Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 09:30 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Biggest regret of our first home purchase was using the realtor's recommended inspector. He didn't even go on the roof to see the 3/4" gap around the plumbing vent that was letting water into the house.
How did he miss the resulting damage in the attic and ceiling?
Did you question why he didn’t go up there?

- most important -

Did you refer anyone else to that agent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 PM

114 posts, read 93,245 times
IMO your real estate agent's referrals are probably as good as your agent. If your agent is the type to tell you whatever you need to hear to get you to buy a home then he or she probably refers in other people who will help that cause. If your agent is patient about getting you in a home that is right for you so you'll refer other good clients to them then they are more likely to refer in quality help. If you feel that your agent is surrounded by dubious people then your agent is likely cut from the same cloth.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
ummmm, no.

I don't know RoamingTx from Adam's house cat...if you know what that means. If you don't - we've never met, we've never talked, we've never emailed or texted, and we haven't ever PM'd each other.

you quoted me as claiming ...

clearly, I AM an agent, a Realtor. Clearly, YOU are not. So, as precise as you tend to be, why would you present it this way?

Just let it be known, if just_because was a real estate agent, his clients could expect him to:

2/3 of the time, concentrate on his legal and then ethical obligations.
1/3 of the time, ask his clients what is important to them.

He's said as much
Oh dear. Houston, we have a big problem.

Let's review. I said I would look after 3 things: client needs, the law/ethics, and my legal risk/liability.

Bo understands this as spending only 1/3 of the time on clients. Then he gets giddy because now he's got the smoking gun and posts at least 3 references that I would only spend 1/3 of my time on clients. Brilliant.

Someone says: I love my family, my country, and fishing.
Bo presumably understands: "He loves his family only 1/3 of the time. Bad man. Very bad man."

Someone introduces themselves and says "I like to golf, read, and jog"
Bo thinks: (after dividing 24 hours by 3 on his calculator) wow...that's 8 hours a day golfing!

Someone says that their principles for life are: abiding by the law, working hard and living a healthy lifestyle.
Bo presumably thinks that they only abide by the law 1/3 of the time.

Is this the kind of thinking that you want when you are making the biggest financial transaction of your life?

Seriously, why on earth would you say something so bizarre and just plain illogical? Potential clients read this stuff. Who wants an agent who thinks like that? If client says "I want a house that's quiet, not on a busy street and that's cheap to heat.

With his strange logic, Bo presumably understands: "as long as the street is busy less than 8 hours a day, it's quiet 8 hours a day and cheap to heat for 8 hours a day, the client will love it"

Who thinks like this? You've embarrassed yourself by making this your big smoking gun to run after me with. Why would you come here to make yourself look so silly in front of your peers and potential clients? I get that you want to show everyone how smart you are and that you can win arguments with consumers on the internet but think of what people think when they read this nonsense. You're representing your profession and your own business.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
IMO your real estate agent's referrals are probably as good as your agent. If your agent is the type to tell you whatever you need to hear to get you to buy a home then he or she probably refers in other people who will help that cause. If your agent is patient about getting you in a home that is right for you so you'll refer other good clients to them then they are more likely to refer in quality help. If you feel that your agent is surrounded by dubious people then your agent is likely cut from the same cloth.
Exactly right.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:36 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

Let's review. I said I would look after 3 things: client needs, the law/ethics, and my legal risk/liability.

Bo understands this as spending only 1/3 of the time on clients. Then he gets giddy because now he's got the smoking gun and posts at least 3 references that I would only spend 1/3 of my time on clients. Brilliant.

Someone says: I love my family, my country, and fishing.
Bo presumably understands: "He loves his family only 1/3 of the time. Bad man. Very bad man."

Someone introduces themselves and says "I like to golf, read, and jog"
Bo thinks: (after dividing 24 hours by 3 on his calculator) wow...that's 8 hours a day golfing!

Someone says that their principles for life are: abiding by the law, working hard and living a healthy lifestyle.
Bo presumably thinks that they only abide by the law 1/3 of the time.

Is this the kind of thinking that you want when you are making the biggest financial transaction of your life?

Seriously, why on earth would you say something so bizarre and just plain illogical? Potential clients read this stuff. Who wants an agent who thinks like that? If client says "I want a house that's quiet, not on a busy street and that's cheap to heat.

With his strange logic, Bo presumably understands: "as long as the street is busy less than 8 hours a day, it's quiet 8 hours a day and cheap to heat for 8 hours a day, the client will love it"

Who thinks like this? You've embarrassed yourself by making this your big smoking gun to run after me with. Why would you come here to make yourself look so silly in front of your peers and potential clients? I get that you want to show everyone how smart you are and that you can win arguments with consumers on the internet but think of what people think when they read this nonsense. You're representing your profession and your own business.
Maybe for the same reasons that you choose to come on here and blather endlessly about topics that you are completely clueless about, hijack threads to see your own words written while convincing yourself that you’re some paragon of communication. Me? I think you need to bump your meds. Gonna have to go to the block party.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Biggest regret of our first home purchase was using the realtor's recommended inspector. He didn't even go on the roof to see the 3/4" gap around the plumbing vent that was letting water into the house.
If I can, I want to go on the roof, as it’s the best way to do a good job for my client, but t here are plenty of roofs I don’t go on. Some just aren’t safe, due to the slope and height off the ground, or even the one I did go on a couple of weeks ago and almost couldn’t safely get down because the shingles were so close to EOL and losing granules that I was damaging them by trying to not slide off.

However, you can see a lot from just being up at the eaves or using binoculars and, you can tell if a Roof has been leaking from the attic. Especially a 3/4” gap in the boots.

I also recently bought a drone for those roofs I can’t get up on. Really helps, especially with chimneys.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:47 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacles View Post
very true.

it's why finding and choosing the right agent is so important. It even holds true for when they recommend a lender. And no lenders are beholden to agents, nor can they any longer provide any financial value to agents as a means of thanking us.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post

see, here's your issue. And you're certainly smart enough not to try and rearrange the order now of what you said. You took a lot of time (not literal) and care to answer. I've simply been trying to get you to speak of what YOU WOULD DO if you were an agent, rather than spending all your time telling us how we individually and the profession at large are so wrong.

Don't tell us we're wrong, tell us how you would do it.

and you want to take a simple turn of a phrase "spending your time" to claim I believe it's literal time on the clock? Of all your moronic posts, this one stands above.

You said you would do 3 things:

Quote:
1. I would mind my ethical and legal requirements for the market that I work in
2. I would seek to understand what my clients want in my market. Sitting here today, I have no idea what consumers want or expect for recommendations in my hypothetical market.
3. I would prudently balance my own legal/liability risks in this process.
I didn't put them in this order, you did. And I never changed your order.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:01 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
If I can, I want to go on the roof, as it’s the best way to do a good job for my client, but t here are plenty of roofs I don’t go on. Some just aren’t safe, due to the slope and height off the ground, or even the one I did go on a couple of weeks ago and almost couldn’t safely get down because the shingles were so close to EOL and losing granules that I was damaging them by trying to not slide off.

However, you can see a lot from just being up at the eaves or using binoculars and, you can tell if a Roof has been leaking from the attic. Especially a 3/4” gap in the boots.

I also recently bought a drone for those roofs I can’t get up on. Really helps, especially with chimneys.
Dude,
You need one of these in the truck, steep roof or not:

https://www.bigrocksupply.com/AJC-Shingle-Pad.aspx
You used to be able to get them at ABC.
I have a couple, and they are priceless.
But, stay off the 12/12's unless you put in a toeboard, too.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:09 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
see, here's your issue. And you're certainly smart enough not to try and rearrange the order now of what you said. You took a lot of time (not literal) and care to answer. I've simply been trying to get you to speak of what YOU WOULD DO if you were an agent, rather than spending all your time telling us how we individually and the profession at large are so wrong.

Don't tell us we're wrong, tell us how you would do it.

and you want to take a simple turn of a phrase "spending your time" to claim I believe it's literal time on the clock? Of all your moronic posts, this one stands above.

You said you would do 3 things:

I didn't put them in this order, you did. And I never changed your order.

You tried to make your "smoking gun" against me that I listed 3 things and that meant that I would spend 1/3 of the time on each one. So for those of you following at home, this would mean that I wouldn't care about my clients because I would only spend 1/3 of my time on them. That failed miserably and you mentioned it in at least 3 posts across threads like it was some kind of huge revelation. How embarrassing to brandish such nonsense like a gotcha.

Now you're accusing me of something (I'm not sure what) because of the order of a list? I've been accused of being obsessive and "detail oriented" but please. Can you imagine if I started criticizing the orders of peoples' lists and drawing all kinds of crazy conclusions from it?

But since the order of my list is so important to you, I'll revert back to my original order, if you'll allow me. Legality and ethics are the most basic and foundational so I'll put them first. And they also form part of the foundation for how you treat clients (so do I have your permission to take part of that 1/3 of the time and put it toward clients). Do you want to argue about that order or do you like my other order better? Next time i'll put things in alphabetical order and make my posts even longer by explaining exactly why I did or did not order things in a particular way. Unbelievable. You're calling my posts moronic after this horribly embarrassing sh-show from someone who's supposed to be a licensed professional entrusted with financial transactions worth $100s of thousands? Are you proud of this?

I did answer your question about what I would do. I don't expect you to agree with everything but all you've done is respond with one of the most moronic things I've ever read. Not even about anything meaningful but about one-thirds of periods of time and the orders of lists. I apologize to the members of this board for having to witness such insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate