U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM

395 posts, read 117,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Why don't you wait to see whether prospective buyers want them? If they are in like-new condition, I would pay extra for them, for example whatever they would sell for if they were on sale currently. It makes life easier when moving in to have storage already in place.

Actually, he is correct. You may not get full value, but I could see the appeal for storage immediately so they could get the place organized. Id pay a little bit for a place to stow stuff til I got situated. Didnt think about brand new moving in aspect and unpacking. It could go 50/50. Its not like you couldn't take them with you pretty easily and sell them afterwards if no one wanted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 06:07 PM

58 posts, read 24,864 times
Yes, but not unlikely to add more than cost to install new ones.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 PM

19,047 posts, read 10,073,270 times
If I walked into that garage as a buyer, I'd say, oh nice, that's some good storage. I would not pay a specific dollar amount more because of them but it would be a feature that I'd see as a checkmark on the "pros" side of the list. If you listed them as an exclusion, I might think oh, that's too bad, they would have been convenient.

However, if you listed them as an exclusion, but then tried to sell them to me separately, I'd feel like you were playing games and I'd be irritated. I'm not saying I'd walk away from a deal over just that, but it would leave a bad taste in my mouth and I might be less likely to compromise on something else.

Either remove them now by selling them separately before you list the place and take photos, or just leave them in the garage and be done with it.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 PM

260 posts, read 1,879,363 times
These currently retail for $1,800 for the four cabinets. I’ll see if I can get a cash sale for $1,000 prior to listing with the house. I think it’s a good deal since they are basicay new, but I have to find the right buyer who understands their value... not always easy on Craigslist. We’ll see what the market bears. That said, these are wall mounted and I don’t want to unscrew them until I have a definite buyer — I don’t want loose cabinets cluttering the garage.

I think if I leave them in with the house sale, it might make for a quicker sale for the person these appea to, but unlikely to add value to sale price of house.

I’m not taking them with me regardless — doing a cross country move and new home yet to be determined.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:57 PM

1,521 posts, read 569,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
These currently retail for $1,800 for the four cabinets. Iíll see if I can get a cash sale for $1,000 prior to listing with the house. I think itís a good deal since they are basicay new, but I have to find the right buyer who understands their value... not always easy on Craigslist. Weíll see what the market bears. That said, these are wall mounted and I donít want to unscrew them until I have a definite buyer ó I donít want loose cabinets cluttering the garage.

I think if I leave them in with the house sale, it might make for a quicker sale for the person these appea to, but unlikely to add value to sale price of house.

Iím not taking them with me regardless ó doing a cross country move and new home yet to be determined.
Try Nextdoor too. One of your neighbors out there wants a garage that looks like FreedomPenguinís theyíve been trying to sell the wife on the 2 gís For a while.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:03 PM

21,014 posts, read 25,817,479 times
If they are mounted to the wall, once you list, they should stay. If you want to unfastened them from the wall, do it before you list.

As long as they aren't restricting what car will fit into the garage, they make the house more desirable. More desirable means a faster sale. A faster sale is worth money.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:10 PM

3,328 posts, read 3,268,288 times
I wouldn't pay more for the house or buy the house solely because of garage cabinets. But I would be put off if they were excluded, especially since they're fixed to the walls!

If you can get a good amount of money for them, better to sell them first, and make sure the wall in the garage is repaired, before you ever put house on the market.

Seems petty to me. What's next, stripping out the light fixtures and replacing them with the cheapest you can find?

I recall when we bought a grandma just died house that had expensive custom drapes. We didn't want them - we like windows for the light they let in, not as stages for heavy multitiered drapes - but we knew what was going on when they were excluded from the sale. The grandson realized that he could sell them for a little money. We didn't care because the house was such a good deal, but it was a cheap thing to do.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:52 PM

260 posts, read 1,879,363 times
I think it’s best policy that if you want a fixture (something attached to the wall) then take it down before you list the house. So yes, I would not exclude them if they are there when house lists. I think washer/dryer, fridge and a wall mounted TV are a different story.

Going to try to sell for cash first

Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 AM

3,568 posts, read 2,004,172 times
Agreed if they are an inclusion with the property I would add that as a +1 for features/benefits of the House but i wouldn’t pay more. Really the intrinsic value of the home is what I base price off of. The things I would pay more for are an inground pool, backyard built in grilling area with a pavilion/pergola, and upgraded hvac/windows/solar.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:12 PM

1,699 posts, read 670,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Prepping the house for sale and I have these four sturdy cabinets along the back walll of our two car garage. The cabinets are only a couple years old and in like-new, great shape. Trying to decide if I should leave them or sell them off for cash. I wonít be taking them for myself. Do you see such cabinets adding value ó monetary or otherwise ó when the house is put up for sale (assuming I clean up the garage as welll ? Or might selling them off reap more by finding the person who likes this exact style of cabinets? They are not custom, built in cabinets which might bring more value. And taking them out might make the garage feel bigger.

Curious to hear thoughts.
Sell them outright. Buyers arenít going to pay extra for them but might want them included in the sale. No sense giving them away. My house came with regular old kitchen cabinets mounted in my garage and I hate those things. Give me what you have any day so I can organize my garage the way I want to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or