U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 AM

764 posts, read 46,373 times

Advertisements

Yes. It was very stressful. It happened twice, with 2 different agents on 2 different occasions. I certainly lost respect for the real estate profession after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 03:46 AM

31,636 posts, read 55,362,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
When I sold, the listing agent was actually the listing agent of the house I was buying on contingency.

She lived in an entirely different area. I was working so I have no idea if she was there. But every realtor who came through with a buyer left a card on my kitchen island. That is how I knew it was being shown a lot.

Do agents not leave cards in other areas of the country? I live in Alabama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We do that here
Not here.
Leaving a card unless requested to do so can be considered as soliciting the homeowner, the listing agent's client.
And then, since I seldom even carry cards when showing homes, I find myself without one when requested. That happens about every other year.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 AM

10,873 posts, read 41,184,197 times
Yes.

In my ignorance at the time, I listed my house with a "listing broker" who was the "top producer" in his real estate agency. He came by my house to "look it over" and gave me his suggested listing price based upon his "knowledge of the market" in the neighborhood. Since I didn't know about checking out the comp's or getting a more sophisticated pricing analysis, I took his word for the listing price and signed the contract.

Contracted at $18,499. Under contract at full price in 2 days after a few showings by other agents. (this was a modest 900 sq ft, 2 bdr/1ba, brick rancher w/full basement on a corner 160 x 100 lot in an OK neighborhood)

Was concerned about whether or not the house would "appraise" for the full price offer, but the agent assured me that it would be OK and we'd close on the contract date. I was told that the appraisal "came in OK", but no number mentioned. The agency ducked answering my repeated inquiries about the appraisal amount, only saying "it was OK" and that we'd close.

I never saw or heard from my listing agent after the listing contract was signed. His "office assistant" contacted me with the "good news, you've got a full price offer" and had me stop by their office to sign my acceptance.

At the closing, my agent was nowhere to be seen, he sent his daughter (a brand new licensed agent, 21 yrs old ... never had a sale contract of her own, my deal was her first closing attended), I was curious at the appraised value ... since I was charged for the appraisal. At that point, she finally gave me the appraisal. It was $20,800. At the time, that was a lot of money difference for me to have walked away from ... my next house I'd bought was $29,500. If I'd had listed my first house for $21,000 and gotten an offer close to that, it would have been a significant boost to my downpayment ... and gotten me out from under the PMI insurance cost, too, on my new mortgage.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:14 AM

29,956 posts, read 34,561,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Yes.

In my ignorance at the time, I listed my house with a "listing broker" who was the "top producer" in his real estate agency. He came by my house to "look it over" and gave me his suggested listing price based upon his "knowledge of the market" in the neighborhood. Since I didn't know about checking out the comp's or getting a more sophisticated pricing analysis, I took his word for the listing price and signed the contract.

Contracted at $18,499. Under contract at full price in 2 days after a few showings by other agents. (this was a modest 900 sq ft, 2 bdr/1ba, brick rancher w/full basement on a corner 160 x 100 lot in an OK neighborhood)

Was concerned about whether or not the house would "appraise" for the full price offer, but the agent assured me that it would be OK and we'd close on the contract date. I was told that the appraisal "came in OK", but no number mentioned. The agency ducked answering my repeated inquiries about the appraisal amount, only saying "it was OK" and that we'd close.

I never saw or heard from my listing agent after the listing contract was signed. His "office assistant" contacted me with the "good news, you've got a full price offer" and had me stop by their office to sign my acceptance.

At the closing, my agent was nowhere to be seen, he sent his daughter (a brand new licensed agent, 21 yrs old ... never had a sale contract of her own, my deal was her first closing attended), I was curious at the appraised value ... since I was charged for the appraisal. At that point, she finally gave me the appraisal. It was $20,800. At the time, that was a lot of money difference for me to have walked away from ... my next house I'd bought was $29,500. If I'd had listed my first house for $21,000 and gotten an offer close to that, it would have been a significant boost to my downpayment ... and gotten me out from under the PMI insurance cost, too, on my new mortgage.
I don't understand really. The appraisal is ordered by the Buyers Lender for the Buyer and is paid for by the Buyer. Usually we (Listing agent and seller) do not get a copy or hear about the appraised value just that it has appraised. If the appraisal comes in above the sales price, you could not renegotiate the contract sales price for the higher appraised price.

Back to OP... We agents are paid by Commission , not by the hour or length of time a home sits on the market. It's in our best interest also to not let a home linger on the market. An agent who lets a home sit on the market for 9 months in a good market means something is very wrong.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:20 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,150,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

Do agents not leave cards in other areas of the country? I live in Alabama.
The owner and OP said he was 1500 miles away so it wouldn't matter he wouldn't see them.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,150,368 times
It never occurred to me to do this till reading this but when people are evaluating which realtor to list with, can people ask for ALL their past listings for say a year, to see how long houses were on the market? Also listings are still on the market its fairly easy to contact the other owners and get feedback on how much communication they are getting.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 AM

3,608 posts, read 1,524,512 times
They are sales people. You can expect real estate people to act like sales people. In other words, as soon as they have gotten what they want from you, they're done.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 569,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
It never occurred to me to do this till reading this but when people are evaluating which realtor to list with, can people ask for ALL their past listings for say a year, to see how long houses were on the market? Also listings are still on the market its fairly easy to contact the other owners and get feedback on how much communication they are getting.
You can (and should) ask pretty much anything you want. Taking a look at their listing history (a year might be a bit much, but 6 months is a good baseline) is a good data point. As is:

1. Number of active listings, locations too (are they all over, or targeting specific neighborhoods)
2. Marketing strategy.
3. Communication process.
4. Number of sides they did in the past year.
5. Current/Past client feedback.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:22 AM

1,519 posts, read 569,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
They are sales people. You can expect real estate people to act like sales people. In other words, as soon as they have gotten what they want from you, they're done.
Which comes down to commission and referrals. Neither of which happen if the agent doesn’t take care of the client.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:24 AM

3,837 posts, read 2,061,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not here.
Leaving a card unless requested to do so can be considered as soliciting the homeowner, the listing agent's client.
And then, since I seldom even carry cards when showing homes, I find myself without one when requested. That happens about every other year.
Just another one of those quirky differences by region. We get fined if we DON'T leave a card.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate