U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:40 AM

7,086 posts, read 5,259,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
A. I use a walker part of the time. Mobility is an issue.

B. In the "olden days," like 1978, agents knew all the listings in their office and often many more. That's
just how business was done. I used to photograph properties for several realtors. Good times!

It was just a different world back then. The MLS and all that stuff was in bound hard copies . . . and came out weekly.

I know, I know. It's 2018!
Just a thought, but you might want to explain your situation to prospective agents, so they get the idea that you are a serious buyer and have a reason for what you're asking for.

Just say, "I use a walker part time, I can't be getting out and around easily, and if I want to see a house, you can assume I like the neighborhood. Anything that's visible in agents notes is helpful as I don't have the stomach for major repairs..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,570,645 times
Quote:
This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I find a realtor, besides going to the listing agent and representing myself, who actually goes to houses in his/her area?

Maybe I'm not going to the right offices, but I keep running into realtors who want me to "sign up on the computer and drive by" anywhere I want to see and then call them. They can't give me any real information about the neighborhood or tell me anything about the house, other than what the listing says.

Why do I need them? I can just go to the listing agent and make an offer based on my study of the comps, but I'd really like to find a knowledgeable agent who can listen to my needs and then recommend some properties that he or she has personally seen, as well as tell me whether or not they are over-priced.

Or is this just expecting too much in 2018?

I'm in Des Moines, Iowa.
First of all they can't give you much info on a neighborhood. They can't tell you what is a good or bad area because that can be racial profiling.

I don't understand. You have a RE agent and they won't set up appointments to go see houses with you?

I would not stick to the local agent and I would find an online site where homes are listed and fill out the info for them to contact you. You will find agents who are eager to help you. Several will call you and you can ask them about your experience etc. That's how I found my RE agent, he was great, worked for a respected Brokerage and knew a lot about homes, interior and exterior. as well as what siding to avoid and what trees were bad in those yards. I was looking at starter homes too, so he wasn't making a great commission. I mentioned that homes he shows me that may not be right for me or not be able to be financed may be right for his investor clients.

A home fell thru because of an appraisal problem, a previous one fell thru because they would not turn the water on for inspection. We kept looking and investors were buying up all the starter homes. Finally I wanted to see 2 more and he told me to drive by first. I did and we saw both those homes and I bought one of them. We went out a total of 4 or 5 times.

Also if you make it clear that you are ready to buy and not just looking they may be more inclined to help you.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 877,121 times
In the past two years, I have worked with many real estate agents (buying a house, helping my dad buy a house, helping my dad buy a piece of land, selling our house, helping my dad sell his house and helping my dad sell a vacation home), one agent was the agent for all the purchases and all of the purchases took place 250 miles from where we lived at the time. That agent made a lot of money in a very short time off from the commission from our purchases, but couldn't be bothered to show us all the houses we tried to fit in on the weekends when we could make it up here. Instead, I had to take an extra day off from work so we could do drive bys on every single property before she was willing to take us to see them. We missed out on several homes we were seriously interested in, but would be under contract by the time we could make it up there (would have made a special trip if she had previewed and told us that they were as great as they looked on the internet).

HOWEVER, we had the best agent ever help us sell my dad's vacation property. She scheduled all the contractors for us, held the checks until the work was done to her satisfaction and only asked me to drive the 4 1/2 hours once and that was to meet with the landscapers because she wasn't sure what I wanted. She worked triple time, when one sale fell through at the last minute, she had another buyer (who did buy it) at the house the next day. If I ever get my real estate license, I will be an agent like her. She was awesome!

So there are wonderful agents out there, you just have to find the right one, or in our case, the right one will find you (the vacation home had been listed with another agent, but the good agent had shown the home several times and actually considered buying it herself because she liked it so much).

Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 PM

13,757 posts, read 31,661,700 times
Quote:
I wasn't going to get into all this . . . Briefly . . . I found an older agent who had his "intern" show all the houses, plus he hadn't been in half of them himself, but I didn't know that until I phoned to see this one house in a target neighborhood. The twenty-something intern was late, couldn't open the lock box and had to get someone else to come 20 minutes later, hadn't seen the house . . . and then I saw the foundation and had to hide my emotions. Really, it was that bad.

I promptly fired the agent (and told him why). That agent has since retired.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only thing that has happened. But that's enough for today.
Got it. Teams have become very common since you were last looking. It is really important that you interview buyer agents and ASK if you will be passed on to someone else. Teams commonly have showing agents, which is how rookies often start, and then just show homes and have little knowledge. That isn't what you are wanting.

You will want to interview and hire an agent that isn't part of a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post

I think the biggest disconnect is what you think the buyer's agent brings to the table.
No, I don't think there is a disconnect, now that I understand what kind of issues the OP is facing. I think the OP didn't understand the team model that has permeated real estate and changed the buyer agent dynamic for people that choose to work with teams.

The OP is looking for an experienced agent (7+ years) that sells around 20+ homes a year so that they have enough home knowledge to be helpful in weeding things out for the OP, but not so many homes that they get farmed off to a rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
First of all they can't give you much info on a neighborhood. They can't tell you what is a good or bad area because that can be racial profiling.
We can chat a lot about neighborhoods. You do realize that neighborhoods have more to offer than racial/ethnic profiling?

Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 PM

1,259 posts, read 493,446 times
Quote:
This is going to sound really dumb, but how do I find a realtor, besides going to the listing agent and representing myself, who actually goes to houses in his/her area?

Maybe I'm not going to the right offices, but I keep running into realtors who want me to "sign up on the computer and drive by" anywhere I want to see and then call them. They can't give me any real information about the neighborhood or tell me anything about the house, other than what the listing says.

Why do I need them?

You don't.

You can find real estate ads online with addresses. You can go look at them and then call the listing agent if interested.

You can get lots of information from the county assessor, tax office, and recorder.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 2,089,074 times
I think Silverfall is on the right track.... Our OP just hasn't found the right agent that is willing to help her yet. But that agent is out there.

OP... Did you say, have you posted in your local group here at City Data? Maybe there is someone there, or someone who knows a good agent who will take serve you well.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:34 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,492,702 times
Diana, I got several DMs with local recommendations and a reminder to stay away from x, y, and z (several firms who hire sharks). I'll be interviewing the recommended buyer's agents soon. Thanks for caring!

Old 04-23-2018, 03:45 PM

31,697 posts, read 55,531,149 times
Quote:
Diana, I got several DMs with local recommendations and a reminder to stay away from x, y, and z (several firms who hire sharks). I'll be interviewing the recommended buyer's agents soon. Thanks for caring!
Did you receive DMs from agents? If so, did you request such DMs?
If you did not, you should report every single DM from any agent to CD moderation.

That sort of solicitation is a clear breach of CD Terms of Service.
No one should be pestering CD members via solicitation.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM

9,356 posts, read 7,365,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It sounds like you are drawing conclusions based on the racial demographics of a neighborhood. You sound like you are a part of the problem.

People of color don't automatically make it a bad neighborhood. White people don't automatically make it a good neighborhood.

Architecture, schools, families vs singles, average home price, etc are all good ways to discuss a neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:54 PM

17,460 posts, read 14,937,725 times
I think it is different today. Back then you were dependent on a realtor to locate available properties, now they are all on Zillow, Realtor.com, etc. I found the homes I wanted to see from those sites, then texted the realtor the addresses. He then called to set up a day and time, and we'd just meet at the first house and go from there. I also did drive-by's to see if I liked the homes/area first. I found it easier than having to see homes that didn't match what I wanted, while on the sites you can choose to see only homes with certain features.

In any case, we got him via Zillow, and he was awesome. Had I wanted him to recommend homes he would have. I am surprised more wouldn't, but I think more people today are like me due to the ease of finding homes online today, so the practice of real estate has changed along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or