U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 8,639,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"first time buyers"... "starter home" ... "competing with 25 offers" -- this sounds like a fixer-upper being publicly auctioned as a foreclosure (...or a wild exaggeration)

In any type of conventional sale (even in L.A.), more than 4-5 bids would sound alarms that the house was grossly under-priced.
Nope, in a hot market with no inventory this can happen, as a realtor I've seen over 50 offers in Toronto. Good for sellers, awful for buyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 PM

3,414 posts, read 1,971,871 times
Hmmm. It sure is starting to feel like 2007. Tick Tock.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...gBm?li=BBnbfcN

Old 04-12-2018, 02:35 PM

7,794 posts, read 6,149,667 times
completely different topic, but certainly one worth discussing. i think there's at least 1 "are mortgage standards getting too relaxed again" topic.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:21 PM

570 posts, read 223,242 times
I sold my townhome last June and had 22 offers in one day before we cut it off. All were at or above asking. We ended up getting highest and best from the top 3-4 offers and the appraisal contingency removed. Not sure what it actually appraised at because we never heard from the buyers. We had a few cash offers but we accepted a well qualified financed offer that put down a ton of due diligence (6K for a home listed at $185,000)

It was really crazy. The night before first showing we were in the process of having our carpet cleaned and the door was propped open for the carpet cleaning hose. We were waiting on the back patio and saw a group walk in the front door and start touring our townhome. They said they had confused their showing for the next day but we had our doubts because the house clearly was not ready with furniture moved around for the carpet cleaning.

I'm in NC.

Last edited by luckeeesmom; 04-12-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 PM

9,083 posts, read 5,421,093 times
The craziest I've seen in the San Francisco Bay Area was during the period of housing bust, believe it not. It was 2010 and there was a a double whammy of a federal and state tax rebate for anyone who bought a house; but there is a catch - the pool of rebate fund is limited and on a first come first serve basis. So buyers were rushing to close on homes and get a claim on the rebate before the overall fund runs out.

It created the mother of all buying frenzy. People were rushing to be homeowners as if houses were free. 20+ offers were common, heck some get more than 40. Every agent was advising his/her client to make offers on several houses at the same time. It was like applying for colleges - pick your reach schools, your safe schools, your solid choice schools; and just hope at least one college likes you back. It basically flooded the market with offers. My parents were trying to buy and they send out 5 offers one weekend, all got outbidded.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:06 PM

13,751 posts, read 31,608,375 times
I just had 21 offers on a property as a listing agent. The most I have competed against as a buyer agent was 17.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:02 PM

1,528 posts, read 730,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"first time buyers"... "starter home" ... "competing with 25 offers" -- this sounds like a fixer-upper being publicly auctioned as a foreclosure (...or a wild exaggeration)

In any type of conventional sale (even in L.A.), more than 4-5 bids would sound alarms that the house was grossly under-priced.
So what? Asking price is no indicator of anything. And certainly no indicator of an outcome. What is the point you're trying to make?

An agent can have a strategy to price high and try to drag buyers as close to that price as possible (e.g. some buyers think % off asking price is like a discount- pay below price and you're 'saving money') or price low and drive loads of competitive bids, therefore driving price up. There are both ends of that spectrum in my market.

One or the other may be more successful or not based on many factors, including the agent's own ability to succeed with their preferred strategy for any given home.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 PM

721 posts, read 356,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Family is competing for a home in southern California (first time buyers) and were told there were 25 offers on it. Having lived in LA, I understand the market there is crazy for entry level housing stock, but even so, this seems excessive.
Sounds like they underpriced the house.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM

1,578 posts, read 1,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Hmmm. It sure is starting to feel like 2007. Tick Tock.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...gBm?li=BBnbfcN
That was my first thought, too.

It sure does feel familiar!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:33 PM

5,515 posts, read 5,514,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Family is competing for a home in southern California (first time buyers) and were told there were 25 offers on it. Having lived in LA, I understand the market there is crazy for entry level housing stock, but even so, this seems excessive.

What is the most number of offers you have had as a seller, or had to compete with as a buyer, or dealt with as an agent?
I would walk away. That is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or