Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:37 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A frozen pipe is not damage. A pipe that is frozen, ruptured and leaks is damage. But not all frozen pipes rupture. Freezing might just only stop the flow, the owner notices, he remedies it before it causes damage. A good catch.
Great point. I heard "frozen." I never heard "ruptured" or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Close or don't close or eat it. It's a sellers market. They may even get more for the house than when you put in your offer.

Did you plan another walk thru or was the week before the last one?

Old 04-08-2018, 07:50 PM

They moved the shower to an inside wall so it won't freeze and put a mosaic where the old one was taken out, what you should do is thank them.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:51 PM

Also $30K for paint is ridiculous, inside and outside several times shouldn't cost you that. For $30K you would think it's Van Gogh doing the painting.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Seems it would be cheaper to hire someone in Vegas and pay their travel costs. If it's a temptation DM lvmench. He knows people.

I thought you were a bit of a DIY guy. Flat walls and paint matching aren't that tough. Any paint store can shoot a sample of the wall color and match it. Cut a 1"x1" piece out somewhere (you're already fixing the walls) and take it to them.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,007,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I agree. At the same time, in this community (Park City), it is like pulling teeth just to get a tradesman to return a call, let alone come out to give a bid.

Even with a $500K remodel budget, both architects and contractors all told us either "you're too small a project for us" or "we're booked out as far as we can see. Call us in the summer of 2019."
Maybe the word is out that you are difficult to work with..

Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Yes, I was very proud of you for asking about the state but not so proud that you were surprised if a state requires disclosure for repaired items. Many states do require disclosure of at least some types past repairs. Including the OP's state and, in my personal view, for this type of problem.
I never indicated that I aspired for you to be proud of me. You're neither my parent, nor a family member, nor my client, nor on the NC licensure board.

I do remember saying several months ago that perhaps your calling around these parts could best be to monitor the forum and quickly instruct topic-starters how they should provide more details before they expect answers to their questions. After all, this request/exhortation is in the pinned thread that is routinely ignored. My recollection is that you were not in favor of this responsibility, but as often, I could be wrong.

There are 50 states, I operate in exactly 1. I am required to know the rules of exactly 1 state. If you want to find and post the Disclosure statements for all 50 states (plus any additional local requirements), we'll see just how common disclosure of repaired items is. Otherwise, whether consumer or agent, you sure would revert to the LEGAL and ETHICAL (as defined by NAR if you're a Realtor) requirements. If you took it upon yourself as a Realtor to disclose a repaired pipe leak when the State disclosure said it WASN'T required .... then your Seller would have clear action against you.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
[list=1][*]Many of the sheetrock walls have hidden damage. It was hidden by artwork that was hung when we saw the house & had an inspector evaluate it. Now, of course, the artwork has been removed along with the seller's furniture. The nature of the damage: it looks like they had a not-very-good handyman (instead of a drywall/painting contractor) try to touch up the picture hook nail holes, but made it quite worse. Now there are large (2' by 3') areas on most every wall that no longer match. They are pretty dramatically ugly. Again, this is not just in one spot - it everywhere throughout the house.
That isn't hidden damage. That's normal. You aren't buying a new construction house. What exactly did you think was holding the "artwork" up on the walls? Magic?

Quote:
The seller -- who was there for the final walkthrough -- verbally said they had someone do repair work on them in an attempt to make them better - indicating acknowledgement of undisclosed damage.
Again, that's not damage.

That's part of buying a "used" house.

Quote:
[*]The seller told us during the final walk through that the reason the tile in the master shower has a mosaic inlaid in a wall is because that is where the showerheads used to be. The showerheads, valves, and piping were moved from one side of the shower that is on an exterior wall to the other side of the shower that is on an interior wall, because the water supply pipe in the exterior wall froze.
At least you didn't have to figure it out on your own, as the seller did. That's a good thing.

Quote:
This was nowhere mentioned in the seller's disclosure.
Didn't need to be. Problem was fixed.

Quote:
This is a "seller's market." We raised these with our real estate agent (not a very good one, we have learned), asking for some form of hold-back of the funds in escrow from which we will have the walls repaired/repainted. Our agent tells us the seller's agent said essentially "we won't repair anything. Close, don't close, we don't care. We think we sold it under market and can sell it to the next person who drives by."
If Park City/Deer Valley is currently a "seller's market", you can't be so picky and choosey.

Quote:
The dollars involved are not trivial -- I say this because a friend got a quote to repaint the interior of his house (2 story, 2800sf) for $30K. Yes, that is a lot - but in this community every contractor & tradesman is booked out for an extended period of time - so they of course raise their prices.
Who did your friend hire to paint the interior of a 2800 sq/ft house for $30K? Did he raise Michaelangelo from the dead?

Quote:
What are my options? I assume I can either close or not-close. If I close, can I then repair everything and sue the seller for reimbursement? Is there some way I can apply pressure to the seller to either repair or give me a credit for the repair?
You can ask for anything you want to - before you close. Doesn't mean you will get it.

Your complaints need to be worked out before you close & if the seller isn't going to budge...move on & find new construction that you can afford.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-08-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 09:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Comeon S&M...You are much more resourceful than this.

You do not pay $30K for the interior of a 10k SF house. 1/3 that. If the Park City Locals are socking it to you hire a crew out out SLC or elsewhere. You can put them up for a week for a couple of grand. Or have them camp in the house. Set up a dormitory in a house that size.

And on smooth walls it is a minor fix to repair. Fancy textures are a lot tougher. And the painters now a days are dead on at matching the paint.

I would hope the water pipe is well fixed. You do not run water pipes in exterior walls in cold climates.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:54 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A frozen pipe is not damage. A pipe that is frozen, ruptured and leaks is damage. But not all frozen pipes rupture. Freezing might just only stop the flow, the owner notices, he remedies it before it causes damage. A good catch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
They moved the shower to an inside wall so it won't freeze and put a mosaic where the old one was taken out, what you should do is thank them.
In case anyone missed it, the Utah disclosure requirement also says:

Please describe, to your knowledge, any attempts to repair any moisture−related damage and/or to prevent any recurrence of water and moisture−related problems on the Property:

Rerouting the pipes in the shower was repairing a water related problem even if nothing burst. Pipes in a home used and heated normally should not freeze unless there is a construction or design defect (i.e. 'problem').

Not a legal opinion on Utah disclosure, just reading the language in their form and that suggests that it would need to have been disclosed. It was not done for cosmetic purposes or to put in another type of shower, etc. it was done to repair a problem and to prevent recurrence of that problem (pretty much exactly as the disclosure form says).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate