Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to buy a house in the northeast, after managing to sell one in the same region. It's not an easy market for sellers out here. Price and flexibility are very important to get a sale.

Here are some phrases taken from actual ads, which gave me a chuckle but absolutely no interest in calling the seller.

"Don’t miss out on this pre-spring price. Appraised for $460,000 in 2006"

"Buy it now from owner for $385,000. Price will go up if I have to put it with a realtor" (This house went to an RE agent and subsequently dropped the price)

"Price reduced. Hurry will increase in spring"

"Don't hesitate, the second caller is gonna be sorry!"

"This home is in the fastest selling community around!" (From a house ad that's been running for at least half a year with consistent price drops)

"Hurry, this gem will not last!" (Frequent ad)

"Area Is Selling Fast To Second Home Buyers, So Hurry" (Frequent ad, lots for sale in this town)

"Hurry and view this move-in ready charmer!" (no real hurry - this sleepy old town has recently had a bumper crop of short sales and foreclosures)

"HURRY THIS WONT LAST" (Same ad has run for months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
too funny!
I recently looked at a house online that described it in excellent move in condition. the second picture was of the staircase in the foyer with the dirtiest worn out carpet I've ever seen!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I see too many " this one won't last" remarks on new listings. It is almost always the kiss of death.

The "listed below appraised value" is one of my pet peeves as are out of season pictures. Why am I seeing snowy exteriors and Christmas decorations in July?

I have no idea why most brokers do not insist on a minimum level of quality control for their agent's listings.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,913 times
From Freakonomics written by Steven Levitt,

"Listed below are ten terms commonly used in real-estate ads. Five of them have strong positive correlation to the ultimate sales price, and five have a strong negative correlation....Higher Sales Price: Granite, State-of-the-Art, Corian, Maple, Gourmet.... Lower Sales Price: Fantastic, Spacious, !, Charming, Great Neighborhood....

Check what your listing looks like(!).

Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
too funny, I had some good laughs...thanks for posting...the tactics people use...they don't realize how damaging they can be...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Lemme see....I'll give the low-priced home a high-priced write-up......

Don't take this home for granite -- the state-of-the-art Corian countertop is perfect for serving your gourmet pancakes and maple syrup

Trust me, with all the misspellings in listings these days, nobody will even flinch at the mis-used "granite"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate