U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 PM

13,165 posts, read 18,807,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We weigh houses and use that to sell houses by the pound.
Kilogram
The USA is officially metric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:38 PM

4,650 posts, read 7,092,833 times
Pittsburgh is a city that oddly does not list square footage in its real estate listings, information about the listing which I think is right up there at the top as what you would want to know about it.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 AM

957 posts, read 610,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
She said, "We don't talk about houses in terms of square footage these days. We talk about how many bedrooms and baths it has."
In North Carolina, you can do a search on the web page of our local realtor and all the listings (even those not listed with that realtor) are done by square footage.

And their inspector, as well as your inspector, will come along and measure the house and property.

Complete bull**** if they say that they don't talk about houses in terms of square footage.

Yes, they do talk about number of rooms. But they have to survey the property.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 AM

31,672 posts, read 55,479,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
In North Carolina, you can do a search on the web page of our local realtor and all the listings (even those not listed with that realtor) are done by square footage.

And their inspector, as well as your inspector, will come along and measure the house and property.

Complete bull**** if they say that they don't talk about houses in terms of square footage.

Yes, they do talk about number of rooms. But they have to survey the property.
I'm in NC and have never seen an inspector measure or survey a property.
Some REALTORS® will measure a property, but I have never seen a REALTOR® survey a property.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:21 AM

6,082 posts, read 7,071,911 times
When a real estate agent or an appraiser measures a property the result may differ from the one the tax department has. Sometimes the outer dimensions are used, sometimes all of the rooms are added up, sometimes the rooms are added but an estimate of wall thickness is added in. I don't think the exact number matters, but it is nice to get in the ballpark.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 801,408 times
Quote:
When I bought my first house after the divorce, I asked the realtor about the square footage. She said, "We don't talk about houses in terms of square footage these days. We talk about how many bedrooms and baths it has."
Ha ha ha, I'll bet she talks about sf when it's a bigger house. A 3br house with 4500 sf is a lot different from a 3br house with 1500 sf.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 AM

4,953 posts, read 4,250,859 times
Quote:
When I bought my first house after the divorce, I asked the realtor about the square footage. She said, "We don't talk about houses in terms of square footage these days. We talk about how many bedrooms and baths it has."

I don't think that is strictly true. But the realtor might be thinking in those terms.

Or she/he might not list it because it is small enough that it would scare you off from even considering it.
I've never heard a realtor say that. What a crock! If a realtor couldn't tell me the sq ftg of a listing he/she was showing me, I'd get another realtor. It's a very basic question and extremely valuable to a buyer in order to compare price per sq ft. It's certainly not the only thing one is going to be considering, but an important way to reduce a comparison to an apples-to-apples type equation, and what many appraisals and comps are going to be based upon.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 AM

9,147 posts, read 3,751,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I heard something (in TN) about a liability when you advertise the exact sf in case it's off a little. something like that.
??? real estate taxes and appraisals used to come up with the tax calculations are all public records... in every state/county in the us, Tennessee isnt an exception

Tennessee Property Data Home Page

if mls isnt listing them, go to the county webpage and find it yourself

Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 AM

4,953 posts, read 4,250,859 times
One reason a square footage might not be listed is in the case of an un-permitted addition. If the sq ftg the assessor has does not match the actual measured sq ftg, the difference is often the basement finished without a permit, or the room addition, or garage conversion done without a permit, etc. The building department doesn't like that so much. It's a bigger deal in some areas than others.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:33 AM

31,672 posts, read 55,479,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I've never heard a realtor say that. What a crock! If a realtor couldn't tell me the sq ftg of a listing he/she was showing me, I'd get another realtor. It's a very basic question and extremely valuable to a buyer in order to compare price per sq ft. It's certainly not the only thing one is going to be considering, but an important way to reduce a comparison to an apples-to-apples type equation, and what many appraisals and comps are going to be based upon.
Not exactly, not always.
In many areas, MLSs only report ranges of SF. I.e., "3500--4000SF."

When people stop suing, or threatening to sue, over 10SF differences, or a 2" difference in a dining room measurement, some of those areas may offer more detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or