U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:11 PM

1,528 posts, read 724,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The bold points are definitive.

Some agents get it. Some don't.
We want agents to be agents and inspectors to be inspectors. We don't want your attitude of refusing to recommend inspectors who refuse to be directed by you. We want inspectors who wish to operate with independence from the agent. Those who have courage and aren't simply submissive to your needs because they want your recommendations.

It doesn't matter which agents you think get it and which agents you think don't. It's the consumer who matters and we don't want inspectors who are beholden to agents or those who submit to be directed by them. We get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 PM

1,509 posts, read 563,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
It's bad practice today to recommend a single inspector. Even the generally adopted list of 3-5 recommendations is under a lot of heat in the industry.

Mike's argument is summarized that the recommended inspector is beholden to Mike and (presumably) because he gets a lot of business from Mike and wishes to continue to get recommendations, he will do the best for Mike's clients.

Since Mike himself has highlighted the problem here, at least we don't have to worry about arguing about it. The problem is that you don't want an inspector who's beholden to anyone but YOU the client. You certainly don't want one that's beholden to your agent as Mike describes. Mike has a strong financial interest in the deal closing. Deal doesn't close, he doesn't get paid. The client has an interest in the inspector finding all the problems and ultimately delaying or scuppering the deal as needed to best protect the client's interest.

So I will rewrite the sentence above to read: He knows if he screws up MY DEALS regularly (no one is perfect) and I AM impacted, he won't get the recommendation.

Inspectors aren't stupid, they know how agents get paid. Brandon's talking about 'false inspections' but clearly an inspection is an art and a science. There's a lot of gray area and judgment on what issues are identified, how they are described (in the report and verbally), etc.

It could be good for the client though if there is a problem and the client wishes to take legal recourse against the inspector due to missing a big defect (nobody is perfect as Mike says). If Mike has recommended the inspector, it's HIS inspector and now you have a pretty good case against Mike as well as the inspector and the seller. And even the seller might also have a decent case against Mike if negligence can be shown.

Personally, I would run from an agent pretty quickly if he gave me a single inspector recommendation and started talking about how that inspector will want to do right by the AGENT because they have worked together for a long time and that he won't screw up because he wants to continue to get my recommendations. Yikes. Out of there! Time for a new agent.

Or time for a new soapbox 🙄

Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Home inspectors don’t kill deals, the house does. All we do is uncover and deliver information. A good agent can use that information in their negotiations or be happy along with the buyer that they dodged a bullet. I choose to work with good agents. Some of them even hire me to inspect their personal houses and ones their family members buy. Why would I “go easy” on a house? That is doing a disservice to my client and could get me hauled before my licensing board. Not saying some don’t do it and that some agents don’t gravitate to soft inspectors, but agents and inspectors are people. Some people suck.

And I’ve had people hire me separately and say I dont trust the guys my agent recommended. If that’s the case, why are you trusting your agent to negotiate a six figure deal that you will live in every day?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:29 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,031 times
Quote:
I work with my clients throughout the process, from home search to closing.
One parameter of competence is the ability to observe while not being in the way, whether during construction or during inspection.

I might could agree that if an agent is so incompetent that they cannot attend and observe a home inspection without being in the way, they might not be qualified to be licensed for brokerage.
But, I have a hunch you aren't thinking along those lines.
Doing what you did I would be concerned about being held liable for what you didn't point out. Doing part of their inspection? Not a good idea.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 PM

31,590 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Doing what you did I would be concerned about being held liable for what you didn't point out. Doing part of their inspection? Not a good idea.
LOL
I never said I do "part of the inspection."

Would you actually withhold information from a client to avoid liability? That seems ridiculous.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Home inspectors donít kill deals, the house does. All we do is uncover and deliver information. A good agent can use that information in their negotiations or be happy along with the buyer that they dodged a bullet. I choose to work with good agents. Some of them even hire me to inspect their personal houses and ones their family members buy. Why would I ďgo easyĒ on a house? That is doing a disservice to my client and could get me hauled before my licensing board. Not saying some donít do it and that some agents donít gravitate to soft inspectors, but agents and inspectors are people. Some people suck.

And Iíve had people hire me separately and say I dont trust the guys my agent recommended. If thatís the case, why are you trusting your agent to negotiate a six figure deal that you will live in every day?

It's so fundamental and easy to understand.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:53 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,055,031 times
Quote:
LOL
I never said I do "part of the inspection."

Would you actually withhold information from a client to avoid liability? That seems ridiculous.
If you are there during an inspection directing the inspector then I think you likely are involved where you shouldn't be.

Can I ask specifically what you are talking about here? How did you uncover this material fact?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:57 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
I ask ALL KINDS of questions and "what about that?"s during inspection. I am there representing my client. If I think there's something important to point out or ask about or that my client should know and maybe doesn't know to ask.... I point and ask. I wouldn't work with an inspector who would get snippy about that either. Mine does not. He happily answers every question.

That's not directing the inspection, it's being my client's agent.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
If you are there during an inspection directing the inspector then I think you likely are involved where you shouldn't be.

Can I ask specifically what you are talking about here? How did you uncover this material fact?
I have never claimed to be "directing an inspection."

I look at houses.
I see stuff. It's not all that hard.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I ask ALL KINDS of questions and "what about that?"s during inspection. I am there representing my client. If I think there's something important to point out or ask about or that my client should know and maybe doesn't know to ask.... I point and ask. I wouldn't work with an inspector who would get snippy about that either. Mine does not. He happily answers every question.

That's not directing the inspection, it's being my client's agent.
Yup.
Fundamental to service. If one is service-oriented. If not, I guess some people put easy money first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or