U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,334,907 times

Advertisements

My brother in law had a small family cemetery in his front yard. Only five headstones and very old. If there were any descendants of the buried, they were not involved with these graves. Having these headstone smack dab in the middle of their yard was a novelty for them. This is in a rural area and they moved from a sprawling suburb that it was very uncommon to have a grave in your subdivision.

They would put flowers on the graves and took care of the maintenance. Because they loved the "strangeness" of it, they used to joke about being jealous of the house down the street (especially at Halloween) that had at least 15 headstones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 AM

7,904 posts, read 6,483,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
My brother in law had a small family cemetery in his front yard. Only five headstones and very old. If there were any descendants of the buried, they were not involved with these graves. Having these headstone smack dab in the middle of their yard was a novelty for them. This is in a rural area and they moved from a sprawling suburb that it was very uncommon to have a grave in your subdivision.

They would put flowers on the graves and took care of the maintenance. Because they loved the "strangeness" of it, they used to joke about being jealous of the house down the street (especially at Halloween) that had at least 15 headstones.
This is exactly what I'd hope for, but like I said earlier, I would be fine with visiting family members. That sounds like a perfect amount of headstones to take care of.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:51 AM

16 posts, read 5,908 times
Seems kind of interesting. I've always been saddened when I see a cemetery that's abandoned, and it looks as if no one is maintaining it. It's nice to know that there are people who are respectful to the long forgotten.

Hey, at least you know your home will never truly be "empty." haha...

Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM

1,877 posts, read 1,041,545 times
I would so go for that. A house/property with a cemetery. I have lived in a good amount of places where the cemetery was our next door neighbor. They always make the best neighbors.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM

9,811 posts, read 15,919,037 times
It was not uncommon for the dead to be buried on the family farm. Years ago I audited a firm that was buying nurseries and they discovered cemeteries on them.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 AM

11,433 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In a recent discussion with my wife I brought up that I think I want our next house to have an small, old cemetery on the property.

I researched the basic laws regarding this situation and am not bothered by having to allow family members to visit (if they exist). Iíd also have no problem maintaining it (thatís sort of why I want it).

Anyone here who has one on their property? Concerns Iím not thinking of? Problems with relatives of the deceased?

I know it may affect resale value, but whenever we go next, I expect to be living there when I die so that is not a concern for me.
We have a few pre-Revolutinary war family members buried on their old farm, the house still stands and the owners tend the cemetery. Nicely. Well tended and nice seating in the shade. Some large plantings protect the little I cemetery from view from the main street affording some privacy. Same on the house side, the view of people standing there at the headstones would be blocked from the house. Although they could see the car.

We called before a week before going and the lady of the house thanked us, told us it wasnít necessary to call before coming, we could show up when ever.

She also let us know, they were not related to the family in the cemetery and she knew nothing about the people buried there and since we gave her a time frame, she would arrange to be out, so there would be no one home.

The impression was people thought nothing about bothering the owners, and drilling them about the four or five people buried there and not taking no for an answer. She was polite, but firm about not being bothered by us.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 AM

Are the relatives direct descendants of yours? How long did the farm stay with the family? I'm very interested to hear more of your side of the issue, the family that has to visit on someone else's property. Do you go often? Has "contact" with these graves been regular throughout "history" or did family research rediscover the farm/burials?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-25-2018, 11:02 AM

11,433 posts, read 19,456,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Are the relatives direct descendants of yours? How long did the farm stay with the family? I'm very interested to hear more of your side of the issue, the family that has to visit on someone else's property. Do you go often? Has "contact" with these graves been regular throughout "history" or did family research rediscover the farm/burials?
We thought they were our sixth great grandfather and grandmother, and a few other relatives. I told my sister, who lived in in the area about what I thought, and she jumped in with both feet. BUT, like a lot of old style German families when one daughter died, the next daughter was given her name, complicated by the fact the father was one of three brothers, and they followed a style of naming girls after their mother Anna and boys after Papa Hans.

And Anna Maria is as common as mud. So, in a nutshell, I had to work from many directions and in the end, I find a lot of references to Anna Maria as my 5th great grandfathers wife but, I canít find a last name or a marriage record that isnít someone elseís guess. A lot of people have taken this grave guys daughters marriage record to another man (which is easy to do, as it is name indexed and you have to look farther to see to whom she is marrying) and planted it in their trees.

So, no, the people who we visited that day are not direct descendants. May not be indirect. So weíve never been back. But, it is Maryland, and a lot of people study genealogy. And the family had money and was well known.

Anna Maria no last name is a brick wall.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 AM

Interesting. To add to Anna Maria being a common German female name, I can tell you that my uncle's wife is 100% German and that's her name.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate