Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

...*at least in my area!*
Kudos for the geographic reference!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,582,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think this is the crux of the issue. Good agents believe that their financial interests DO align with the clients, because they want *gasp* referrals, and the best way to get them is to have happy cllents.

I’ve had a tough time finding good agents myself, but there’s not some giant conspiracy between all real estate agents to screw over as many consumers as possible. It’s just that there are a lot of people out there that suck at their jobs. In all fields. Is that % higher among real estate agents? Probably. But as mentioned, a lot of those agents probably don’t last long-term.

Ah yes, the old "we want happy clients and referral business" chestnut.

This is rolled out like it's a final word and some kind of proof that the client will be looked after.

I hate to break it to everyone who repeatedly rolls this out but just about every single business in the world wants happy customers, repeat business and referrals.

There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard. The pool guy wants happy customers, repeat business and referrals, the car mechanic does, the car dealer does, the restaurant does. Everyone does. This guarantees the customer nothing. It's not a predictor of how the customer will be looked after. Good businesses and bad businesses all want happy customers, repeat customers and referrals.

If you get into a dispute with a car repair shop because they've overcharged you. They might say, "of course we didn't overcharge you. We want you to be happy and refer your friends" Do you think that this is some kind of revelation and they've just proved their point? No. You probably wouldn't.

Can anyone properly explain what saying you want happy customers, repeat customers and referrals says anything at all about anything? It's said so often, I'm sure there is a good explanation. If this meant anything, there would hardly be any bad businesses in the world.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You’re right on the cost of the roof. Hopefully we will be gone before that becomes an issue.

As far as gutter protection goes, I use this thing. Works pretty well and I can use a pole to put it on higher gutters. It transfers the weight to the back of the gutter, onto the fascia. Especially great for these older single story ranches that have the old school nails with the ferrule since they can come right through the front of the gutter if you aren’t careful.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Roofers-22053...ers/2077571906
I have a couple of gutter inserts that are meant to be left in the gutter, for leaning a ladder up and not crushing the gutter.

Yours are cooler.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times
JB.... I agree. There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard.

Say that again: There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard.

There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard. You want to make us different than every other service industry professional. Why? We have systems in place for aggrieved clients to find recourse. If the court of public opinion isn't enough, we have actual courts. If that's not the right venue, we have Association and Licensing review boards.
Why do you think we need more? More than we have... and more than other service industries have?

You tell us why you have singled us out for your attention and demanded we be treated differently.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
JB.... I agree. There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard.

Say that again: There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard.

There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard. You want to make us different than every other service industry professional. Why? We have systems in place for aggrieved clients to find recourse. If the court of public opinion isn't enough, we have actual courts. If that's not the right venue, we have Association and Licensing review boards.
Why do you think we need more? More than we have... and more than other service industries have?

You tell us why you have singled us out for your attention and demanded we be treated differently.
While you're at it JB, I also asked a question you didn't answer. Why would you even offer a list of inspectors if you don't think buyers should use inspectors recommended by an agent? Let me guess, you're "different" than all the other agents and you're more trustworthy?

Old 04-06-2018, 05:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,292,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Ah yes, the old "we want happy clients and referral business" chestnut.

This is rolled out like it's a final word and some kind of proof that the client will be looked after.

I hate to break it to everyone who repeatedly rolls this out but just about every single business in the world wants happy customers, repeat business and referrals.

There is absolutely nothing inherently different about agents in this regard. The pool guy wants happy customers, repeat business and referrals, the car mechanic does, the car dealer does, the restaurant does. Everyone does. This guarantees the customer nothing. It's not a predictor of how the customer will be looked after. Good businesses and bad businesses all want happy customers, repeat customers and referrals.

If you get into a dispute with a car repair shop because they've overcharged you. They might say, "of course we didn't overcharge you. We want you to be happy and refer your friends" Do you think that this is some kind of revelation and they've just proved their point? No. You probably wouldn't.

Can anyone properly explain what saying you want happy customers, repeat customers and referrals says anything at all about anything? It's said so often, I'm sure there is a good explanation. If this meant anything, there would hardly be any bad businesses in the world.
I agree with Diana, but also one difference is that not all employees work 100% on commission like real estate agents. As long as the shop doesn’t close due to lack of business, that car mechanic is probably getting the same paycheck whether his customers are referring other customers or not.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 3,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Home inspectors don’t kill deals, the house does. All we do is uncover and deliver information. A good agent can use that information in their negotiations or be happy along with the buyer that they dodged a bullet. I choose to work with good agents. Some of them even hire me to inspect their personal houses and ones their family members buy. Why would I “go easy” on a house? That is doing a disservice to my client and could get me hauled before my licensing board. Not saying some don’t do it and that some agents don’t gravitate to soft inspectors, but agents and inspectors are people. Some people suck.

And I’ve had people hire me separately and say I dont trust the guys my agent recommended. If that’s the case, why are you trusting your agent to negotiate a six figure deal that you will live in every day?
Amen brother! Appraiser of 20 years. In my case, the COMPS kill th edeals, because they are hard facts regarding value near the subject home. People do not like to be told the contract price is too high, or too low. Trust me, agents don't like it either. Like you, I uncover and deliver information.

Like any profession, 20% do the best 80% of the work. The rest, not so much.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
JB, you spend all this time talking about how Real Estate Agents and now inspectors are hopelessly corrupt because they *gasp* get paid for completing their work....

Do you have the same basic distrust of hourly workers because they will undoubtedly work as slowly as they can, to get paid more... or salaried workers, who have no incentive at all to do a good job or get anything done?

The same economics and basic truths that are true anywhere else in human civilization are true in real estate. It's not disconnected from the "normal rules of economics", it's grounded in them. For long term survival in a free market economy, most people have to do good work and provide a good value or they go out of business. Period.... End of story.
it won't let me rep you, so I'll just say "good try".

Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I agree with Diana, but also one difference is that not all employees work 100% on commission like real estate agents. As long as the shop doesn’t close due to lack of business, that car mechanic is probably getting the same paycheck whether his customers are referring other customers or not.
Actually, many mechanics work on piece rate or by percentage of the standard book price of repairs. The more they bill, the more they make.
Very similar to commission, they can increase their pay with higher production, or increased sales.

So, referrals can help them stay busy and make more.
Just as with real estate agents, a good reputation and referrals are the key to generating business, and prospering.

The shop/mechanic, or real estate agent, who gets a reputation for not taking care of their clientele may well starve after a while.
As it should be.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
I think this is the crux of the issue. Good agents believe that their financial interests DO align with the clients, because they want *gasp* referrals, and the best way to get them is to have happy cllents.

I’ve had a tough time finding good agents myself, but there’s not some giant conspiracy between all real estate agents to screw over as many consumers as possible. It’s just that there are a lot of people out there that suck at their jobs. In all fields. Is that % higher among real estate agents? Probably. But as mentioned, a lot of those agents probably don’t last long-term.
also, one of the best posts I've ever seen.

a good agent - doesn't matter whether it's real estate, talent, PR, lawyer, etc - ALWAYS puts their clients' interests first. As long as the client isn't asking you to do something illegal, agents can go forward. At least 1 agency profession - Realtors - has an additional layer called "ethical". I feel certain that others do as well, I just don't have experience being one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate