U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM

1,679 posts, read 766,610 times

Advertisements

When I was shopping for our house and we were in another city, I quickly learned to avoid the obviously photo shopped listings. I also learned to avoid any listing from a realtor if the same person was chronically posting photos like that. I really resented the waste of time/money, especially since I had to travel a long way to see a house that wasn't the same as the photos.

Photos are a god send, but only realistic ones. I wish realtors knew that getting more visitors to a listing doesn't mean it's going to sell more quickly. It just means you'll get more people who visited and then left feeling ticked off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 AM

1,679 posts, read 766,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I also learned to avoid any listing from a realtor if the same person was chronically posting photos like that.
On a related note, I also learned to avoid listings from realtors who post photos of themselves that are 20 or more years out of whack. When I see deceptive photos of a realtor, I figure the photos of their listings are likely to be deceptive too.

When I was looking at houses last year, I saw a few people who did this. They were ladies in their 50s or 60s who were using photos of themselves taken when they were 20, maybe 30 at most. I never could figure out why they did that, they were lovely women even if they were in their 60s.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 AM

6,324 posts, read 9,026,282 times
A friend of mine is VERY interested in the sale of the house across the street from him (long story). So, he's been watching it closely. He texted me last night to let me know the listing agent put up a photo of the front of the house and through photoshop they changed the garage door to a much nicer one and added shutters. The house looks MUCH better in the new photo but there's no disclosure in the listing saying the photo has been altered digitally. Buried at the end of the photos is another one that shows the house as it actually is but if you flip through them quickly it's easy to miss.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 AM

31,594 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
A friend of mine is VERY interested in the sale of the house across the street from him (long story). So, he's been watching it closely. He texted me last night to let me know the listing agent put up a photo of the front of the house and through photoshop they changed the garage door to a much nicer one and added shutters. The house looks MUCH better in the new photo but there's no disclosure in the listing saying the photo has been altered digitally. Buried at the end of the photos is another one that shows the house as it actually is but if you flip through them quickly it's easy to miss.
Bleah. Not good.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 AM

20,957 posts, read 15,275,811 times
Absolutely. The pictures are there to generate interest.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,495,798 times
Obviously a smart RE agent with a good eye for art and layout will be able to take the best pictures from the best angles and cut out what doesn't look good.

That's the case that I started this OP about. When you see the listing the home is photographed from angles that make it look nice, when you see it in person, not so much.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM

13,104 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Boy have I ever . I remember being really interested in a nice house and even went as far to have the home inspector come out and he turned the oven on and it started smoking . the owner it seems had put dirty clothes in the oven real quickly . This got me to thinking how does it look behind the washer and dryer sure enough she was dirty, there were clothes everywhere in the laundry room and in the garage . I mean I know women work and are single mother heck I was one but my house was always clean even with kids . And the photos made it look so pretty . Luckily the women had changed her mind about selling and now I drive through that neighborhood and thank God I did not buy that house . The neighborhood looks like world war three has hit it . In just three years it has deteriorated so badly .

Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 PM

1,232 posts, read 478,697 times
Realtors and car dealers are cut from the same cloth.

If they tell you what time it is, better check your watch to make sure of the time and that they haven't stolen your watch.

One more thing. Is anybody out there nave enough to believe that there is such a thing as a "buyer's agent"?

They don't get paid unless the house sells so who's interest do you think the buyer's agent is working for?

The three most important things about buying real estate aren't location, location, location, they are verification, verification, verification.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:31 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,050,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
One more thing. Is anybody out there nave enough to believe that there is such a thing as a "buyer's agent"?

They don't get paid unless the house sells so who's interest do you think the buyer's agent is working for?
The buyer's agent works for the BUYER.

In our business we serve more buyers than sellers, and I actually prefer being a buyer's agent over selling listings. Helping buyers is why we went into this business. So... don't tell me I don't exist!

Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM

1,779 posts, read 859,518 times
I think my biggest pet peeve right now is listing a mobile home as a single family residence. Not a modular, but a doublewide. I narrow down my choices to SFR and get a ton of mobile homes. There is an option to narrow it down by MH, but some agents think if they don't mark it that way, they might trick someone into buying one. Nope. Not what I am looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or