U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2018, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Reputation: 30150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
I understand and didn't think you were pestering at all. Your point about "client" or "customer" is interesting. I would say at this point in time, I feel like a customer. This agent may not be the right fit for me as well.

Any tips on how to vet an agent? Referrals from other people, search engine site's, etc....?
It really is about personal fit with the agent involved.
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...g-realtor.html

And, I really like "branching questions," that prompt the agent to get off script and think.
"Tell me about some of your most challenging transactions. Successes and failures."
"What part of the contract form do you find helps create friction in a transaction? How?"
"What is likely to make you impatient with a client?"

That lets you watch their expressions and guess how straightforward they are in unscripted conversation.

The following is pertinent to NC where I work, but contains commonality to agency in many states:

I think we can claim to "work with" people and not be in one specific role.
I can "work with" an unrepresented buyer on my listing, in subagency to a listing agent (if the listing agent is dumb enough to allow that), in dual agency, in designated dual agency, of just illegally if I say, "I'm not going to bother you with all that paperwork some agents do."

An oldie from the archives, but Point #1 still rings true:
"We SELL to customers. We SERVICE clients."
.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKBQDXAUQQ

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 04-26-2018 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 AM
 
595 posts, read 376,554 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It really is about personal fit with the agent involved.
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...g-realtor.html

And, I really like "branching questions," that prompt the agent to get off script and think.
"Tell me about some of your most challenging transactions. Successes and failures."
"What part of the contract form do you find helps create friction in a transaction? How?"
"What is likely to make you impatient with a client?"

That lets you watch their expressions and guess how straightforward they are in unscripted conversation.

The following is pertinent to NC where I work, but contains commonality to agency in many states:

I think we can claim to "work with" people and not be in one specific role.
I can "work with" an unrepresented buyer on my listing, in subagency to a listing agent (if the listing agent is dumb enough to allow that), in dual agency, in designated dual agency, of just illegally if I say, "I'm not going to bother you with all that paperwork some agents do."

An oldie from the archives, but Point #1 still rings true:
"We SELL to customers. We SERVICE clients."
.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIKBQDXAUQQ
Excellent advise and video link. Thank you very much, couldn't rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 09:14 AM
 
820 posts, read 275,250 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
actually, that would be playing a game. listing it $8K above your expected price is no better than 5K below the last sale.
Yup, that is correct.
Because all buying and selling is a 'game'.
So is politics and war.

In fact, most human interactions have elements of gamesmanship, in the purest sense, whether we like it or not.

> photogal9 (OP): Read up on Game Theory and you will understand the dynamics of human 'games' much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
582 posts, read 184,626 times
Reputation: 747
I did not read the entire 9 pages of this.....

EMOTION sells.... So you KNOW that you are going to get more than your asking, if you did your research, you KNOW what the appraised value is where the buyer can get the mortgage.....So you start 25-30% low on the listing, knowing that you are probably going to get at least 10 percent more than what you would have asked for in a cool market..... My stepson just got sucked in, bought more house for more money than what they need...... only a month in and I hear about the fights, we witnessed one....well, overheard it, we were in the basement....she was already on the stairs I said "we aren't going up there"..... Anyway, my point is that you almost NEVER, have to buy that house at that price..... or that shiny red sports car.... or in my case, that shiny new shotgun.... EMOTION sells.....Look at the car advertising, whether on TV or radio,,,,,ESPECIALLY on radio..On Saturday....all EMOTION based selling to try and suck you into the dealership. I tell you, the best truck deal I ever made, I contacted the internet sales manager, and he quoted me a price. Then he assigned me a salesman. Salesmen took off a few grand more. Then he brought me onto the lot to see "the truck". It was BURIED in the lot. Would have taken their entire staff to key vehicles and make room for me to test drive it. He says "want to test drive it?". I gave him a cold stare. I said I came in here with a 6 year old truck with 175,000 miles on it. Of course this one is going to (F bomb) drive better. No EMOTION.... "Let's go talk". Totally knocked him off his "game". This was 2009 when the "cash for clunkers" was going on. I expected the $3,500 standard trade in....6 yo truck with 175,000 miles on it.....Got $5,500 trade.... I did the hem and haw, ugh, all of it...pulled out my calculator.... *****.....write it up.... called him the next day. said I don't really like those tires....how much for a tire upgrade....Like $300 or $350....I said Do it....he calls me back the day I was supposed to take delivery....."we have a problem"...crap...the detail guys found 3 chips on the paint on the hood, you have to come down and take a look. Mind you, dealer wasn't just around the corner....I go down, it's raining of course, and I look at the 3 chips.....He says, I can pull the truck into the body shop, sand down the hood and have it repainted....but it will take a week. Take it today, as is, I'll give you the tire upgrade for free. I hemmed and hawed, and ugh or two, looked at the chips and thought "I'll put more chips into this hood on my way back to work, let alone when I go to the WMA to train my dog next week....Deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 12:59 PM
 
595 posts, read 376,554 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I did not read the entire 9 pages of this.....

