U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 AM

5,240 posts, read 1,570,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
So do you also not tip your server based on the amount of the bill when you go to a sit-down restaurant?

Same principle.
But is it actually though? We're talking about a meal that is less than $100, not some million dollar transaction, and the payment is calculated by the customer, not by a contract. So from a purely commercial perspective these two things could not be more dissimilar.

Surely you can see that there is already a vast disparity in the rates of commission simply because of the magnitude of the transaction at hand.

Also one involves a petty service delivered in a short period of time but the other is a collection of also largely petty services but performed over a longer period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 AM

31,647 posts, read 55,388,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As someone who recently bought a home, I was very surprised to find that all this signing business can be done via DocuSign. That's so much more efficient than the old-school way.

BTW, DocuSign is going public soon. This is big business and it's growing quickly.

Hopefully, this practice of "hiring" an agent will soon be an antiquated business practice catering only to a niche market, like carburetor mechanics and farriers.
I have been using DocuSign for 10 years. Good stuff.
I did not know they were going public. Not good. "Going public" tends to diminish too may service businesses.
Too many lose focus on the clientele and evolve to serve the shareholders' demands for ever increasing top and bottom line at any cost.
ZipForm is another tool that used to be efficient, and is in the process of being destroyed in search of increased revenue but a newly terrible interface.
Zillow owns Dotloop, a digital transaction platform which puts them in the position of potential access to and collection of personal information. Yuck.

Carburetor mechanics and farriers haven't all but disappeared because there is no need for transportation.
I don't foresee any time soon that DocuSign will be crawling into a crawlspace to tell my clients that it is wet and moldy before they invest thousands of nonrefundable dollars in getting a contract via digital signatures.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
But is it actually though? We're talking about a meal that is less than $100, not some million dollar transaction, and the payment is calculated by the customer, not by a contract. So from a purely commercial perspective these two things could not be more dissimilar.

Surely you can see that there is already a vast disparity in the rates of commission simply because of the magnitude of the transaction at hand.

Also one involves a petty service delivered in a short period of time but the other is a collection of also largely petty services but performed over a longer period of time.
Did you read the response below?
Why do you prefer to pay commission-model agents when there are alternatives available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There really isn't a cartel and you can already hire agents that charge hourly rates to sell homes. ...

Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,981,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Carburetor mechanics and farriers haven't all but disappeared because there is no need for transportation.
I don't foresee any time soon that DocuSign will be crawling into a crawlspace to tell my clients that it is wet and moldy before they invest thousands of nonrefundable dollars in getting a contract via digital signatures.
I'm not talking about DocuSign replacing real estate agents. I'm talking about Zillow and other emerging electronic technologies diminishing the place of the real estate agent.

Mike, there are WONDERFUL real estate agents in the business, but I have encountered too many that are utterly incompetent and/or crooked, and they're making a real mess of things.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about DocuSign replacing real estate agents. I'm talking about Zillow and other emerging electronic technologies diminishing the place of the real estate agent.

Mike, there are WONDERFUL real estate agents in the business, but I have encountered too many that are utterly incompetent and/or crooked, and they're making a real mess of things.
Well, now...
Z actually works hard to make a good agent more important, and more valuable.
With their incredible sloppiness and misleading data, that even supercedes the fecklessness of MLS input by inept agents with inbred training from other inept agents, Z puts good agents in the position of being the expert now even more than ever.

When you say "incompetent and/or crooked," I hope you are not excluding the "weird and detached."

Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 AM

3,840 posts, read 2,061,340 times
Quote:
Z actually works hard to make a good agent more important, and more valuable. With their incredible sloppiness and misleading data, that even supercedes the fecklessness of MLS input by inept agents with inbred training from other inept agents, Z puts good agents in the position of being the expert now even more than ever.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM

16 posts, read 5,908 times
Zillow is despised by old realtors... and embraced by new ones.

I spoke to a realtor here in San Antonio (while I was in South Florida). I gave him some of my personal requirements (good school district, basic size of home, etc...) and he told me some areas I could look. He then suggested I head onto Zillow and look in THOSE areas (that he stated) for homes that are for sale, in order to get an idea of what neighborhoods I might be more interested in. He told me there are some homes that are for sale that aren't actually on Zillow. He said to send me 10 homes I found on Zillow that I would like, and he would get some more together for when I came down there.

When I came down, we looked at a couple of the Zillow homes, and some of the homes he had found.

Ultimately, I was looking for the dumpiest house in the nicest neighborhood (a fixer-upper), and he helped me find that.

In short, a good realtor knows how to use Zillow as an additional tool in the tool box.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:07 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,730,228 times
Quote:
Well, now...
Z actually works hard to make a good agent more important, and more valuable.

More valuable to whom?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
More valuable to whom?
To consumers, lenders, other agents, closing attorneys.
Anyone who depends on integrity, accuracy, good faith, ethics, and effort.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 AM

11,832 posts, read 7,714,980 times
Quote:
As someone who recently bought a home, I was very surprised to find that all this signing business can be done via DocuSign. That's so much more efficient than the old-school way.

BTW, DocuSign is going public soon. This is big business and it's growing quickly.

Hopefully, this practice of "hiring" an agent will soon be an antiquated business practice catering only to a niche market, like carburetor mechanics and farriers.
I don't think it would change too much even with car buying almost digital now you still need sales people to push the sale or negotiate. Most people don't really understand true value of a home, they only look at location, transportation, and schools. Those are the basics but you also need to look at home construction and age. If most people buy with just those factors then a lot of homes would go unsold unless a sales agent could show them and explain to them what the advantages and disadvantages of some of the homes. Most agents I dealt with said majority of buyers do not know anything about fixing or maintaining homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or