Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 08:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,883,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Regional.
I always know who is inspecting my listings.
They have to make an appointment to inspect, and they sign their reports.
And, any repair request cites their reports.
Definitely, I never know who's inspecting my listings, nor do I divulge who is completing my buyer inspections. The listing agent eventually finds out as a copy of the report is attached with repair addendum/contract release, but by then it doesn't matter who did it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:51 PM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times
Quote:
Regional.
I always know who is inspecting my listings.
They have to make an appointment to inspect, and they sign their reports.
And, any repair request cites their reports.
Fair enough! I should know by now to start out every post with "at least in my area"

Here.... the buyer's broker makes the appointment... inspectors can't get in without us.
Of course inspectors sign the reports, but the report is not given to the seller in it's entirety. Sometimes excerpts are used, but not branded with the inspector's name, so they could have come from anyone.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,582,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
FWIW, not that it matters, but seldom does the listing agent even know who the inspector was. It is not something buyers agents usually divulge to the seller or the listing agent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Definitely, I never know who's inspecting my listings, nor do I divulge who is completing my buyer inspections. The listing agent eventually finds out as a copy of the report is attached with repair addendum/contract release, but by then it doesn't matter who did it
Something is either protected under the client confidentiality part of your fiduciary responsibilities or not. If it's not protected, the client should have no expectation that the inspector's identity is confidential and it shouldn't even be brought up as it could be misleading. And anyway, what matters is whether or not the INSPECTOR thinks his identity is confidential. By the way, I'm not saying it should be protected as confidential, just asking as you were the one who brought up it being "kind of" confidential or maybe sometimes confidential.

kww says they NEVER know who's inspecting your listings but then says the report is attached to the repair addendum so it makes no sense to say that you 'never know'. It's important to be correct and clear about these things when making representations like this. Anyway, I doubt that all listing agents are relaxed about who's doing the inspection. It's a sales person's job to understand all he or she can about what's going on with their listing or their client and who is doing the inspection or even if there is or isn't an inspection is not an insignificant matter.

Why do you think it doesn't matter any more if the listing agent finds out later who the inspector was? That makes no sense and is not an argument against my position. As long as the inspector knows or even thinks that the listing agent might know who did the inspection, he could be influenced by this exactly as he might if it was known right up front. Nobody is going to say "well they won't know I did this inspection for two days so it doesn't matter if i pi$$ them off". Not correct logic and nobody thinks like that. I understand that you have a different opinion than I do but frankly your arguments don't make sense. If my position is so very wrong, it should be easy to make logical and correct arguments against it without having to resort to ones that make no sense. Maybe there are proper arguments against my view but these certainly aren't them.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,806,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Fair enough! I should know by now to start out every post with "at least in my area"

Here.... the buyer's broker makes the appointment... inspectors can't get in without us.
Of course inspectors sign the reports, but the report is not given to the seller in it's entirety. Sometimes excerpts are used, but not branded with the inspector's name, so they could have come from anyone.
And, , "at least in my area..."

Most inspectors are affiliate MLS members, so they can access properties via lockboxes and can make their own appointments.
Affiliate membership only became available to inspectors 3 or 4 years ago.

Before affiliate membership was available, all appointments had to be made by a REALTOR®. Ergo the reason some inspectors got licensed and became REALTORS® and MLS members.
It gave them a small competitive advantage over guys who weren't MLS members. For non-member inspectors, agents had to go to all inspections, open the lockboxes and be there the entire time, and even to go back to let inspectors in to collect radon monitoring gear.

The inspector I usually recommend is a REALTOR® and has been a member of the MLS since before affiliate membership was allowed.
The same for the termite guy I usually recommend.
Neither will ever work as brokers. They have no interest in that.

REALTOR® or affiliate member, the inspector's access is limited to himself. If the buyer wants to attend the inspection, or even part of the inspection, the agent must be present. Even an inspector who is a REALTOR® cannot let the client access the house.

All the above... "at least in my area..."

Old 04-06-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
Heck, "at least where I am..."

