Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:47 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times

Advertisements

I thought legally asbestos could not be identified with certainty visually. Either way, I'm surprised the inspector mentioned this (and put it in writing). Did you ask him to point out any possible asbestos? Some would probably say you'd be better off not knowing or at least not having it in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I thought legally asbestos could not be identified with certainty visually. Either way, I'm surprised the inspector mentioned this (and put it in writing). Did you ask him to point out any possible asbestos? Some would probably say you'd be better off not knowing or at least not having it in writing.
Or he could have said something like, "If you remodel, you need to have the tiles examined for asbestos." But to just tell the OP in writing that it is asbestos puts them in a bad position.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Are you planning to grind the asbestos-containing tiles into dust, fling it into the air, and then breathe the clouds of asbestos dust on an ongoing basis, while simultaneously smoking?

If not, then it will not harm you.

There may also be lead based paint under the multiple coats of non-lead-based paint. The solution there is not to peel the paint off the walls and eat it.
Considering the FACT that upsetting asbestos releases dust into the air you breath which has proven to causes cancer and there are a million warnings out there regarding this, I would have to say your comment is just out of ignorance. Also the fact I just had the tiles from 2 bedrooms and a dining room removed and it cost me over $4,000 says a lot regarding the decision to purchase a home. These are things you have to negotiate with the sellers...

Old 07-20-2020, 11:36 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it is good to know it's there so if you rip the floors up, you know to be careful handling it. That's the only time you need worry about it.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:08 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley09 View Post
Considering the FACT that upsetting asbestos releases dust into the air you breath which has proven to causes cancer and there are a million warnings out there regarding this, I would have to say your comment is just out of ignorance. Also the fact I just had the tiles from 2 bedrooms and a dining room removed and it cost me over $4,000 says a lot regarding the decision to purchase a home. These are things you have to negotiate with the sellers...

Well, how about considering the FACT that the vast majority of people who suffer from asbestos exposure are workers who were exposed to large amounts of the stuff for years on end, and that the vast majority of them were heavy smokers?

There is simply no comparison between the risk of a pipefitter working with asbestos every day for years with no protective equipment and smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, and the risk of a homeowner whose property has asbestos, all covered up, who knows where it is and that breathing the dust generated if it's ground up is hazardous, and who leaves it alone or hires professionals if and when (and only if and when) disturbing it becomes necessary.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:28 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Do not go to Home Depot for a re-carpet proposal as they are famous for requiring customers to spend $3500 removing the asbestos tiles so H-D can install their $3500 of carpet where the tiles used to be.

Truthfully, your family will/may be at greater risk of exposure by removing the tiles than by just leaving them alone.
I know this is an old thread and an old post but it brought back memories of when DH and I got a quote from HD for putting ceramic tiles over vinyl tiles in 2 small bathrooms. They gave us the quote over the phone and added almost as an afterthought that since the house was built in 1985 the current tile MIGHT contain asbestos and if so, would have to be removed and remediated. DH went to sign the papers and came home looking like he'd been though a war. He'd sat there while they went through the usual BS of poking it all into the computer, running into issues, calling over another employee, etc. He even applied for their credit card to get the discount. THEN they said that the tile would have to be tested at our expense. No, they could not recommend a testing company. And of course if it had asbestos they wouldn't touch it till it was properly removed and remediated,

I did a lot of research and concluded that, while the tile my Dad put into our basement in the family home in the 1950s might have contained asbestos , it was unlikely that the tile in my current house did, and even then it was OK to cover it up. I did the tiling job myself. Problem solved, money saved.

They did approve us for the credit card. We sent it back and closed the account.

Last edited by athena53; 07-21-2020 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-21-2020, 07:20 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,469 times
Quote:
Hysterical overstatements of the risks like this are the reason your removal job cost $4000.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
The actual fact is that asbestos causes disease when someone breathes dense clouds of it with no mask or other protections for a decade or longer. Also all of the victims were heavy smokers or lived with heavy smokers. Looking at, walking on or under or living with a little asbestos has not been shown to harm anyone. It is like getting freaked out over a little arsenic. arsenic is everywhere. Yes it is poisonous on large quantities,e specially over time, but the presence of a little bit is not a big deal. It is everywhere. You probably breathed in a little bit today.

As people have said, it is usually best to leave undisturbed. We had some really pretty tiles in one house that we jsut clear coated. They were fine. Start tearing it up or worse grinding it out and you stir up dust that can be dangerous in huge quantities over time.

If you feel you have to remove it, you can remove it yourself if you want to. If you are worried, just wear a mask, you probably have one already. If you are really nervous, wear an N95 mask. If you really want to overkill you could wear one of those paper painters outfits and throw it out after removing the tile. You should be wearing goggle anyway.

I removed asbestos form several homes. One home had quite a lot of it. I called the city to see what I could do with it. Can I put it in the trash? "No not since you told me that you know it is asbestos. if you di dnto know, no one would ever fault you for tossing it in the trash." "Well then, do I need to find a special dumpsite?" "Not really. It is inert, there is nothing wrong with digging a hole in your backyard and burying it"

We had a house that has asbestos siding on the kitchen. the kitchen had to be torn down. We paid extra for removal and disposal of the asbestos tile. When they removed it, all they did was tear the entire thing down with a backhoe and put all the debris into dumpsters. They did not sort it or treat it specially. All the debris remained mixed together and went to the same dumpsite. However the operator had to wear a mask and have an asbestos license/training, so I had to pay an extra $400.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:26 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,193,739 times
If i had children i would look for a newer home. Just my opinion. I have severe asthma so i will not buy a house with asbestos, mold, etc. if you absolutely want this home then remodel remove asbestos before moving in

Old 07-21-2020, 05:07 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
If i had children i would look for a newer home. Just my opinion. I have severe asthma so i will not buy a house with asbestos, mold, etc. if you absolutely want this home then remodel remove asbestos before moving in
I would expect my children not to take my angle grinder out of the workshop and grind on the kitchen floor, myself.

You know, asbestos fibers don't just hang there in the till they find a victim and then swoop into their mouths and noses like mosquitoes or something. And undisturbed asbestos will have NO effect on asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate