U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 PM

10,515 posts, read 6,007,892 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering buying land for building a home. I see land for sale in lots. For example, I saw a “lot” for sale with road and utility access. The lot was 5 acres. I don’t need or want that much. When land is listed for sale in this way, is the buyer selling the whole lot as one unit, or can people offer to buy less than the whole five acres?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 08:47 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,069,187 times
When you are buying a lot this way, you will have to buy the whole 5 acres.

Let's back up. Property is divided into parcels... and these are legal distinctions with boundaries that are surveyed and recorded. To change those boundaries, you would need to go through the proper channels to subdivide it, and have the new boundaries surveyed and recorded. Many times there are minimum lot sizes per zoning rules, and in rural areas, 1 house per 5 acres is a common minimum, so you couldn't split it up. Further out, the minimum lots might be even bigger.

You probably don't want to do all that. You just want to look for a property that is the size you want. Perhaps find a Realtor to help you look and explain some of these issues that will come up as you go.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:48 PM

7,791 posts, read 6,149,667 times
they want to sell 5 acres. if you want less than 5 acres, then you should find someone selling a lot the size that you want

Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 PM

10,515 posts, read 6,007,892 times
Thanks for this info. I will look into a smaller parcel. I will also look for some realtors when I get closer to moving things along.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 AM

3,608 posts, read 1,531,002 times
Sometimes the for-sale documentation will say "Will subdivide" which means the seller is willing to cut the parcel in two and sell only part of it. I assume the buyer would be on the hook for the costs of the survey and whatever fees are involved in changing the legal descriptions and registrations of the (previously one, now two) parcels.

If and only if the local zoning permits it, you could buy the whole thing and subdivide it yourself and sell part to someone else as a buildable lot. If the local zoning permits it. You can see many many places both in cities and in the country where this has been done.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:54 PM

10,280 posts, read 6,533,002 times
Don't buy a lot until you understand all that it takes to make it livable, is it near city water and sewer or do you need well and septic, is it near an electric pole, can you get internet service there, etc.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 AM

24,738 posts, read 59,704,583 times
Be wary of "utility access" That does not mean utilities are at the lot, It only means utilities can be brought to the lot. A process that can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM

13,539 posts, read 29,505,204 times
You say you don’t need or want 5 acres, but trust me, it sure is nice to have it. It provides privacy and keeps people from building right up next to you.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM

583 posts, read 186,317 times
You may find that the zoning in that area REQUIRES a minimum five acre lot.

Is it an APPROVED lot with the town. If it's not already "approved", the process may be longer than you want to spend.

Normally a lot that size is in the country and doesn't have city services like water and sanitary and you will need to have a well drilled and septic installed.

Has it been "PERC" tested? Has to do with the septic. If it doesn't "perc", you may need a different type of septic.

Ditto on what the other person said about the electric. Depending on the siting of the house, you may have to have poles installed to reach the house from above, or extensive trenching to run underground probably in conduits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or