U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 PM

31,613 posts, read 55,335,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Wow, you're fired!
I was serious.
You said you would fire your agent for doing something, while you have no idea how to learn they did it.
There's something missing from your plan.

The point is, your agent should be listening for these gifts from the other agent.
And, should be engaging the other agent to prompt these disclosures.
It is amazing what an agent can learn by engaging the other agent.

Fire me? I'm the guy doing a good job for you, without tipping your hand.

These are just routine fundamental points that you misunderstand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 PM

1,653 posts, read 599,212 times
See Mike, that is the kind of attitude I've had problems with when selling MY home. It's my home, my money, you are being hired by me. If I didn't want certain personal things disclosed to buyers agent and you did so against my wishes I would fire. I've had agents act as if they are doing some kind of favor. I would think there is some kind of fiduciary duty on the part of my agent I hired to abide my wishes.

First you said but how would I find out, well maybe I wouldn't, doesn't make it right. Then say that that it's doing a good job with out tipping your hand.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
See Mike, that is the kind of attitude I've had problems with when selling MY home. It's my home, my money, you are being hired by me. If I didn't want certain personal things disclosed to buyers agent and you did so against my wishes I would fire. I've had agents act as if they are doing some kind of favor. I would think there is some kind of fiduciary duty on the part of my agent I hired to abide my wishes.

First you said but how would I find out, well maybe I wouldn't, doesn't make it right. Then say that that it's doing a good job with out tipping your hand.
You are completely misreading my statements. I am not sure why, but you are completely misreading.

In no way am I saying that I would disclose confidential, material information without your permission. I would not. and don't understand the source of your misunderstanding on that point.
Clearly, I am saying that as YOUR agent, I would try to get information from the buyer's agent that would help you in your negotiations.
I clearly said that the fact that you may not learn of an agent's misbehavior does not make it right.

Certainly, IF I did give up information you wanted held confidential, it would be unethical and even illegal behavior.
So, I would not. And, IF an agent working for you did, they should be fired.

It would not be unethical or illegal for me to listen to a blabbermouth buyers agent, and even to try to draw them out a bit.
Yet, I am seeing that you would fire me for honoring your confidentiality while listening to the "other side" to gain you an advantage.

Here is a Real Life Example, and, if this was your house, and I was your listing agent, how would this have compromised your confidentiality? Why would you have fired me?

A couple of years ago, I had a listing under contract.
The buyers made some silly repair requests.
I was on the phone with the buyers agent, and made a comment along the lines of, "Hey, this seems a bit silly."
She said, "Mike, I know I represent my buyers interests, but really, I hope this contract goes through. This is their fourth contract. They terminated the other three, and now they need to be in a house by the first of the month to have an address to register their daughter for school."
Me: "Wow. That sounds tough." Thinking: "Wow, indeed."

Called my seller: "Stonewall 'em."
And we had an edge on them for knowing of the buyers' urgency, and closed by the end of the month, doing fewer than requested repairs.

How would the buyers know their agent did this?
As your listing agent, why would you fire me for getting this information for you?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,392,318 times
If th eowner is in their 70's maybe they found out they have a terminal disease, want to make estate easier. Maybe looking at spending time in a hospice. Who knows.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 AM

4,113 posts, read 3,406,011 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why you are jumping down his throat. He simply asked how you would know.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:30 AM

595 posts, read 377,192 times
My original post was to ask in this scenario, what is, if any, a buyer's advantage.... I really do not care "why" it is for sale already. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
My original post was to ask in this scenario, what is, if any, a buyer's advantage.... I really do not care "why" it is for sale already. Thanks for the replies.
No. No advantage.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:05 AM

7,766 posts, read 6,123,712 times
Quote:
offer them what they paid +6%, cash and close in 7 days. There is your advantage.

Otherwise, in theory, every Buyer that has interest has access to the same info that you do, and have considered it as well. And either hasn't made an offer, or has had it rejected; most likely this would be for someone trying to buy it for 10/17 price + cost, without regard to the only thing that matters, current value.

Have you seen the place, in order to determine nothing's been done but some new paint?

Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM

16,494 posts, read 17,539,161 times
When I sell something why Iím selling it is inconsequential. I wouldnít tell you anyways as itís none of your business why itís for sale. I no longer want x item so itís for sale.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:47 PM

173 posts, read 97,833 times
Quote:
Quick facts-

2bdrm/2 bath condo, all mason constructed, good location, low HOA's, 1300 sq ft.

Private party purchase Oct '17.

Current owner purchased for $130K- mortgage of $75K verified through public county records. Property tax records are still in previous owner's name.

Listed February '18 for $149K, dropped to $146K Mar '18, other than some paint, there have been no improvements to the unit.

Sold comp's range from $110K- $145K depending upon updates & condition.

I know this market and area very well. I cannot see an increase in value of $15K-$20k in this short amount of time. With some nice updates, sure, this is not the case with this property.

My agent said they could ask seller's agent for some info on why it is up for sale already and I said it isn't any of my business. If there are problems with the unit, an inspector/contractor friend of mine would find them and these are well kept buildings.

Are there any advantages to the buyer, myself if I choose to make an offer after viewing it, on a property that has been owned less than 6 month's? And I am directly asking about purchase price.

Thanks.
Yes, and the more you know about the seller's position, the better. Information is king!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or