U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:06 AM

31,603 posts, read 55,320,924 times

Advertisements

If I got murdered in my home, I wouldn't tell anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 PM

6,968 posts, read 5,191,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
it depends on the State, here in CT. the seller or in my case the owner/landlord; is not obligated to notify the buyer or renter about the history of the property. I should have googled the address but I was in a big hurry to find a good rental and as soon as I saw the gorgeous views this place had I was sold on it. Just completely forgot about doing a search. If I had I would have seen all the news stories including TV news stories about the arson-murder that had happened there. I didn't find out until I had been living there for about 2 months but as soon as I did then I knew why some strange things had happened.
See, the one case where it would bother me was if I was buying a former trap house, mainly because I wouldn't want the strange traffic coming around. But, those problems would be independent of a murder in a house. If no one was killed and the LL just booted everyone and sold the place, you would still have that. Its just a risk you take I suppose.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:21 PM

6,958 posts, read 18,535,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
So you would not have to disclose any death happened there. That's kind of odd because you should never have to disclose the reason for the death besides if it's a homicide or natural causes like hospice care at home. There are other causes such as suicide or accidental, but then they should only allow you to say, homicide, non homicide or natural.
No, you have to disclose any death EXCEPT for an AIDs related death.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:29 PM

11,824 posts, read 7,699,774 times
A lawyer recent told me he had to deal with a case where the buyer notices something strange going on in the house after 3-4 weeks buyer thinks there's a poltergeist in the house. He said it's a true story. Buyer wants to get out of the house because it wasn't disclosed during purchase. He doesn't know if it's confirmed that there was suicide on the property many years ago of the owner's children.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:45 PM

435 posts, read 464,252 times
Kind of where "due diligence" on the part of a buyer comes in. Same thing they need to do when looking up their proposed new neighborhood on the sex offender registry. Our state does not require murder disclosure. Try showing your own "murder" listing to a buyer and not disclosing. Very tricky situation. At some point, buyer need to take responsibility for what might be their largest purchase ever and do some research. Or do nothing and have the neighbors clue you in.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:12 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,747,172 times
I have had neighbors tell me many things about my house which set vacant for ten years before I bought it and another 5 before we moved in. it was condemned at one time. supposedly was a nursing home, thought I don't see how, and was told there was a murder here, also had some pentagones carved into two upstairs doors. Don't know how many of those things were true if any. I do know it was considered by neighbors to be a big old haunted house. But no ghosts here, I do ghost hunting so have the equipment for it and nothing here. It is actually a friendly house.
There is a market for haunted houses however.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM

1,167 posts, read 4,291,032 times
As mentioned in CA it is a requirement for 3 yrs. The house we bought had a death in it; it was disclosed. I believe the previous owner committed suicide. The house was fully repainted, flooring done/etc even though I am sure the death was not a bloody scene. We didn't care much, even my wife who is at times superstitious. I told her suicide is due to depression. One needs to seek care.

We have been here for quite a few years, no odd activities to report to my disappointment

Rules are crazy; I also help people do their advance directives and everyone prefers to die in the comfort of their own home, no knowing that it could be an inconvenience to their heirs. I think I shall ask to be at my in-laws...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or