U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 PM

15,349 posts, read 8,020,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and the house looks really nice but when you get there it looks much worse?

I was walking my dogs past a house recently listed in my neighborhood. First of all it's about 30% overpriced
of even what a crazy person would pay for it, and dropped $5k the first week. There is only one comp that is close to it. Some of the other comps are 1/3 or less of the listing price.

it's a small/tiny starter home. 900 sq ft 3/2 Looks like an older roof too. Strange lot. about 1/3 acre but on a triangular block with only that home and an empty wooded lot behind it, making privacy and fencing a problem, plus the backyard itself is part of that overgrown Forrest.

They did clean up and paint the inside recently it looks like, no one was living in the home for a while. New carpets in the bedroom and tile floor in the living area, which is fine for Florida, as well as newer looking cheap white cabinets and new cheap stainless steel kitchen package.

They did a great job cleaning up the place and making the pictures look good. When you see it in person it won't look like the same house that's in the pictures from the outside.

They are also competing with much bigger homes in about the same condition for the same price.
I've been fooled both ways. The best foolery was when we looked at a house that had taken the worst possible photos they could have taken.....like they were trying to prevent a sale. We grabbed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 PM

31,591 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've been fooled both ways. The best foolery was when we looked at a house that had taken the worst possible photos they could have taken.....like they were trying to prevent a sale. We grabbed it.
Yup.
Never skip a house because the agent didn't provide quality photos. You ain't buyin art.
You are buying real estate.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You are actually supposed to measure and are expected to have the skill to measure, with use of an appraiser as the exception, not the rule.
wait, whaaaaaaa???

Quote:
Professional measurement obtained from previous appraisal ordered by sellers.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
wait, whaaaaaaa???

https://www.ncrec.gov/Brochures/Meas...let%202013.pdf

"Real estate agents are expected to be able to accurately calculate the square footage of most dwellings. When reporting square footage, whether to a party to a real estate transaction, another real estate agent, or others, a real estate agent is expected to provide accurate square footage information that was compiled using these Guidelines or comparable standards. "

"When an agent relies upon measurements and calculations personally performed by a competent appraiser or a more expert agent, the appraiser or agent must use these Guidelines or other comparable standards and the square footage reported must be specifically determined in connection with the current transaction. "

"Some sources of square footage information are by their very nature
unreliable. For example, an agent should not rely on square footage information determined by the property owner or included in property tax records. An agent should also not rely on square footage information included in a listing, appraisal report or survey prepared in connection with an earlier transaction."

Old 04-24-2018, 03:14 AM

4,679 posts, read 2,296,137 times
I'm looking for land right now and if I get lucky, the occasional manufactured home (or trailer) shows up in the same price range. The biggest problems out here are HOAs, usually around a lake, of which there are hundreds. The HOA fees run from $40 a year to $175 a month and it's up in the air what you get for that price and the listings never say, of course. Very few of them even list the HOA amounts.

Then there's the lots. I go to look at one that said it was two acres with a beautiful view and find out that yes, the view is beautiful, but the lot is 1/4 acre flat and the rest is over the side of a cliff. Or I go to see a lot and find out the perfectly paved road leading to it is actually something out of Mad Max. Once it took me 20 minutes to go two miles, the road was so rough, but that was actually a good thing. I was going to have to get my car aligned after the last "paved" road I traveled over, but this one knocked the car back into alignment.

I've looked at some lots on Google Earth and couldn't believe what was next to them (pop quiz: how many cars can you fit into half an acre?). Supposedly level lots had the humps of a giant rollercoaster and slightly sloping lots were crumbling down the cliff. Lightly wooded means you need a machete to get through the brush after the bulldozer's gone through and any listing telling you that utilities are at the street means a street a mile away and don't even bother because it's going to cost you an arm and a leg just to bring them into the property.

I've seen listings that claim there is a septic system on the property, and no one could find any paperwork of one; listings that say city services are available but don't tell you that you have to go through a neighbor's yard to bring them in; listings that give you an address and a map, and are so far off it's not even funny; listings that say all city utilities are available and then the agent tells me a sewer hook up can't be done and putting a septic in is cost prohibitive; listings I can't even find; listings that end up full of wetlands that can't be cleared or built on (one such wetland on a lot I looked at cut a 2.5 acre property in half, which meant you couldn't even access the back part of the property except on foot); and listings that included the neighbor's land in their plat maps.

