U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:42 PM

1,528 posts, read 724,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Except the mortgage lender is using it as my tax document, not a copy. They've rejected my taxes because they were signed with a pin, and are going to use the newly signed copy in my file as my actual proof of taxes.

I understand what you're saying, that I'm not changing my income, yadda yadda, so maybe I'm being difficult. :-(

I was the one who first raised the possibility of signing it with a statement such as verifying that it's a true copy of your taxes. This makes the purpose of your signature different and more appropriate to what you're doing. However, the downside is that they may not accept this. As someone has said, this is all about process. Someone in the back might see it next to their requirement - "signed copy of taxes". They look at it and say "huhh, never saw this before. Hey Mary, is this signed taxes?" "Uhh, I don't know. They're saying something about a copy of taxes but it looks like they never signed their taxes. Just send it to legal to check. I'm not losing my job over this" Story goes rapidly downhill from there.

Although it's a stupid process that has not kept up with the times, sometimes you need to just go along. I don't see any real risk in doing this (but i'm not giving advice - just a personal lay man's view). Without risk, it's just standing on principle and unfortunately you'll be the one who will lose that battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:47 PM

2,921 posts, read 771,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Signing a document is not altering a document.
The thread tittle is very misleading. I read it and got angered just by the thought that a Mortgage bank was telling someone to alter a tax doc. Then I realized when I read the thread that isn't the case. The OP is simply being asked to sign their tax return. It has nothing to do with altering it. There is a space for name, date and pin number. The bank required a signed 1040 on file. this is such a nonissue. If the OP is that put off by it than by all means walk away from the deal and find a new lender. No one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 PM

6,117 posts, read 3,055,610 times
If you are not changing the numbers that were as filed, then signing a paper copy is fine. Personally I would stamp copy on it. Sometimes the lenders have to acquiesce to the underwriters who are still stuck in the paper world.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:14 PM

7,961 posts, read 6,710,786 times
I do not see how this as altering. Wrong use of the word. I see it as simply a re-verification. Stop anguishing. Sign it.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
You will be asked to sign or initial many things that you have signed before as part of this process. You'll sign them again. You're signing that it is yours and it's true.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,114,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
The OP has a legitimate question. I would never call a consumer 'paranoid' just for asking a question about something that concerned them. Or for being uncomfortable with something that she probably has never done before. Reread her post. She's not comfortable with it. That's all. And now she's paranoid? What kind of licensed real estate agent are you posting here in your professional capacity, under your own name, and calling a consumer paranoid for being uncomfortable with something she's encountering in her real estate transaction.

No wonder your profession has so much negative perception!
what was asked was a Mortgage question. We don't even know if it was a purchase mortgage or refi.

In fact, the OP also posted it in the Mortgage subforum where it truly belonged. Yes, it got more replies here, but at the heart, she got the same advice there. And then, 9 hours of the world's life later - she was told it was immaterial.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 PM

7,598 posts, read 17,618,792 times
We need to present a crash course what is actually fraud.

Signing your tax return for the lender is considered you are certifying those are the returns you filed. If a lender commited real fraud, like dummied up your tax returns, you wouldn't sign them because it wasn't factual.

On the flip side, if you signed a copy of your tax return it's awfully hard to deny you were unaware what was on the return.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,163,727 times
If the OP "signed" with a PIN, she filed electronically, which means the IRS just got a data file in a standardized format. They did not get anything that looked like a 1040 form.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM

818 posts, read 484,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Thanks everyone. I just got notified by the lender that they decided to accept my Tax Transcripts from the IRS and won't make me sign the 1040. It's now a non-issue. Appreciate the advice here though.
Yeah, because some fool at your lender didn't understand the purpose and scope of the IRS Form 4506-T, which is the IRS transcript request, which is what the IRS uses as an authorization to send tax data to a third party at the taxpayer's request. And the lender is probably the one who sent you the form and told you to fill it out.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:03 AM

1,528 posts, read 724,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
what was asked was a Mortgage question. We don't even know if it was a purchase mortgage or refi.

In fact, the OP also posted it in the Mortgage subforum where it truly belonged. Yes, it got more replies here, but at the heart, she got the same advice there. And then, 9 hours of the world's life later - she was told it was immaterial.
Why does any of this matter? Sounds like lousy excuses for a real estate professional to be calling a consumer paranoid for asking a simple question. Are you trying to say itís ok because youíre not a mortgage advisor? Or trying to say that if itís a refi, itís ok? Highly unprofessional no matter the specific context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or