U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 725,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But, one of the immediate disqualifiers is an inspector who refuses to cite an item that I point out, because he didn't see it first. I know them, don't refer them, and hope that my clients never select them.
As a consumer, this raises red flags for me. Sounds like you've had some run-ins with inspectors and refuse to refer those who don't want you directing their work. They are responsible for their work, not you. I would prefer an inspector who is not directed by the agent. One who operates with a level of independence from the agent. Major red flags on this behavior and I would run in the opposite direction of any agent with this attitude. You do not want an inspector who is beholden to your agent. Mike is approaching this with the wrong attitude. This would concern me as a consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:07 PM

5,678 posts, read 7,263,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
My story is 100% true. The plastic was opaque and the thickness of a sheet of Formica and affixed to the wall and you couldn't look behind it. I was very apprehensive but the Realtor kept insisting it was not a problem. After that I only looked for basements in areas I knew would not have issues. The house I finally settled on was built on flint rock and was 60 years old without a single crack in the mortar or basement walls.
OK, the realtor said it wasn’t a problem. Did the inspector say anything about it? If it was affixed to the wall, I believe in some areas at least inspectors aren’t really allowed to look behind things. You also said the realtor was the one that said the additional inspection would cost thousands of dollars. Did the inspector say anything about that? I wouldn’t necessarily even expect him to, but as you found out it’s not very difficult to make a phone call or 2 to actually confirm how much it would cost.

I found it interesting that you said you “purchased” the house, considering you didn’t. You almost purchased a house.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:11 PM

5,678 posts, read 7,263,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
As a consumer, this raises red flags for me. Sounds like you've had some run-ins with inspectors and refuse to refer those who don't want you directing their work. They are responsible for their work, not you. I would prefer an inspector who is not directed by the agent. One who operates with a level of independence from the agent. Major red flags on this behavior and I would run in the opposite direction of any agent with this attitude. You do not want an inspector who is beholden to your agent. Mike is approaching this with the wrong attitude. This would concern me as a consumer.
This is a bit of a stretch. If the inspector in Mike’s example thinks what Mike points out is not important, I don’t see why he/she just wouldn’t say so. But if it is important, it should be in the report regardless of who saw it first.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 2,053,214 times
Jeepers JB... if only there was some kind of award (creative writing or otherwise!) given for the ability to turn ANY agent remark into a negative.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This is a bit of a stretch. If the inspector in Mike’s example thinks what Mike points out is not important, I don’t see why he/she just wouldn’t say so. But if it is important, it should be in the report regardless of who saw it first.
Of course I agree that if it's important it should be in the report regardless of who saw it first.

I said that the attitude portrayed sent up red flags. Who knows who's right and who's wrong. Maybe the inspector was the one who was arrogant. Somehow my instinct tells me it was the agent who was the arrogant one. Who knows but it doesn't sound good. Like if you're interviewing someone and you ask why they left their last job and they say that they didn't get along with their boss because "he thought he knew everything". OK??? Not sure what went on with that but there are some red flags here. And with the inspector, let's not forget, he's the inspector and presumably qualified in what he does. Mike is not. Just saying that this explanation left a very poor perception with me. Lots of red flags. I would steer clear of that agent.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:27 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,056,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, let's quantify.
How much difference is acceptable between CMAs?
Or, appraisals?
Or, home inspections?
Lets don't. My point was they can't all be right.

How many of you choose a title company because they buy you a free lunch now and then? A lot of agents do this. I think most would do anything for free food. I've had title companies offer and I would rather poke out both eyes with a sharp stick then have lunch with any of them.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,056,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I wasn't going to say anything. I have no idea if Mike was right or wrong about what he saw, but I wouldn't want to be doing any part of someones inspection for them or directing it in any way. What if it was important? Now it isn't on the report because of what Mike did. Stay out of the inspectors way and let them do their job.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,993,763 times
everyone
stop
responding
to
it

Old 03-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Lets don't. My point was they can't all be right.

How many of you choose a title company because they buy you a free lunch now and then? A lot of agents do this. I think most would do anything for free food. I've had title companies offer and I would rather poke out both eyes with a sharp stick then have lunch with any of them.
Good point. There was a thread here a while ago where many agents suggested that if a vendor wanted to do business with agents, they bring doughnuts (referred to as 'donuts') to staff meetings. i wondered about this and it kind of turned my stomach. It's hard to explain but this thread made me feel like I was a voyeur into an unseemly and unsavory world.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:41 PM

31,599 posts, read 55,320,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I wasn't going to say anything. I have no idea if Mike was right or wrong about what he saw, but I wouldn't want to be doing any part of someones inspection for them or directing it in any way. What if it was important? Now it isn't on the report because of what Mike did. Stay out of the inspectors way and let them do their job.
I work with my clients throughout the process, from home search to closing.
One parameter of competence is the ability to observe while not being in the way, whether during construction or during inspection.

I might could agree that if an agent is so incompetent that they cannot attend and observe a home inspection without being in the way, they might not be qualified to be licensed for brokerage.
But, I have a hunch you aren't thinking along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or