U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 AM

6,324 posts, read 9,033,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreDad View Post
Massachusetts is 40hrs of classroom.
Sorry. You are correct. It's 40 hours of classroom time.

Also, I agree with everyone else. There is no demand nor any need for a part-time real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 AM

15,744 posts, read 23,977,253 times
Ugh, when we were looking for our first house we dealt with some part time realtors. Mostly women with small kids who wanted to work around nap time and preschool schedules. We shed them pretty quickly.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:24 PM

7,773 posts, read 6,123,712 times
40 hours is still way too low, IMO. "In one week, you too can become a licensed real estate agent". Gives me shivers.

Those of us who post routinely should really figure out how to make the requirements of education and ability much harder, so that consumers have a reasonable expectation of professional capability.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ugh, when we were looking for our first house we dealt with some part time realtors. Mostly women with small kids who wanted to work around nap time and preschool schedules. We shed them pretty quickly.
I wish more people were like you. I've seen a lot of damage done by part timers over the years. I can't tell you how many people I've come across with a license who just maintain it to "help friends." The sad part is they're usually only hurting their friends because they have no idea what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
40 hours is still way too low, IMO. "In one week, you too can become a licensed real estate agent". Gives me shivers.

Those of us who post routinely should really figure out how to make the requirements of education and ability much harder, so that consumers have a reasonable expectation of professional capability.
You think that's bad . . . if you're an attorney in MA you just fill out a form and send in a check and they send you a BROKER's license. Not a salesperson's license but a BROKER's license. Totally ridiculous. It's like letting a bull loose in a china shop. Also, I believe they don't need to fulfill the CE requirement to maintain their license.

I couldn't agree with you more though. There needs to be much higher barriers to entry in this industry and it needs to be much harder to maintain a license so that people who are in it currently who don't belong here get shaken out. The stakes are just too high for consumers to have it any other way.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that the organization wielding the most power in this industry (NAR) would lose a ton of members and therefore membership dues if this came to be. So, I can't see them ever being in favor of this. Maybe I've just read too many paranoid posts on C-D though . . .

Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 PM

7,773 posts, read 6,123,712 times
IMO, the professionals would happily pay 2x the dues to shake the half that shouldn't be representing people out of the business, and keep new people that also shouldn't be representing others from entering.

I am careful not to use "barriers to entry", because there are ignoramuses around here who will leap on that term. I just want MUCH higher standards for licensure - both to get one and to keep one. And if the standards cost me a lot more, then I'm OK with it

Last edited by BoBromhal; 04-08-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
IMO, the professionals would happily pay 2x the dues to shake the half that shouldn't be representing people out of the business, and keep new ones from entering.

I am careful not to use "barriers to entry", because there are ignoramuses around here who will leap on that term. I just want MUCH higher standards for licensure - both to get one and to keep one.
I'm sure someone on here will decide I was being sinister by using the term "barriers to entry" but in the end I just want to see the industry have a positive reputation and I want to see a far higher percentage of consumers have a positive experience and also for them to see the value in hiring an agent. Most people don't see the value of an agent because they hire one that provides no value. I want to see there be more agents out there who are worth hiring.

Also, I mentioned in my post as well that there should be higher standards for maintaining a license.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:23 AM

1,528 posts, read 726,575 times
Quote:
IMO, the professionals would happily pay 2x the dues to shake the half that shouldn't be representing people out of the business, and keep new people that also shouldn't be representing others from entering.

I am careful not to use "barriers to entry", because there are ignoramuses around here who will leap on that term. I just want MUCH higher standards for licensure - both to get one and to keep one. And if the standards cost me a lot more, then I'm OK with it
I agree but you should say this regardless of who you may think leaps on it. Since the term "barriers to entry" is usually associated with reduced competition and especially with the industry having faced anti-competition problems (e.g. DoJ Settlement, etc) it's just not good language to use. Creates a very poor impression. I agree that it's wise to come at it from the perspective that quality needs to be improved rather than creating an impression that less competition in the industry is the objective.

I'm happy to see that you appear to be starting to see that careful use of language is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or