U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 AM

12,806 posts, read 9,519,270 times

Advertisements

I would never buy a home older than 10 years old. Most of my houses are custom where we've built them from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:16 AM

17,669 posts, read 21,863,538 times
Interesting note about construction and windows - the entire downstairs of my house has the original windows. The front door is massive, quarter sawn oak and beveled glass. One of the dining room windows is ornamental, stained glass with the initial of the first home owner (coincidentally, the same as my maiden name) incorporated into the design.

ALL of these windows are almost 100 years old. They were never replaced, but they were well maintained. We have no issues with drafts, heat, cold or hot spots. Yes, we have CAC - as the house was maintained over the years. The sunroom is cool in the summer.

In the master bedroom and the second largest bedroom, the windows were replaced with thermo-pane windows - we are guessing sometime in the late 1990s - early 00s. It's a brand you have heard of, I am sure.

In winter storms, the windows rattle and there are drafts. We live in Northern OH. So this is a big deal.

The old windows were fine the way they were. Our guess is that someone convinced the homeowner that he had to "upgrade".

Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,874,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
In your opinion. It's fair to say that some people agree with you, but many others disagree.
I think it's fair to say that many disagree with ripping apart a historic home for "modern trends", such as open concept. Oh and 99% of the time, beams were not meant to be exposed and barn doors belong in barns.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 AM

13,105 posts, read 7,243,047 times
I will only live in a house built between 1880-1920. There's just something about old growth wood for both beauty and strength. Give me those stained glass and leaded windows as well. New construction? Not for me.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,989,966 times
Our current home was built in 1923. We've owned an early '90's house and we had one built in 2010. Of the three the 1923 home has the best construction and craftsmanship. The '90's house is garbage. The 2010 house was not the quality we expected.

I love my almost 100 year old house and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited by Vegabern; 04-03-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 01:59 PM

16,557 posts, read 17,694,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Real estate agents do not "provide" home inspectors. They will offer some referrals if asked but it's not their responsibility to have the house inspected, it's the buyer's.

OP, as a first time buyer, I think something on the newer side is usually a lot easier to deal with, but can still be a great learning experience in home maintenance and how to do as much DIY stuff as you are comfortable with. And then, if you are drawn to an older house, you can take on those challenges in a much more educated fashion.

Personally, I'm not particularly handy so I would only buy an older home if it had gone through a gut renovation so I was getting the benefit of the charm and character but didn't need to do more than the ordinary amount of home maintenance.
But what heís saying is do not use the agents provided referrals. Get your own people. Itís not hard.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:21 PM

3,762 posts, read 4,320,529 times
Our first house was 75 years old when we bought it, although it had been updated in the 1950s with "modern" wiring. It was a lovely house, but when we moved to another state, we opted to buy a house that was only 9 years old.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:33 PM

19,128 posts, read 10,162,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
But what heís saying is do not use the agents provided referrals. Get your own people. Itís not hard.
Personally I think that's silly advice, esp. if you are relocating and don't know anyone in your new area. I've gotten many referrals over the years from the real estate agents I've used, for inspectors and also for tradespeople. I still check references and compare things, but an agent's reputation is critical to their business and they don't gain anything by referring people who don't do a good job.

And since I did due diligence when choosing an agent in the first place, I felt comfortable that I wasn't getting someone who was going to try to scam me into buying something based on a fraudulent inspection. YMMV

Old 04-03-2018, 03:02 PM

405 posts, read 130,784 times
If I feel that I can afford to maintain an old home (and if the home was well maintained before I decided to buy), and the location was right the age of that home wouldn't bother me

Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 1,663,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Interesting note about construction and windows - the entire downstairs of my house has the original windows. The front door is massive, quarter sawn oak and beveled glass. One of the dining room windows is ornamental, stained glass with the initial of the first home owner (coincidentally, the same as my maiden name) incorporated into the design.

ALL of these windows are almost 100 years old. They were never replaced, but they were well maintained. We have no issues with drafts, heat, cold or hot spots. Yes, we have CAC - as the house was maintained over the years. The sunroom is cool in the summer.

In the master bedroom and the second largest bedroom, the windows were replaced with thermo-pane windows - we are guessing sometime in the late 1990s - early 00s. It's a brand you have heard of, I am sure.

In winter storms, the windows rattle and there are drafts. We live in Northern OH. So this is a big deal.

The old windows were fine the way they were. Our guess is that someone convinced the homeowner that he had to "upgrade".
Oh, I envy you. The family from whom I bought my house went on an "upgrading" kick in 1995 and decided to rip out the original windows then. They had lasted since 1927 intact. I'd give anything to have them back again, as they were 3 over 1 panes. I only have 3 original windows left in the dormer, and they look so good that I can just imagine how nice the house would look if all of them were present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or