I get my heart all set on a lot and find out the water share is $15,000, or the property has two inches of standing water after a hard rain, or it needs drains put in along the sides of the lot, or what I thought was a driveway was really an access road to the next property and it ran right next to the house site, or that an access road to the property meant a footpath two feet wide.

Then there's the water situation. Where I'm looking, no wells are being dug anymore, so a lot has to have water on it already or be able to be connected to water. I still see listings sayings "well will be needed" or "neighbor's well is only xx feet deep" or "easy to dig well".

We won't even talk about the properties I've seen with a house or mobile home on it. Let me put it this way: if I see one that isn't trashed, falling apart, or filled with junk, it would seem like a novelty. Seeing a clean trailer that just needed updating would make me start hyperventilating with joy.

These are the things I wish listings would be honest about. It would save everyone so much time and grief.

And what's scary: I've only been looking for 2 1/2 months. I can see it's gonna be a looooong summer.

Edited to add: oh, yeah, the pictures. Can I tell anyone how sick and tired I am of pictures that had to be taken from the air, from the middle of the road, or of the neighbor's yard and passed off as the views or property in the pictures? Grrrr.......when I sold my house, the realtor took a pic of my mailbox with the land behind it - and my house was way down the road! Just why?!?

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-24-2018 at 03:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 AM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

the water share is $15,000,
What's that?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 AM

7,746 posts, read 6,110,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
https://www.ncrec.gov/Brochures/Meas...let%202013.pdf

"Real estate agents are expected to be able to accurately calculate the square footage of most dwellings. When reporting square footage, whether to a party to a real estate transaction, another real estate agent, or others, a real estate agent is expected to provide accurate square footage information that was compiled using these Guidelines or comparable standards. "

"When an agent relies upon measurements and calculations personally performed by a competent appraiser or a more expert agent, the appraiser or agent must use these Guidelines or other comparable standards and the square footage reported must be specifically determined in connection with the current transaction. "

"Some sources of square footage information are by their very nature
unreliable. For example, an agent should not rely on square footage information determined by the property owner or included in property tax records. An agent should also not rely on square footage information included in a listing, appraisal report or survey prepared in connection with an earlier transaction."
yes sir, I was well aware. that was an actual quote from another listing on our MLS.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yes sir, I was well aware. that was an actual quote from another listing on our MLS.
Ahhhh...
Yup. All the time.

In the NC REC "The Slammer" bulletin for the last quarter was citation of an agent being suspended for very poor under-measurement numbers.
As it should be.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Then there's the water situation. Where I'm looking, no wells are being dug anymore, so a lot has to have water on it already or be able to be connected to water. I still see listings sayings "well will be needed" or "neighbor's well is only xx feet deep" or "easy to dig well".
Are you sure they're still not digging wells? Our recent issues with the Hirst Decision are on their way to being solved in most parts of the state... not sure where in particular you're looking though.

Quote:
We won't even talk about the properties I've seen with a house or mobile home on it. Let me put it this way: if I see one that isn't trashed, falling apart, or filled with junk, it would seem like a novelty. Seeing a clean trailer that just needed updating would make me start hyperventilating with joy.
If you're searching vacant land in particular, the house or mobiles you see will be junkers... any that are fixable would be listed in Homes for sale. The value in the junkers being there is in knowing there are likely connections you can find to water, septic and power.

Quote:
Edited to add: oh, yeah, the pictures. Can I tell anyone how sick and tired I am of pictures that had to be taken from the air, from the middle of the road, or of the neighbor's yard and passed off as the views or property in the pictures? Grrrr.......when I sold my house, the realtor took a pic of my mailbox with the land behind it - and my house was way down the road! Just why?!?
Sometimes, in Western WA, the only way to show the property is from the air... on the ground, without heavy machinery, it's just a wall of green.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:20 AM

974 posts, read 279,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've seen lots of listing photos showing odd corners of rooms; not even with windows or closet doors, just walls. Never did get that. Or of wall art, furniture closeups that show hardly anything of the room its sitting in. What's the appeal of giant lettering decor anyway?
I've seen this too, the pix of room corners or bare walls. All I can think is the person taking the picture must think what they are seeing with peripheral vision and even with looking around is what can be seen in the picture. But then I wonder don't they look at the picture before it goes online somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or