I did the hem and haw, ugh, all of it...pulled out my calculator.... *****
JimG,

I have done that as well, the ole calculator calculations while sitting in the financing dept of a dealership, they lose their minds when someone does that.

p.s. I also enjoy my shiny new 410 pump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 01:17 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
582 posts, read 184,626 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
JimG,

I have done that as well, the ole calculator calculations while sitting in the financing dept of a dealership, they lose their minds when someone does that.

p.s. I also enjoy my shiny new 410 pump
Browning? they even making a BPS 410 now? Ithaca? my short statured buddy bought an Ithaca 20 ga I think last year. he had to bring it down to the gunsmith and get it cut down.....I'm 6ft 3 and looking for spacers.

Want me that Browning Maxus Wicked Wing.....3.5 inch of course even though I never shoot that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 01:20 PM
 
Location: New Britain, CT
582 posts, read 184,626 times
Reputation: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogal9 View Post
JimG,

I have done that as well, the ole calculator calculations while sitting in the financing dept of a dealership, they lose their minds when someone does that.

p.s. I also enjoy my shiny new 410 pump
Now, you aren't one of those who shoot the 410 pump on the skeet field and average 24.5 are you? I struggle to maintain 20 with my 12 gauge. and I get looks, because its my black plastic stocked duck gun. and I'm hanging with the guys shooting their fancy Citori's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 01:59 PM
 
595 posts, read 376,554 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Now, you aren't one of those who shoot the 410 pump on the skeet field and average 24.5 are you? I struggle to maintain 20 with my 12 gauge. and I get looks, because its my black plastic stocked duck gun. and I'm hanging with the guys shooting their fancy Citori's

I wish! It's a Mossberg 410 home defense. I'd never want to shoot anyone or any animal, but I'm all for given a "far warning" pump. I've got a Taurus Slim Sub 9mm, I do prefer long guns. Had a lot of fun shooting targets with a 30-06, too. Gotta respect the piece and practice good safety measures (goes without sayin').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 09:54 AM
 
Location: California
4,445 posts, read 5,169,495 times
Reputation: 9180
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Exactly. There are always a few pros who lament that buyers like you and I get a bad taste in our mouths when these tactics are used. We are all supposed to just go along for the sake of their commission and all kinds of arguments are made about how walking away when the deck is clearly stacked a particular way is nonsensical. But many buyers are on to this, and many choose their agent carefully based on their low propensity for shenanigans. I guarantee that some of the frequent flyers on this board would run screaming if I was their buyer. And that is okay. I know what my boundaries are, what I am interested in, and what I am willing to do for it. I value an agent who respects that. Not all do. As you say, not all are a good fit.

I understand that each market is different and what works in a Peoria may not fly in Seattle. But greed is the same all over. It only takes getting burned once to learn how to navigate as a buyer. Sometimes its an expensive lesson.
Great Post!

Oh yes, our first commissioned sales person taught me lessons I will remember for the rest of life so I share those lessons as often as I can here and with others.

Anyone who does engage with one of those people needs to hold Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in the back of their mind and watch how they try to appeal to basic human needs instead of acting on your behalf. Most marketing people are trained in marketing techniques that a young person may not know about, or yet have the ability to defend themselves against. Although I don't like to pay for a lawyer, at the end of the day, it is cheaper than having no representation - wanna be lawyers with only a few hours of education do not compare and will be expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 11:43 AM
 
595 posts, read 376,554 times
Reputation: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Great Post!

Oh yes, our first commissioned sales person taught me lessons I will remember for the rest of life so I share those lessons as often as I can here and with others.

Anyone who does engage with one of those people needs to hold Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in the back of their mind and watch how they try to appeal to basic human needs instead of acting on your behalf. Most marketing people are trained in marketing techniques that a young person may not know about, or yet have the ability to defend themselves against. Although I don't like to pay for a lawyer, at the end of the day, it is cheaper than having no representation - wanna be lawyers with only a few hours of education do not compare and will be expensive.

"But behavior in the human being is sometimes a defense, a way of concealing motives and thoughts, as language can be a way of hiding your thoughts and preventing communication" Abraham Maslow

The agent that showed me the property that started this post, showed me 1 other one Wednesday. He brought up the other property as said "We got 12 offer's on that unit."

I looked at him and retorted, "it was priced too low, last comp sold for $128K in Jan, etc.." I am still wondering if they realized that they said "We got" as opposed to "It got"? I sure as **** caught that Freudian slip. I have not spoken with them again and am probably going to cut them loose.

It would be great if more homeowner's were selling FSBO, especially in this day of information availability on the internet. A little research goes a long way, and you learn with each transaction.

In real estate you need 6 things:

1) A buyer
2) A seller
3) An experienced real estate attorney (there are plenty)
4) An LO if you are not paying cash
5) An inspector, if you so choose(there are plenty)
6) Comps and to know your market area

It isn't rocket science.

Last edited by photogal9; 04-27-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top