U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,056,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have never claimed to be "directing an inspection."

I look at houses.
I see stuff. It's not all that hard.
Pointing something out during a showing is different than doing so at an inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:24 PM

31,605 posts, read 55,320,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Pointing something out during a showing is different than doing so at an inspection.
Not at all. The materiality of the item is unchanged, and my fiduciary responsibilities demand that I disclose what I discover.
Fundamental, legally and ethically.

So, you would withhold information rather than share.
I would not.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:24 PM

3,832 posts, read 2,053,214 times
Boots.... I don't understand what you're afraid of pointing things out during inspection. We spend a LOT more time at an inspection than any showing. 3 hours or more. Probably the longest time we will spend in and around the house prior to close. We are bound to notice a lot of things we did not notice during showings. I ask about any of it I think the client needs to know.... good and bad. I can't imagine NOT.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:46 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,677,829 times
Good agents choose good inspectors! It is in EVERYONE'S best interest! In my opinion if you can't trust the recommendation of your agent, you have the wrong agent! I've been an inspector for more than 20 years and was an engineer and builder prior in a prior life. I can say that I have never seen ANY evidence of an inspector in "cahoots" with a real estate agent. Think about it......there is far too much liability. How long would an inspector last if he "soft shoes" a significant issue to make a deal work? He/she would be sued in a "NY" minute!
There are good inspectors, there are bad inspectors and plenty that are somewhere between. A good agent recommends a good inspector.
By the way, in my opinion, most inspectors have no issue with an agent (or client) telling them about something they have observed. That, in no way, means the agent is "directing" the inspector!

Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM

7,697 posts, read 10,070,309 times
The first thing I ask my client and their agent is if they have seen anything they’re specifically concerned with or had seen. Why not take advantage of an extra set of eyes that’s been there. Though for sure, in my area right now, they’ve definitely not been in the house very long before. People are seeing houses for 15 minutes and putting in an offer.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 PM

2,303 posts, read 1,677,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The first thing I ask my client and their agent is if they have seen anything they’re specifically concerned with or had seen. Why not take advantage of an extra set of eyes that’s been there. Though for sure, in my area right now, they’ve definitely not been in the house very long before. People are seeing houses for 15 minutes and putting in an offer.
That is certainly the case!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 PM

29,931 posts, read 34,535,636 times
Inspections, we don't need no inspections. Just save your money and trust the sellers disclosed all the problems.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:19 PM

8,848 posts, read 17,443,646 times
So to sum this thread up, the recommendations are usually as good as the agent. Some agents have higher standards and more experience than others.

For Boots and JB, I have flipped houses. I have observed hundreds, maybe over 1000 of various kinds of inspections. I've negotiated hundreds of repair addendums. I'm not an inspector but I know what they look for and how to identify many visible issues because of that experience. I'm not a contractor but I know how to fix things and how much it should cost. I always point out issues I see that can be red flags or that I know will come up inspections. I talk about repair cost and renovation expenses. That's why people hire me and that's why they trust me. I even advise buyers of what they should ask for to be repaired at a minimum! I don't understand why someone would withhold that info or why others would expect an agent to withhold that info. I'm not ashamed to say I'm an expert. But hey, if a consumer want "just an agent", there are plenty of those out there.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:02 PM

7,763 posts, read 6,119,124 times
I'm just glad I didn't respond immediately to the inanity of the first post; instead, I had a hunch a screed wouldn't be far behind.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:19 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,993,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The reality is that people don't like to be told who or what they should or should not be responding to. Mike tried his campaign and it was fruitless and backfired against him. Yours is too. The people have spoken and they will respond or not as they wish. Not as they are told. No more apologies for responding. No more "I don't normally respond but...". No more living in fear of breaking someone's boycott. The people will speak as they wish.
get help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or