Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 7,639,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
For what it's worth, in Florida there are several companies that sell MLS listing services only with no other contractual obligations. I've used them, it's a flat fee to list your property on MLS and nothing else. This is one of them, for example:

https://www.beycome.com/select-package/FL

I also engage the services of an experienced real estate attorney as well. I've sold several homes this way quite successfully and saved a significant amount of money in the process.

RM
Me Too! The commission money looks so much better in my pocket and it is always a good idea to use a professional real estate attorney to monitor the process. Glad you can see through the b.s.!

Hopefully, enough information now online the tactics will no longer work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,306,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Me Too! The commission money looks so much better in my pocket and it is always a good idea to use a professional real estate attorney to monitor the process. Glad you can see through the b.s.!

Hopefully, enough information now online the tactics will no longer work.
I have both bought and sold a number of properties without the use of a real estate agent, only a trusted and very competent real estate attorney. It makes the process go so much easier and avoids all of the BS that comes with someone trying to market properties to you. I will say that going this way is not for everyone, however, someone who is willing to invest the time and effort in the process for the largest purchase they'll ever make in their lives will find it to be quite rewarding in the end, both personally and financially.

We especially appreciate the presence of an attorney in the process, as when there are hiccups the minute our attorney gets involved things suddenly seem to get worked out. Not sure why that is, but...

RM

Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM

5,084 posts, read 3,015,337 times
Most states have all the necessary forms available online free of charge. A vanilla FSBO deal requires both parties to fill them out, then the seller takes the signed documents and earnest money deposit to a title company and they schedule the closing date. Money changes hands, the deal is done.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
For what it's worth, in Florida there are several companies that sell MLS listing services only with no other contractual obligations. I've used them, it's a flat fee to list your property on MLS and nothing else. This is one of them, for example:

https://www.beycome.com/select-package/FL

I also engage the services of an experienced real estate attorney as well. I've sold several homes this way quite successfully and saved a significant amount of money in the process.

RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
You do realize that a FSBO can pay a small fee to a realtor to have their property listed on the MLS without signing any contractual obligations regarding the sale of that the property?

When you are on a MLS system, a listing agreement has been executed with a real estate agent. The listing agreement is for "entry only services." So legally there is a listing agreement, but the agreement is for entry into the MLS with no other services. So there is a legal listing agreement and a contract in place for one service and only one service. MLS entry.

Listing agreements do not need to have a full range of services to be considered listing agreements. Most FSBO's that do entry only listing agreements, don't see it as a listing agreement because they only get the one service. A real estate agent cannot market a property, which is what the MLS is, without an executed contract to do so. That contract is informally called a listing agreement.

You all are saying the same thing as 2B is saying, but you just aren't calling it that. An entry only MLS listing is an executed contract with a real estate agent as required by state laws to market a property. It is just limited in scope to that one service and nothing else.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,177 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
When you are on a MLS system, a listing agreement has been executed with a real estate agent. The listing agreement is for "entry only services." So legally there is a listing agreement, but the agreement is for entry into the MLS with no other services. So there is a legal listing agreement and a contract in place for one service and only one service. MLS entry.

Listing agreements do not need to have a full range of services to be considered listing agreements. Most FSBO's that do entry only listing agreements, don't see it as a listing agreement because they only get the one service. A real estate agent cannot market a property, which is what the MLS is, without an executed contract to do so. That contract is informally called a listing agreement.

You all are saying the same thing as 2B is saying, but you just aren't calling it that. An entry only MLS listing is an executed contract with a real estate agent as required by state laws to market a property. It is just limited in scope to that one service and nothing else.
The protections the seller gets from these agreements stem from the MLS rules which prohibit MLS members from soliciting that FSBO to list and sell.
Otherwise the listing would be a beacon to agents and the seller would be inundated by solicitations from agents who approach FSBO sellers to list for them.

"At least where I am in Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC..."

Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,167,267 times
See my sisters nightmare using FSBO and local agents, they did not leave her alone with their solicitations.

For sale by owner "blacklisted" by buyers agents

Old 04-24-2018, 08:44 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
I think it's reasonable to assume that state-required disclosures are available from some state source, not only through agents.

there are types of fee-for-service outfits that part of their limited representation is to provide you forms commonly used by agents in your market.

I don't know of any MLS that allows, and really don't know why they would, a property to be listed on the MLS without some level, no matter how minor (entry only), of representation

Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 7,639,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
See my sisters nightmare using FSBO and local agents, they did not leave her alone with their solicitations.

For sale by owner "blacklisted" by buyers agents
It is always fun to see them frothing at the mouth when they think might lose a commission. Sadly, many have forgotten that in the United States of America we have the right to chose who and whether we enter a contract. I hope that many will read these threads and understand that it isn't rocket science to sell your own property or buy one. No one should have a monopoly controlled by he commissioned sales people who act in their own financial interest.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:19 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The protections the seller gets from these agreements stem from the MLS rules which prohibit MLS members from soliciting that FSBO to list and sell.
Otherwise the listing would be a beacon to agents and the seller would be inundated by solicitations from agents who approach FSBO sellers to list for them.

"At least where I am in Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC..."
Same here. In Oregon, we can't solicit another agents' listing, even limited rep listings. Doing a limited rep listing can be a great thing for FSBO's that way. Agents should not be soliciting their listing if they are on the MLS.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,959,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Same here. In Oregon, we can't solicit another agents' listing, even limited rep listings. Doing a limited rep listing can be a great thing for FSBO's that way. Agents should not be soliciting their listing if they are on the MLS.
Agreed. And very little frothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate