U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 2,076,959 times

Advertisements

I would want an agent who takes issues seriously, but keeps things in perspective. And if I still want the house... this is where I say "client, do you still want this house? Or do you want out? Important question!" If client wants house, which this one last says they did, then we need an agent who helps solve the problem by getting proof from the seller that the condition was repaired correctly and completely, to show the insurance company so we can move on and move in. We don't get there by freaking out or making accusations, we get there by working through the issue. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM

1,525 posts, read 575,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would want an agent who takes issues seriously, but keeps things in perspective. And if I still want the house... one who helps solve the problem by getting proof from the seller that the condition was repaired correctly and completely, to show the insurance company so we can move on and move in. We don't get there by making accusations, we get there by working through the issue.
As a buyer, I’d want an agent who grabs that little bit of leverage and uses it to work my price down. As a seller, I’d want an agent that spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this.

From the sound of the story so far in this case, we’ve got agents that are just trying to get to close.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 AM

Renegotiating the price doesn't actually solve the problem. It's one option potentially for the bad wall repair, but there's no indication that any money needs to be spent on the bathroom or that any loss in value has occurred. Sellers can tell when you're just trying to jack them around at the end over details, and they may not react the way you want them to, if they already feel like they've given plenty of concessions. It depends on the big picture here.

An agent who spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this".... What does that mean? Are we supposed to interrogate the seller over every question? The information came out.... it usually does if it's big. So we can only deal with the news as we get it.

As far as "getting to close"... we have a lot of people working toward that goal, up until now, including the buyer. It all hangs in the balance with people needing to know if they're moving in three days or not. If we represent the buyer, what we're working to do now depends entirely on what they want.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Renegotiating the price doesn't actually solve the problem. It's one option potentially for the bad wall repair, but there's no indication that any money needs to be spent on the bathroom or that any loss in value has occurred.

An agent who spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this".... What does that mean? Are we supposed to interrogate the seller over every question? The information came out.... it usually does if it's big. So we can only deal with the news as we get it.

As far as "getting to close"... we have a lot of people working toward that goal, up until now, including the buyer. It all hangs in the balance with people needing to know if they're moving in three days or not. If we represent the buyer, what we're working to do now depends entirely on what they want.
Actually. Renegotiating the price DOES solve the OP’s issue. They’re concerned about the amount of money it’s going to take to correct the flawed work. That’s probably been lost in all the j_b stupidity. As for loss of value, I’m going to again remind you of the impact to insurability - that can create issues, particularly on a high dollar home like this.

And yes. Sometimes getting proper disclosure involves a lot more explanation and questioning from the agent.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 AM

I updated and added an afterthought to the post above, I guess after you had hit reply....

It said "Sellers can tell when you're just trying to jack them around at the end over details, and they may not react the way you want them to, if they already feel like they've given plenty of concessions. It depends on the big picture here. "

Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I updated and added an afterthought to the post above, I guess after you had hit reply....

It said "Sellers can tell when you're just trying to jack them around at the end over details, and they may not react the way you want them to, if they already feel like they've given plenty of concessions. It depends on the big picture here. "
The old “edit button” trick, eh? I kid. I kid.

No, you’re right - we don’t know the picture. We only know a few drips and drabs of it from one side. That doesn’t mean we should assume one case or the other though.

I’d paraphrase the OP’s concern as this:

The house is going to take more money to bring up to the standard we purchased at, based on the actions of the seller after contract. They’re hardlining - do we have a case to hardline back?

In my opinion, which is worth as much as the price of admission to this site, I think they have enough to at least seek some type of concession or repair from the seller. Now, it’ll be up to them if it’s worth losing the deal.

“Based on the information provided”
And
“In my area” 🤓

Old 04-11-2018, 09:26 AM

I LOVE the edit button. I almost always think of something I should have said right AFTER I hit Post.

On edit...

See?

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-11-2018 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: clarity...

Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM

13,753 posts, read 31,631,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
As a buyer, I’d want an agent who grabs that little bit of leverage and uses it to work my price down. As a seller, I’d want an agent that spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this.

From the sound of the story so far in this case, we’ve got agents that are just trying to get to close.
Except that the OP stated that they are in a seller's market. I can tell you that when I'm listing houses right now, there are not a lot of repairs or concessions. My last three listings had 21 offers, 9 offers, and 6 offers. All were sold as-is with no repairs by the seller. It is really hard for buyers in hot seller's markets because there is very little leverage.

Market conditions matter in how things get or don't get negotiated.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM

18,342 posts, read 18,597,395 times
Diana Holbrook.having someone like you here can just ruin a thread sometimes.
Where's the fun, where's the drama and wild speculations when you keep trying to inject practical solutions and good common sense?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 AM

18,342 posts, read 18,597,395 times
The insurance company would be concerned if the seller had repaired the pipe but left it in where it was very possible to cause problems again.
He didn't just fix it, he removed the 'hazard' and the potential for any further damage and claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate