U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like when Agents and clients tour in the same car?
I never ride in my agent's car. 42 37.17%
I like to ride together with my agent. 45 39.82%
I am an agent, and don't take clients in my car. 11 9.73%
I am an agent and like it when we ride together. 15 13.27%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:39 PM

31,589 posts, read 55,295,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
I am no longer an agent, but when I was, I preferred not to have clients ride in the same car as me.

I believe it is best to keep such a relationship as professional as possible, and not become overly friendly with clients. The ride opens up a period of additional time spent together, which isn't likely to be spent discussing business.
I get that, but find a fair value in being with my clients for extended periods for discussion, answering questions and learning more about what they really want..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 04:58 PM

9,248 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I get that, but find a fair value in being with my clients for extended periods for discussion, answering questions and learning more about what they really want..
Aren't clients telling you what they want upfront? I have a written list that I will provide to my realtor including the targeted zip codes.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Quote:
This adds legitimacy to my concern. If I want to ride in my agent's car but he or she would rather have me in another car, how am I supposed to answer this silly poll as it won't let me select these two options? What if i want to ride with my agent but he has racist tendencies and would not let someone who learned English as a Second Language (i.e. someone who is ESL) into his chintzy minivan?

Or maybe I want to ride together with him but I just can't be seen riding in his chintzy minivan. How do I answer the poll as it won't let me select that combination?

Some guidance would be useful to help consumers navigate this poorly designed poll.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM

3,826 posts, read 2,044,841 times
The list of wants always changes as we go.

I become facebook and real-life friends with many of my clients. I don't put up barriers.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM

3,826 posts, read 2,044,841 times
Course... there's always that *one* guy....

Old 04-09-2018, 05:18 PM

1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Aren't clients telling you what they want upfront? I have a written list that I will provide to my realtor including the targeted zip codes.
Yeah but clients often lie. First they want "nice", then they want "affordable" (I mean really...come on). Lock them in the car (special locks made for the minivan) for extended period of rendition (oh, I meant "discussion") and you can get the truth. One way or another you get to the truth.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,391,750 times
I'm another who's done it both ways.... in all cases it was 2 people looking (wife and I, in one case my mother and I). My first house, which was shopping with my mother, the agent and she were long time acquaintances... just the nature of living in a small Wyoming town for several decades. He drove despite everyone knowing exactly where the homes were located.

Next time was shortly after relocating to a city with my wife, again the agent drove. We were all over the map (trying to hit a price point and wish list, didn't really care about location), made sense to ride together.

In both cases, the time spent between was used to review the printed listing info, reading the agents notes, talking about the prior house and how it missed (you stop looking when you find one, right?), etc.... I think we spent 3 or 4 days with the agent in the city (only an afternoon in my home town, there were only 6 houses in my price range and 3 were Instant fails due to 6' doors/ceilings ~ I'm 6'4").

The 3rd house was a year worth of looking, only calling the listing agent when we found something we wanted to go inside (rare, easy to drive-by and get a gut feeling about a place), happened upon a really nice local agent. He just handed us the keys to vacant houses and let us go on our own (another tiny town).

And the last/current house was a foreclosure, we met the listing agent at the property.

We did look at properties another time, flew into the area and the agent drove us around. And I've got to say I sorta expect that if I'm going to see multiple properties, that I simply ride with the agent. Guaranteed to NOT lose your clients at a stoplight/weird turn if they're in the car with you. No worries about finding parking together, odd shuffling of vehicles coming out of a single driveway, etc...

Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 PM

31,589 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The list of wants always changes as we go.

I become facebook and real-life friends with many of my clients. I don't put up barriers.
Yeah. What she said.

Yes, we have those conversations.
And, then we discuss further, and in more detail, and adjust to market realities after seeing a few homes.

There are always firm dealbreakers, of course.
But, particularly for relocating clients or first time buyers, much of the list is not engraved in stone.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 PM

29,917 posts, read 34,517,946 times
Quote:
Many may think they know what they want but until they get out and explore areas and see what they get for their money they start changing their criteria. BS to above stated they lie. They don't lie, they just don't know the market that well.

That's especially true if they are out of town people moving to a new area.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 PM

9,248 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many may think they know what they want but until they get out and explore areas and see what they get for their money they start changing their criteria. BS to above stated they lie. They don't lie, they just don't know the market that well.

That's especially true if they are out of town people moving to a new area.
Really? I'm the type of person who researches and prepares ahead of time. I know the areas, I know what I can get for my price range. I should be an easy client for a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or