It is not uncommon for the listing agent to ask who the inspector will be and for the buyers agent to say, "Oh, probably John Smith."
Then, John makes the appointment via MLS, and it is well known who it will be.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm glad I didn't listen to the advice given by so many posters on this thread. I trusted the inspector my RE agent recommended to me so much that I married her 16 months later
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Depends on the consumer's fear of the possibility of the inspector feeling "beholding to the agent" as you put it. A consumer as sure as you are of that possibility probably shouldn't waste the money on an inspection he isn't going to trust.
Clearly, Scooby "Be Holding," methinks....

"At least where he is..."

Old 04-06-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I’ve actually been thinking of buying a pair of these.
https://www.cougarpaws.com/p-212-performer-boot.aspx Supposed to be better for the Roof as well as giving way better grip.

Usually with Valleys I can get up decently steep ones though just using running shoes. Makes it way easier. But yeah 12/12 ain’t happening regardless of what I’m wearing, unless it’s a jet pack. My own house is a 16/12 so, never going up there either. But, it’s pretty easy to see from the ground at that angle.
Unless you wear a size 33-WWW, , that $40 pad spreads your point of contact over a wider area than shoes to grip nicely. I used to lay them over the gutter, so I could put my ladder up without putting it directly on the gutter and scratching the finish.

When people in your neighborhood start writing checks for new roofs on those 16/12 babies, they will be in shock. Someone should have a portable defibrillator around when the quotes come in...

Old 04-06-2018, 05:04 AM

9,140 posts, read 14,714,030 times
Quote:
Unless you wear a size 33-WWW, , that $40 pad spreads your point of contact over a wider area than shoes to grip nicely. I used to lay them over the gutter, so I could put my ladder up without putting it directly on the gutter and scratching the finish.

When people in your neighborhood start writing checks for new roofs on those 16/12 babies, they will be in shock. Someone should have a portable defibrillator around when the quotes come in...
You’re right on the cost of the roof. Hopefully we will be gone before that becomes an issue.

As far as gutter protection goes, I use this thing. Works pretty well and I can use a pole to put it on higher gutters. It transfers the weight to the back of the gutter, onto the fascia. Especially great for these older single story ranches that have the old school nails with the ferrule since they can come right through the front of the gutter if you aren’t careful.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Roofers-22053...ers/2077571906
Attached Thumbnails
Objectivity of Home Inspectors-5f9fc81b-6dc2-4cb8-990d-cbb81832fccf.jpeg  

Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM

14,417 posts, read 11,948,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Something is either protected under the client confidentiality part of your fiduciary responsibilities or not. If it's not protected, the client should have no expectation that the inspector's identity is confidential and it shouldn't even be brought up as it could be misleading. And anyway, what matters is whether or not the INSPECTOR thinks his identity is confidential. By the way, I'm not saying it should be protected as confidential, just asking as you were the one who brought up it being "kind of" confidential or maybe sometimes confidential.
I didn't say it was protected or confidential. I just said the listing agent usually doesn't know who it is, unless they were present for the inspection. The seller has the right to be on their own property and I have been to inspections where the owner, and their agent were present. If the inspector shows up with his name printed on his vehicle, and a name badge on his coveralls, it's hardly a secret who he is.

But unless they are there, they don't usually ask. I'd consider it poor form under most circumstances, to ask. And inspectors do NOT leave a card...

...*at least in my area!*

Old 04-06-2018, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,294,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
No, the issue is not about bribing, conspiracies, illegal agreements, or anything like that. Nobody is saying or suggesting that.

To paraphrase your own point: inspection is a business that lives on agent referrals. You don't get referrals by biting the hand that feeds you. End of story.

That is not to say inspectors are crooked. It's the reality of their business and just like agents, they must operate in a world that has a lot of gray areas and must balance avoiding getting sued, keeping the agent referrals coming in, pleasing the client, and being legal and ethical.

That's the 'premise' whether you agree with it or not. it's not about fraud or conspiracies. But we all understand why you're exaggerating.
And if an inspector does a bad job for a client that will rebound back on the agent that referred them. You don't get referrals by biting the hand that feeds you, that is, doing a bad job for the client they referred to you thus ruining their reputation with that client and closing them a chance at multiple future deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate