U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:30 AM

10,274 posts, read 6,510,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT356 View Post
He only said "that's asbestos tile" -- no test. I'd love for him to be wrong.

I get what you all are saying about it being in everything from that era. I'm just a first-time buyer with very young children and trying to gather as much info as I can before purchasing a home.
the previous owner should know and if they do, they would have to disclose it to you, I would ask the owners to pay for the inspector to test it. Unless the home is a steal or otherwise perfect I would look for something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Are you planning to grind the asbestos-containing tiles into dust, fling it into the air, and then breathe the clouds of asbestos dust on an ongoing basis, while simultaneously smoking?

If not, then it will not harm you.

There may also be lead based paint under the multiple coats of non-lead-based paint. The solution there is not to peel the paint off the walls and eat it.
That's not the point. The point is that it will hurt her in the future is she has to sell, not that it's dangerous by just being there, and if she does want to do remodeling it's an extra cost.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM

3,833 posts, read 2,058,876 times
If you are buying it intending to redo the basement ~anyway~ then it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker, no.

As asbestos goes, floor tile is a fairly easy one to mitigate and get rid of. It's contained within the tile, and doesn't get dusty. It's better than the loose fibrous insulation stuff we sometimes see. It's when asbestos is airborne that it's dangerous.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM

4,189 posts, read 1,558,100 times
Quote:
The inspector said he thought it should be removed if we remodel the area, which makes sense since there's a good chance someone would drill or nail into it. We would, of course, have the pros handle the removal.

If you have it professionally removed, do you need to disclose that it was ever there or does the professional removal negate having to disclose anything at a later date?
Once the material is removed it's gone. You could keep a receipt for the work in your property records but you probably don't need to disclose it.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:14 PM

977 posts, read 818,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's not the point. The point is that it will hurt her in the future is she has to sell, not that it's dangerous by just being there, and if she does want to do remodeling it's an extra cost.
Why would it hurt the seller in the future? You only disclose on what you are aware of.

The wife and I just bought a house that was built in 1946. We are in the process of replacing the carpet upstairs. There is tile under the carpet. Good chance the tile contains abestos. We are just going to recarpet over it.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Why would it hurt the seller in the future? You only disclose on what you are aware of.

The wife and I just bought a house that was built in 1946. We are in the process of replacing the carpet upstairs. There is tile under the carpet. Good chance the tile contains abestos. We are just going to recarpet over it.
If there seller in now told he has to disclose it. If this buyer buys the house and goes to sell it they have to disclose it, if it is in fact asbestos. Ir you don't know you don't have to disclose.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 4,697,320 times
Quote:
We found a nice '60s era home but during the home inspection it was discovered that there was asbestos tile under the basement flooring. The basement is finished (but very dated) so it's a space that we would use on daily basis. The inspector said that it should be removed if we plan on renovating the basement.

My question is: would asbestos tile be a deal-breaker for you or is this fairly common given the era that the house was built—and something people just deal with and move on?

We have no problem walking away from any deal, so this is really just a matter of will we feel safe in the house.
We had asbestos tiles in a bedroom under the carpet and around some pipes in the basement but didn't know about either until after we moved in. Called an abatement company and they took care of it both in 4 hours.

No big deal at all.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:52 PM

25,838 posts, read 49,741,556 times
The reality is it is important if it is important to you...

No reason to buy a home and be anxious about it... plenty of homes out there.

One of my friends passed up on a older home and V/A tile was one of the reasons... it was a great home in a good location.

She decided to buy new and little did she know she would be caught up with Chinese Drywall...

I look at things differently than most... a family home where generations have lived to ripe old ages and few ever move means more to me than the opinion of an inspector which I have often refuted.

Make no mistakes... inspection reports are a great way to beat up on a seller...

The last home I sold was 1949 and I did renovate and add... the buyers hired an inspection company and were dismayed the total comprehensive report had less than $300 in repair... and that included the sewer lateral, chimney and roof inspections...

The seismic code now required a second water heater strap and 1" of threshold was soft on the side garage door...

Home sold for $850k with multiple offers

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-13-2018 at 08:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 01:44 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,036,414 times
I'm curious. How does you inspector know what's underneath the flooring in the basement? Doe he/she have x-ray vision? If so, I'd love to get their contact information.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 1,750,196 times
If you want to go to the high expense of removing it, that is your business but there is nothing wrong with it being there, especially if it is already covered.
I grew up in a house almost exclusivily made of various asbestos, outside siding, asbestos tile floors a weird green wallboad that had asbestos and solid asbestos sheets behind each of the heating stoves. However none of that was ever airborne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or