trusted.
You got that from the 4 or 5 posters that commented not to trust agent inspections, at least 3 of which are regular trolls here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top