U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:38 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yep, it's been about 20 years. I was from out of the area. I gave my realtor a list of what I wanted in a house and three neighborhoods. She lined up 7 houses for me to see when I came to town. Four of those were EXACTLY what I wanted! I bought one and lived there until I moved to Iowa.

She LISTENED and TOOK NOTES, something I haven't seen anyone do since then. She knew the area! Selling real estate was truly her passion.

But apparently, things have totally changed.

Okay, I get that . . .
You should still be able to find someone who will do that for you. You just haven't found the right agent yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 04:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,446,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You should still be able to find someone who will do that for you. You just haven't found the right agent yet.
You made me smile! (-:

Thanks!

I will work on my attitude . . . and keep looking.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm confused. Your agent was aware that the house needed $10k in foundation repair but didn't tell you or your agent hadn't been in the house and when you walked in together, and then said this house needs $10k worth of foundation repairs?
I wasn't going to get into all this . . . Briefly . . . I found an older agent who had his "intern" show all the houses, plus he hadn't been in half of them himself, but I didn't know that until I phoned to see this one house in a target neighborhood. The twenty-something intern was late, couldn't open the lock box and had to get someone else to come 20 minutes later, hadn't seen the house . . . and then I saw the foundation and had to hide my emotions. Really, it was that bad.

I promptly fired the agent (and told him why). That agent has since retired.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only thing that has happened. But that's enough for today.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:09 PM

9,255 posts, read 7,284,180 times
I haven't bought a house in 20 years but I'm buying next year. I would insist on doing the pre-visit legwork on my own before I would set up an appointment for a showing. I already know the top three zip codes I want. I'll give my realtor a list of requirements and preferences but I'll also find listings on my own by scouring Zillow and a few foreclosure sites. To me, a realtor is nothing more than the help who handles the paperwork and lets me in for showings.

Why would a realtor have been in all of the listed houses?

Last edited by charlygal; 04-22-2018 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 08:14 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,756,846 times
No one has mentioned the way the internet has changed things. Used to be, an exterior photo was all you had before you went looking at houses. Now, you get 25-30 pictures and the buyer can eliminate the house with the tiny kitchen, the terrible driveway, the little bedroom closets, etc. all from their computer.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I haven't bought a house in 20 years but ........ To me, a realtor is nothing more than the help who handles the paperwork and lets me in for showings.
Why would a realtor have been in all of the listed houses?
A. I use a walker part of the time. Mobility is an issue.

B. In the "olden days," like 1978, agents knew all the listings in their office and often many more. That's
just how business was done. I used to photograph properties for several realtors. Good times!

It was just a different world back then. The MLS and all that stuff was in bound hard copies . . . and came out weekly.

I know, I know. It's 2018!

Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM

3,583 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Yes, it's a seller's market, and the real estate agents are taking advantage of it, just like they did last time, to sit on their high horses and make you the buyer grovel. I can remember quite well when you had to all but make a presentation to get an agent to even talk to you in the first place, and if you didn't buy one of the first three houses they showed you, they were done with you, wouldn't even answer your calls.

In a few years when the housing market tanks again, they will be flocking around your door begging for your business just like in 2010.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:29 PM

202 posts, read 118,071 times
Things have just changed largely with the internet. 30 years ago it was different. You didn't have listings online. You didn't have pics of the house that you can look at. Now there is so much more information that is available for the buyer. I like it. Back when the agent recommended houses to me (yes, I bought back then) the agent might recommend houses that I didn't like and there might have been houses I liked the agent didn't. I like being able to make my own choices.

I haven't had an agent tell me drive by the house in advance but if I'm seriously interested in looking at a house I will do it if I have time. I've weeded out a lot of houses that way.

I think the biggest disconnect is what you think the buyer's agent brings to the table. I don't look to the buyer's agent to find a house for me. In the modern world, I can usually find houses just as quickly as the agent. I am currently under contract to buy a house. There are a couple of houses that my agent did find for me that I couldn't have found by myself. These are houses that are not yet listed but are upcoming.

But most of what is helpful to me with an agent is (1) specific knowledge regarding the area as a whole, (2) specific knowledge regarding the market and what is common in it, and (3) help with negotiating and closing the deal.

In my case, we moved about 250 miles to a new area. I was generally familiar with it (grew up there) but not with the real estate market. It has been helpful to have an agent who really specializes in the area where we are buying. While she doesn't preview houses for me in a number of cases she had been in the house before. I remember one house that I wondered why it hadn't sold. It seemed under value and I felt there must be something wrong with the house. There was and she knew. (BTW on some houses I asked to see the disclosures before I went and looked at the house so I would know about anything like a foundation problem).

I am in an extreme seller's market with very low inventory. How things are typically done in this market is quite different to what is done where I moved from (in the same state). So it is helpful to have someone who knows this. As far as negotiating the deal and looking at comps, I like having someone who is working for me and not the seller....

Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,047,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, it's a seller's market, and the real estate agents are taking advantage of it, just like they did last time, to sit on their high horses and make you the buyer grovel. I can remember quite well when you had to all but make a presentation to get an agent to even talk to you in the first place, and if you didn't buy one of the first three houses they showed you, they were done with you, wouldn't even answer your calls.

In a few years when the housing market tanks again, they will be flocking around your door begging for your business just like in 2010.
Some agents are busier than others. And some agents give better customer service than others.... no doubt about it. But I no longer even try to get up on high horses with my bad knee, and I don't know one agent who actually wants a client to grovel.

I mean really... Who has time for that?

Not me... I work pretty hard to make the clients I have, happy.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:23 AM

5,668 posts, read 7,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
A. I use a walker part of the time. Mobility is an issue.

B. In the "olden days," like 1978, agents knew all the listings in their office and often many more. That's
just how business was done. I used to photograph properties for several realtors. Good times!

It was just a different world back then. The MLS and all that stuff was in bound hard copies . . . and came out weekly.

I know, I know. It's 2018!
How specific is your wishlist for a house? If it's pretty specific and only a few homes meet it, then I think it would be reasonable to expect an agent to tour at least a couple of them first if you requested if you told them about specific things that were dealbreakers (of course it doesn't hurt if they know you're ready to buy now). I recently sold my home in less than a week and I believe there was an agent preview, so it still happens.

But if there are a lot of homes that meet the criteria, the best way to rule some out is for you to drive by them, and you're going to know better what you like in a neighborhood/exterior than the agent. Did you mention any specific neighborhoods to the agents you spoke to? If so, were they familiar with them at all?

Serious question, does your mobility issue effect your driving? If you are able to eliminate some homes by driving by them, that is saving you time by not needing to set up a full tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or