Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Every time I see a commercial on TV I get fooled by those big juicy Burgers, Tacos, Seafood photos that looks nothing like what I get at the drive through.

Actually, I don't get fooled. I know it's pretty advertising to get me into their Burger House.
Ain't that the truth. Here's a list of all the restaurants whose advertised food photos matched reality:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 11:08 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and the house looks really nice but when you get there it looks much worse?
House/price was great........drove out to see it only to find it was on a dirt road about 3/4 of a mile from pavement!

We didn't even get out of the car......dirt road no go!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:14 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
House/price was great........drove out to see it only to find it was on a dirt road about 3/4 of a mile from pavement!

We didn't even get out of the car......dirt road no go!
Wow... we probably couldn't get you to come for dinner

Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I've seen this too, the pix of room corners or bare walls. All I can think is the person taking the picture must think what they are seeing with peripheral vision and even with looking around is what can be seen in the picture. But then I wonder don't they look at the picture before it goes online somewhere.
I will admit empty bedrooms are hard to photograph. What does an empty bedroom look like except a corner?

But people look at the pictures and count bedrooms and get suspicious if they're not all there... so I think that probably explains it. From the corner pictures you can tell that it's a bedroom, and a color and a flooring. That's all you really need to know when you think about it.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Wow... we probably couldn't get you to come for dinner
One time thing sure.......dirt road every day, no way! Rains too much which means muddy mess!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
I just saw a listing the other day with all blurry pictures. I don't know if they resized them from thumbnail sized files or have bad vision. It's crazy that someone selling their own house wouldn't bother to check an online listing to see if there are any problems or errors.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I will admit empty bedrooms are hard to photograph. What does an empty bedroom look like except a corner?

But people look at the pictures and count bedrooms and get suspicious if they're not all there... so I think that probably explains it. From the corner pictures you can tell that it's a bedroom, and a color and a flooring. That's all you really need to know when you think about it.
Neighbor had a smaller bedroom and had the house professionally staged (moved all her stuff out), realtor refurnished the house. In the small bedroom they put a crib, room looked great. House sold in one weekend, multiple offers.

On the staging, she was moving anyway (built new house) so she basically packed up a month early and had the realtor stage the place. Neat trick that paid off nicely!

Old 04-24-2018, 11:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Neighbor had a smaller bedroom and had the house professionally staged (moved all her stuff out), realtor refurnished the house. In the small bedroom they put a crib, room looked great. House sold in one weekend, multiple offers.

On the staging, she was moving anyway (built new house) so she basically packed up a month early and had the realtor stage the place. Neat trick that paid off nicely!
Small rooms always look better furnished, otherwise you walk in and can't picture how anything will fit. One trick I learned that people do from the show Texas flip and move is to keep the bedroom sparsely furnished to make it look bigger. Normally they only state it with a bed and 2 nightstands.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Very, very rarely.

With Google Maps/Earth/Street View, you can tell where the home is located, size of yard, anything desirable/undesirable nearby. Type of street/neighborhood, etc. You also obviously get a full 360 degree view of everything.

Then inside...

In my market, floor plans are the norm so you can see all room sizes and the full layout and flow. From the pics, you can usually tell with a high degree of accuracy:

-Is it neglected?
-Is it taken care of but not updated (e.g. older people with pride and money to keep it up but just not updated)
-Updated - and you can usually tell the quality pretty well and adherence to the history and original design.

Often I don't know the age/quality of the systems, etc but that's not a matter of photos so another topic.
What I found more often was a home where there were small details that weren't totally evident in pictures.

Roof condition is one, major cut corners in recent updates another, and homes that were neglected, but rapidly scrubbed up, so that the pictures looked fine but closer evaluation shower more concerns. None of that was tomfoolery with the camera, just closer details one might not notice until right upon them.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
One time thing sure.......dirt road every day, no way! Rains too much which means muddy mess!
Funny what criteria people have. Personally I prefer unpaved neighborhoods as I look for more rural settings with larger lots, more of what was the native vegetation/woodland, better chance to see wildlife, less neighborhood through traffic (no arterials that are paved) and lower vehicle speeds which can translate into peace and quiet. Hmm, haven't lived on a paved road for about 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate