U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 09:00 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,214,083 times

Advertisements

Before I listed my house my agent called me every few weeks. They told me how great the market was and how they had never seen anything like it in their many years as an agent. They kept calling and telling me how much better it was getting and houses were selling like hotcakes. They would call me back within 10 minutes. They gave me this sales pitch about how they were different from other agents. After they got the listing it was another story.
We moved out, cleaned the house and left it up to them. They had a few open houses and then nothing. I received minimal feedback. The grass was 2 feet high and the neighbor called and was furious with us. I explained nobody had told me anything. I had to hire a landscaper to cut the grass and pretty up the landscaping. This was several months into the listing. It was MY idea to get the place painted. Fortunately I remembered the painter who did work for me when I moved in and did a fabulous job for $1300. We were paying for 2 mortgages and the whole thing was getting ridiculous. It took 9 months to sell it in the "best Real Estate market in decades"
This was not unusual behavior for agents in my experience. I have sold 4 or 5 houses and they say and do whatever to get the listing. Then they forget about it until a few weeks before it ends. It like dating, you are attentive and charming and when you win them over you can revert to your normal self.
I am not saying all agents are like this, I am sure there are many wonderful ones out there. Not so much in my experience. Maybe it was just the area we lived in.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 04-01-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,515,435 times
Never trust a pushy agent with your listing. They make false promises, now you learned and can warn others.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 AM

12,937 posts, read 24,074,385 times
Going through this right now. No feedback and when I questioned he said the realtors showing were like we showed so many it's a blur. Never hear unless I initiate first. IMO he went way too high on listing, so now almost six months in with several price drops, I was trusting him too speak the truth. When I asked why he went so high his reasoning was well everything comparable was that high, I saved many of these comparable listings and they all have had numerous price drops!! Maybe it's the area, cape Coral FL but who knows.

Now I have a slight mold issue from people upstairs so I have to get right on that, told him to pull listing, by time I have mold issue taken care of contract will be expired,as I also told him NOT to renew contract and I'll be back to square one. Of which by the way NO ONE noticed this and didn't tell my realtor? My neighbor called as a showing realtor left all lights on and she went in to turn off, also left all the dam fans on, guess it was a blessing in disguise.

Problem is there are so many realtors out there and some just dabble imo it's a major headache to find one who are worth the price you end up paying. Unfortunately good agents are hard to find imo

I also wonder do selling agents ever show their own listings??

Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM

31,636 posts, read 55,374,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Going through this right now. No feedback and when I questioned he said the realtors showing were like we showed so many it's a blur. Never hear unless I initiate first. IMO he went way too high on listing, so now almost six months in with several price drops, I was trusting him too speak the truth. When I asked why he went so high his reasoning was well everything comparable was that high, I saved many of these comparable listings and they all have had numerous price drops!! Maybe it's the area, cape Coral FL but who knows.

Now I have a slight mold issue from people upstairs so I have to get right on that, told him to pull listing, by time I have mold issue taken care of contract will be expired,as I also told him NOT to renew contract and I'll be back to square one.

Problem is there are so many realtors out there and some just dabble imo it's a major headache to find one who are worth the price you end up paying.

I also wonder do selling agents ever show their own listings??
Don't wait for expiration/termination of the listing to interview other agents.

FWIW, selling agents by definition are buyers agents.

Listing agents have listings. With an appealing property and proper pricing, you should expect a great many more buyer agent showings rather than showings by your listing agent.
If your listing agent is doing most of the showings, you have a significant market or price issue.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:07 AM

12,937 posts, read 24,074,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Don't wait for expiration/termination of the listing to interview other agents.

FWIW, selling agents by definition are buyers agents.

Listing agents have listings. With an appealing property and proper pricing, you should expect a great many more buyer agent showings rather than showings by your listing agent.
If your listing agent is doing most of the showings, you have a significant market or price issue.
Thanks, no my agent has never showed my question was out of curiosity.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 AM

31,636 posts, read 55,374,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks, no my agent has never showed my question was out of curiosity.
Well, really, I expect the other 8000 agents in my MLS to generate far more showings than I would as the listing agent.
But, 6 months in, I would expect to have shown my listing at least a few times.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM

3,837 posts, read 2,061,340 times
It IS hard to get agents to give feedback. I know I'm not good about it either... we're busy and we looked at a lot of houses... The client didn't like yours enough to make an offer, or you would have heard. That too, is feedback!

If many have looked and no offers have come the issue is almost always price. Even if there's a visible flaw, the issue still often boils down to price.

More often than not in my experience, it's the seller hanging on to a too-high price, not the agent, but there are always exceptions to those kinds of rules.

There's no excuse for an agent not calling back, even if they don't have good answers for you. If there's NOTHING happening on the listing, something likely needs to change. Reduce price and/or increase marketing. Sometimes a price reduction is a real good reason to do another round of advertising in your local market or another open house.

On who shows it.... As listing agent, your agent probably shouldn't do many showings, as your agent. As listing agent, we only do occasional showings for buyers who have an agent that couldn't come that day for whatever reason... but not unrepresented buyers. Normally, if I think a caller will be seriously interested in our property, I would recommend someone else from our office show it. I represent the seller, and do not want to try to represent the buyer also. Open houses too, given to attract buyers, would typically be hosted by someone else from our office. We may come along to assist as needed, particularly on a large farm property, but we would have another agent help any unrepresented buyers, as a rule.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:35 AM

1,655 posts, read 2,981,848 times
Default Have you had a agent forget about you after you gave them the listing?

Good heavens, no.

When listing the house, I tell the agent how often I want him to touch base. Actually, usually they ask me how often I want to be contacted.

If he forgets, I call him and leave a message. But that hardly ever happens.

I think that this problem is more likely to occur, if you go with the first agent you see when entering the real estate office. I try to ask around and research to whatever extent I can, to find who is a good agent. To me this is much like I might do if I was planning to go to a new doctor.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:05 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,057,742 times
If you want feedback you have to pick up the phone and call. My lock boxes generate an automatic feedback request to an agents email, but rarely does anyone respond to these.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:07 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,119,381 times
Sure did. First two listing agents never communicated with us; one observed a leak and did nothing about it; didn't tell us (house was vacant) generating a 3-month costly fix. (insurance would not cover it)

Spent 2 years with those useless agents. The 3rd one sold it in 2 weeks and was in constant communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate