U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,232,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sorry but not true. Most agents want to get the house sold so they can get a pay check. Usually the bare minimum does not get the job done.

Most successful agents work extremely hard, many times 6-7 days a week 10+ hours a day. The bare minimum is not in their vocabulary.
The operative word is successful. What determines if an agent is "successful"? If you had to hazard a guess what percentage of agents are "successful"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 PM

33,092 posts, read 12,635,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You would think so, but in a hot housing market, where people are practically falling all over themselves to buy houses before they go up even higher, the real estate agents focus on getting as many listings as possible. If your house looks like it will require more than minimal effort to sell it, and they have a bunch of other listings that will require only minimal effort to sell them, they are going to focus on getting as many of those types of listings, and on writing up the paperwork for the offers from people who have to buy a house before they go up any higher.

I have seen this both as a seller and a buyer in a hot market. As a seller in a hot market, the agents don't want to spend any more time than the minimum on you. If the house doesn't sell right away, they default to dropping the price, no thought about whether there's something specific about the house that you need to change. As a buyer in a hot market, you basically have to beg them to even answer the phone, and you need to be ready to pull the trigger within the first 5 or 8 houses they show you. If you don't buy one of the first few houses they show you, they will be done with you.
With few exceptions, that's been our experience as well.

As a seller, the attitude seems to be that all we have to do is wait for the right buyer to come along. Other than the MLS, little effort is put into marketing.

As a buyer, the attitude seems to be. "Well, you've seen half a dozen houses. Which one do are you going to put an offer on?"

Old 04-02-2018, 11:20 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,322,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sorry but not true. Most agents want to get the house sold so they can get a pay check. Usually the bare minimum does not get the job done.

Most successful agents work extremely hard, many times 6-7 days a week 10+ hours a day. The bare minimum is not in their vocabulary.

That's true and why there are so few successful agents out there.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:25 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,092,539 times
There is a downside to the area's "major producer" and that is how much time and energy they have to devote to you. They go for quantity, and that's often at the expense of quality customer service. I happen to think that there can be a benefit to using an agent who is less busy, less hustle and bustle, who only has a few listings or a few clients and will work a lot harder for you. I say go with the one who is eager for your business and responsive when you call.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:01 AM

31,699 posts, read 55,551,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
There is a downside to the area's "major producer" and that is how much time and energy they have to devote to you. They go for quantity, and that's often at the expense of quality customer service. I happen to think that there can be a benefit to using an agent who is less busy, less hustle and bustle, who only has a few listings or a few clients and will work a lot harder for you. I say go with the one who is eager for your business and responsive when you call.
Some folks must think McDonalds makes the best burgers.
They sure are Top Producers in the burger business....

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-03-2018 at 03:12 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,493,686 times
Quote:
So you're implying agents that don't have as much business work harder to sell a home?

I'd say the agent who has sold a lot of homes probably has a good work ethic. If an agent hasn't sold a lot of homes I'd wonder why they haven't sold more. Maybe they don't work very hard? I've sold a lot of houses. Are you saying an agent who has sold fewer homes than you or me works harder than we do? I know an agent that's only has 1 listing. They must dedicate 24/7 to getting that home sold.

Of course what I posted isn't correct any more than what you posted is. Do you see the absurdity of it?

A person works hard or they don't. They have good systems or they don't. Good systems and time blocking allow an agent to accomplish a much higher production volume without sacrificing service.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM

3,857 posts, read 2,092,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you're implying agents that don't have as much business work harder to sell a home?
I'm saying don't necessarily rule them out is all! There's a lot of good agents out there who aren't on the top of any lists. They may have more time for you than the Rain Maker who never answers his phone when you call.

Quote:
A person works hard or they don't.
Right.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-03-2018 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-03-2018, 11:03 AM

1,528 posts, read 736,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

I'd say the agent who has sold a lot of homes probably has a good work ethic. If an agent hasn't sold a lot of homes I'd wonder why they haven't sold more. Maybe they don't work very hard? I've sold a lot of houses. Are you saying an agent who has sold fewer homes than you or me works harder than we do? I know an agent that's only has 1 listing. They must dedicate 24/7 to getting that home sold.

Of course what I posted isn't correct any more than what you posted is. Do you see the absurdity of it?

A person works hard or they don't. They have good systems or they don't. Good systems and time blocking allow an agent to accomplish a much higher production volume without sacrificing service.
No. Diana's not saying any of that and what she's saying is not absurd.

She said "there is a downside". I'm not trying to speak for her but she's presenting the other side of the coin. I don't think she's arguing that somebody with no business is always better or even someone with fewer clients is always better. Intelligent humans can understand different dimensions of an issue without always boiling everything down to GOOD or BAD.

Often it's suggested here that clients look at how many homes the agent has sold, etc when making their choice and I think Diana is merely trying to caution that there could be a downside to chasing the agent with the high production numbers. That's all.

Language is full of nuance. You should work on drawing keener distinctions in meaning in what people are saying. Real estate in particular can be complicated. People can get emotional. You need a very deep level of understanding to know what's going on. You need to not only understand what people are saying but what they are NOT saying. What are they thinking? What's the elephant in the room? I'm concerned that from your participation on this forum you seem to struggle in understanding even what people explicitly say, completely ignoring any nuances in meaning.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:04 AM

3,229 posts, read 1,993,897 times
Wait, so you didn't mow your lawn for months and yet you were surprised the grass grew?

YOU set the price for your house, not the Realtor. It's their job to recommend a price based on their expertise and comparables. If your house wasn't selling, you could have changed the price at any time.

I distrust Realtors as much as the next guy and think they are a complete waste of time and money but take a little responsibility for yourself.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,493,686 times
Quote:
I'm saying don't necessarily rule them out is all! There's a lot of good agents out there who aren't on the top of any lists.
This I agree with and it's very different from your other statement. I think it's wise to interview agents.

Quote:
They may have more time for you than the Rain Maker who never answers his phone when you call.
I don't like the wording. The first time I read this I read it as you saying all rain makers never answer their phone. The second time I read it I interpreted what you were saying to be if a rainmaker never answers the phone then you will probably be better off with a quality agent who doesn't have as large a workload.

Some of the best agents I know don't do tons of business. Some of the best agents I know are the top producers. Moral of the story: interview agents and make sure you get a good fit (and an escape clause in case you got fooled by a good presenter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate