U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Reputation: 10552

Advertisements

Doughnuts is pretentious. I prefer donuts.

If it turns your stomach, it's probably the sugar. Maybe try the muffins.

Sorry kww
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Lets don't. My point was they can't all be right.

How many of you choose a title company because they buy you a free lunch now and then? A lot of agents do this. I think most would do anything for free food. I've had title companies offer and I would rather poke out both eyes with a sharp stick then have lunch with any of them.
OK. Let's aspire to be incompetent because the inspector might possibly be incompetent...

Meh. I decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
everyone
stop
responding
to
it
The reality is that people don't like to be told who or what they should or should not be responding to. Mike tried his campaign and it was fruitless and backfired against him. Yours is too. The people have spoken and they will respond or not as they wish. Not as they are told. No more apologies for responding. No more "I don't normally respond but...". No more living in fear of breaking someone's boycott. The people will speak as they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM
 
1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Sorry kww
Be your own person. Nobody should ever feel like they need to apologize for posting anything. kww and Mike don't run this board. Nobody tells us who or what to respond to. Nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:51 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,555 posts, read 1,992,571 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Doughnuts is pretentious. I prefer donuts.

If it turns your stomach, it's probably the sugar. Maybe try the muffins.

Sorry kww
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Diana Holbrook again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 PM
 
Location: northern va
1,555 posts, read 1,992,571 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
OK. Let's aspire to be incompetent because the inspector might possibly be incompetent...

Meh. I decline.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MikeJaquish again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
How objective is a home inspector that relies on Realtors for referrals? I would assume most of an inspectors business comes from Agent referrals. As an Agent who has spent considerable time making a sale how would you feel if the inspector is too picky and your sale doesn't occur because of it? Since the inspector may only be liable for the return of their fee, isn't it batter to walk a fine line between ignoring potential sale killing problems and keeping your referrals coming vs finding every single issue?
I think the referral for the inspector is only as good as the agent you hire. Any agent that does any decent amount of business over the years and see a bunch of reports as well as been through a bunch of inspections. You can see who is thorough and who minimizes issues.

I recommend two home inspectors and that's it. There are others that are good, but the two I recommend are excellent. One has a far superior report and people skills so he is my favorite and first recommendation. He also is fine with consumers following him around as he is very educationally oriented. The other one is also very thorough, but he doesn't like it when consumers follow him around as it distracts him and he worries about missing things. So one is better for first timers since he is better about educating as you go around the house.

So, what I can tell you with my favorite guy, who is the local deal killer, is that agents that don't like him are old school agents. They don't want to have to explain his reports and go through repairs with clients. They want an easier transaction so they go with inspectors that don't document as much. Inspectors don't pass or fail homes. Inspectors document the condition of the home on the day they inspect it. Buyer agents then work with buyers to explain what is typical, not typical, concerning, etc for that era of home in their market. Then it up to the buyers to decide if the home still has value to them at the offer price, if the home only has value if certain repairs are done, or if the home has no value anymore.

Thorough home inspectors lessen the liability for real estate agents. Good agents know this which is why they like good inspectors. The chances of me being sued, as an agent, go down if I recommend a really good inspector. So if you were a business person which would you go for? I'm of the opinion that if the house is missing a door stop that the inspector should write that down. If the buyer terminates because a house is missing a doorstop, then I'm a crappy buyer agent that doesn't know how to help people understand the realities of home ownership. Inspectors inspect, agents negotiate. Agents that don't want to negotiate recommend mediocre inspectors.

I'm perfectly fine with the liability of only have two inspectors on my list. They are both exceptional. I always tell my clients I can give them the names of two exceptional inspectors and three more good inspectors if they want to downgrade their home inspection experience. So far everyone wants to go with exceptional and no one has ever been disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Salem, OR
13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Reputation: 12105
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Lets don't. My point was they can't all be right.

How many of you choose a title company because they buy you a free lunch now and then? A lot of agents do this. I think most would do anything for free food. I've had title companies offer and I would rather poke out both eyes with a sharp stick then have lunch with any of them.
I'm in it for the cheap pens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Reputation: 10552
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Silverfall again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Reputation: 30145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Says the guy with no experience with home inspectors?



Clearly this episode reflects much more on the agent you chose.
No ethical agent wants less than a competent inspection, and would not repeatedly recommend an inspector who failed to report these fundamental items.
What did the agent say when you brought it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Why not? I would argue if you have fiduciary responsibility that you should make recommendations of folks that you know do a good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think the referral for the inspector is only as good as the agent you hire. Any agent that does any decent amount of business over the years and see a bunch of reports as well as been through a bunch of inspections. You can see who is thorough and who minimizes issues.

I recommend two home inspectors and that's it. There are others that are good, but the two I recommend are excellent. One has a far superior report and people skills so he is my favorite and first recommendation. He also is fine with consumers following him around as he is very educationally oriented. The other one is also very thorough, but he doesn't like it when consumers follow him around as it distracts him and he worries about missing things. So one is better for first timers since he is better about educating as you go around the house.

So, what I can tell you with my favorite guy, who is the local deal killer, is that agents that don't like him are old school agents. They don't want to have to explain his reports and go through repairs with clients. They want an easier transaction so they go with inspectors that don't document as much. Inspectors don't pass or fail homes. Inspectors document the condition of the home on the day they inspect it. Buyer agents then work with buyers to explain what is typical, not typical, concerning, etc for that era of home in their market. Then it up to the buyers to decide if the home still has value to them at the offer price, if the home only has value if certain repairs are done, or if the home has no value anymore.

Thorough home inspectors lessen the liability for real estate agents. Good agents know this which is why they like good inspectors. The chances of me being sued, as an agent, go down if I recommend a really good inspector. So if you were a business person which would you go for? I'm of the opinion that if the house is missing a door stop that the inspector should write that down. If the buyer terminates because a house is missing a doorstop, then I'm a crappy buyer agent that doesn't know how to help people understand the realities of home ownership. Inspectors inspect, agents negotiate. Agents that don't want to negotiate recommend mediocre inspectors.

I'm perfectly fine with the liability of only have two inspectors on my list. They are both exceptional. I always tell my clients I can give them the names of two exceptional inspectors and three more good inspectors if they want to downgrade their home inspection experience. So far everyone wants to go with exceptional and no one has ever been disappointed.

The bold points are definitive.

Some agents get it. Some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top