Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

Start looking for another place to buy. Let the seller stress about the expiration date. And let the counter expire. I’m betting the seller is playing dare with you. His agent should be addressing the deadline, not you. Doing a deal with jerks ain’t for sissies and you just have to be prepared to walk. I’ve twice got up from a closing and left. — once they called me back and conceded and once the deal fell through right there at closing. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha33 View Post
I have been looking for a house for several months. I found a property that I thought was exactly what I needed for my family circumstances. I put an offer on the property, offering full price. this property has been on the market without any interest for over 45 days.
The seller rejected the offer because they said they did not want to pay capital gains. (I have no connection to them paying capital gains or not). Then they also said that they did not want to accept the offer because they did not like my mortgage program that I was going through because they had a bad experience with this program with someone else who backed out of the deal without them getting the earnest money.

So I moved on. I started looking at other properties and found another property that was also meeting my families' needs. I was just about ready to put an offer on that house when the previous sellers agent got in contact with my agent and asked me to resubmit my offer. I thought... hmmm ok sure. I let the other property go without placing an offer and resubmitted the offer- again offering full asking price. The seller then rejects the offer and counters that I pay a specific amount per day if the deal is extended past the closing date. Strange.. but okay I don't see any reason for any extensions happening so fine.
The inspection takes places and there are several issues but most things are stuff that I can deal with. I do ask that the leak in the bathroom (shower leaking into the flooring) and the seals on the toilets are fixed. I asked for about a handful of things to be taken care of. The house was not being sold "as is" and all I was asking was to fix these issues. The seller rejected it - they countered with doing some very minor repairs. I am unable to get an estimate on how much the repairs will cost. The real estate agent said they were going to talk with their client- but then we did not hear anything further from them or the seller. The deadline was fast approaching. The agent had not replied to texts, voice mails or emails. It feels like the sellers are being manipulative. I don't want a money pit- all I want is for them to take care of the plumbing issues. There were 89 issues on the inspection report- I only asked for a few taken care of.

I don't get this. I have bought and sold 3 other houses in my life and never had these kinds of problems. So now I am faced with walking away from the deal- this means starting again - there are lots of issues around that since a lot of things were relying on the closing date happening as planned. How do I deal with these people? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Some people don't like to compromise. Some people love to haggle. Some people need to have several buyers walk away before they decide to be reasonable. Some people are in a divorce and angry.

There are many reasons that sellers can be difficult. You just have to decide if the house is worth it to you, otherwise walk away.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:35 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha33 View Post

I don't get this. I have bought and sold 3 other houses in my life and never had these kinds of problems. So now I am faced with walking away from the deal- this means starting again - there are lots of issues around that since a lot of things were relying on the closing date happening as planned. How do I deal with these people? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

I would never have gone back to this turkey the second time.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

I would never have gone back to this turkey the second time.

and
shame on me for putting up with you . Ditto I vote walk away too many houses on the market to diddle with people indeed .

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would predict that if the shower has been allowed to leak through the floor that this unmaintained house could easily present 89 issues that should be noted in any inspection protocol.

I agree! And if that's the case there could also be more issues behind the walls that the inspector couldn't see. Plus, these people are ridiculous!

I'd walk!

Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
This was a one-time post from a newbie that hasn't come back............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate