Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Diana Holbrook.having someone like you here can just ruin a thread sometimes.
Where's the fun, where's the drama and wild speculations when you keep trying to inject practical solutions and good common sense?
I'm so sorry

(thanks! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Well, things are getting more interesting. According to our insurance company looking into whatever database maintains such things, the sellers filed a large insurance claim in 2015 for for “freeze water damage.” Large hasn't been defined to us as of yet.

Our insurance company, not too surprisingly, wants documentation of what actually happened and the repair to make sure the problem hasn't recurred. No, this wasn't in the disclosure.

I'm surprised. The sellers are not uneducated (he's a Neurologist) - but they do seem a bit unsophisticated. Still, I would expect they would understand that something for which they file an insurance claim is something they should disclose.

A "large claim" is problematical. Was there water behind the walls? This could result in a mold issue. If there was a pipe burst that caused a large claim I would want to know that all the wet sheetrock was totally replaced.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
I don't plan to bother touching up the pin-holes in my drywall when I go to sell my house. It's just not that big of a deal and if the buyer wants to complain about it they can either buy the house anyway or move onto the next one. Others will come along and know how to put a pinky-finger sized smidge of drywall mud on the hole and smooth them out and the next owners can paint the walls to their preference anyway.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:48 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
As a buyer, I’d want an agent who grabs that little bit of leverage and uses it to work my price down. As a seller, I’d want an agent that spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this.

From the sound of the story so far in this case, we’ve got agents that are just trying to get to close.
I agree with this. With the walls being messed up I would try to get them something off the price for that. If they buy it like it is its gonna cost them money for repairs they weren't expecting. It never hurts to ask and the seller did ********** up.

I think the messed up walls is likely the worst thing of the two issues. If a claim was filed about the pipes and it was fixed then that's done.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Renegotiating the price doesn't actually solve the problem. It's one option potentially for the bad wall repair, but there's no indication that any money needs to be spent on the bathroom or that any loss in value has occurred. Sellers can tell when you're just trying to jack them around at the end over details, and they may not react the way you want them to, if they already feel like they've given plenty of concessions. It depends on the big picture here.

An agent who spent more time on disclosure to avoid scenarios like this".... What does that mean? Are we supposed to interrogate the seller over every question? The information came out.... it usually does if it's big. So we can only deal with the news as we get it.

As far as "getting to close"... we have a lot of people working toward that goal, up until now, including the buyer. It all hangs in the balance with people needing to know if they're moving in three days or not. If we represent the buyer, what we're working to do now depends entirely on what they want.
Why can't negotiating the price down solve a problem?. I've seen it solve problems more than once.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Why can't negotiating the price down solve a problem?. I've seen it solve problems more than once.
It doesn't fix the insurance problem, which is the most pressing part of this problem right now. And proving the repair will take the seller's cooperation. So... tread carefully, beyond this point there be dragons.

Plus... It has evidently already been proposed and turned down. No knowing the whole story on this transaction, I'm not sure it's helpful to argue it is even possible.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
It doesn't fix the insurance problem, which is the most pressing part of this problem right now. And proving the repair will take the seller's cooperation. So... tread carefully, beyond this point there be dragons.

Plus... It has evidently already been proposed and turned down. No knowing the whole story on this transaction, I'm not sure it's helpful to argue it is even possible.
Diana This is a sophisticated buyer with substantial resources. If he feels the transactions is not straight up he can shut down the transactions for a year or more. He does not have to proceed or quit.

Do not expect the elephants to behave like normal clients. They can and may shut the transaction down until the issue is resolved.

None of this go away if you do not want to buy. The seller cannot sell either.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:33 PM

If that's so... he doesn't need our opinion either.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
If that's so... he doesn't need our opinion either.
That he can do what he wishes does not require that he avoid insights from the web.

What he can do and chooses to do are different things.

Does it offend you that he has in fact more options than most would?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Not at all! Why would you think that?

I'm not the one recommending they renegotiate the sale price over paint repair and a bathroom that by all accounts we've heard, has already been fixed and doesn't need repair.

I suggested they decide if they want the house or not, and act accordingly. Do you have me confused with someone else?

I am though, not sure what "other" options they really have that others wouldn't.

On edit.... I do hope you enlighten us on the last part.... I'm intrigued now! But probably can't respond til morning... it's past my bedtime here. Good night all.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 04-11-2018 at 09:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate