U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:48 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times

Advertisements

Yup; looked at a historic house recently that was bought for 8K and they were asking 99.9K. They slapped on vinyl siding and replaced the original windows (both bad for a historic home). The best part is there is NO bathroom. Zip, nada. But it does "overlook" a pond - big whoop. They have since dropped the price to 60K, but it's still too high for me, as I'd have to reverse the "upgrades" and add septic if it's even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yup; looked at a historic house recently that was bought for 8K and they were asking 99.9K. They slapped on vinyl siding and replaced the original windows (both bad for a historic home). The best part is there is NO bathroom. Zip, nada. But it does "overlook" a pond - big whoop. They have since dropped the price to 60K, but it's still too high for me, as I'd have to reverse the "upgrades" and add septic if it's even possible.
I never heard of a home with no bathroom. That is a silly flip, why would anyone buy a home without a bathroom. I guess they didn't bother to get permits for the window or they may have had to replace them to certain standards. A contractor/realtor told me that if you put in an ad that you have new windows and didn't get a permit and do them correctly such as no egress windows in the bedrooms you can force the owner to pay for new permitted windows after you enter into a contract.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM

170 posts, read 68,223 times
I recently toured a house a looky loo on a Sunday. I was walking past and had noticed it was being worked on for awhile and was finally open for sale. It was clearly a flip of a small starter home.

When I went in, it was pure HGTV. Open plan with original walls removed. Furnished from Wayfair. Kitchen with fancy backsplash, white cabinets, brass handles. Transitional light fixtures. Penny tile in the bathroom and fancy vanity with marble top.

Then I went into the basement. The "finished" basement. Immediately the floor was squishy. If you looked at the baseboards, the floor was so uneven it was wavy. The flooring was vinyl tile that looked like wood.

Puzzled, I asked the agent what was up with the floor in the basement. He said that the flippers had just laid down vinyl on the original dirt floor. I could not believe it. They didn't even bother to even it out so it was level.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:09 PM

494 posts, read 333,284 times
I looked at the pictures of a flip house this morning. It looked like a flip, so I went to Zillow to see the last sales price. Zillow hadn't updated yet, so the old picture from the last sale were still there. It looked better before and was more functional. They had added a peninsula to the kitchen, which I am not against, but they put the dishwasher in the peninsula at a right angle from the sink. You couldn't stand at the sink and load the dishwasher. Actually you couldn't access anything or put dishes away with the dishwasher open. Bizarre and they wanted 100K more for the house.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingthebricks View Post
Puzzled, I asked the agent what was up with the floor in the basement. He said that the flippers had just laid down vinyl on the original dirt floor. I could not believe it. They didn't even bother to even it out so it was level.
That's crazy. One time I saw a house and it was okay but whatever they used under the wood laminate floor sounded like bubble wrap popping with every step you took.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I never heard of a home with no bathroom. That is a silly flip, why would anyone buy a home without a bathroom. I guess they didn't bother to get permits for the window or they may have had to replace them to certain standards. A contractor/realtor told me that if you put in an ad that you have new windows and didn't get a permit and do them correctly such as no egress windows in the bedrooms you can force the owner to pay for new permitted windows after you enter into a contract.
No, it's out in the country in a county that doesn't care. You can do pretty much whatever you want, no permits required. The interior is still pretty bad, which makes it all the more a bad flip.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 PM

917 posts, read 402,421 times
Oh so many. Most flips are bad. The ones that donít look bad are not obviously flipped, they just look like lovely, remodeled homes.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:26 PM

1,931 posts, read 1,158,804 times
I've seen pictures of ones in which it seemed the fixer-upper person grabbed up whatever flooring, counters, paint were on a deep discount sale. Everything was 'new and improved!' but didn't match at all and looked horrible.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:02 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
We did! Electrical wiring everywhere, bad paint job, new roof put on top of the old one and looked bad. Awfully painted cabinets.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 854,703 times
Where I live, flippers are buying up modest little cottages from the 40's and 50's and tearing out interior walls to make it "open concept" so you have a row of cabinets running along one wall of your living room in place of what was probably a cozy eat-in kitchen. Ugh. Is that really what everyone wants now?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...rect/9_zm/4_p/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...rect/9_zm/4_p/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate